Georgetown v. UT: Anything I am not considering? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Georgetown, COA: $210,00
18%
Texas, COA: $112,000
82%

Total votes: 61

juevonate

New

Georgetown v. UT: Anything I am not considering?

Post by juevonate » Mon May 02, 2011 10:24 am

Relevant facts:

1. I want to work with asylum-seekers and refugees, and my only interest is in public interest work

2. Though my family lives in the DC area, I feel more at home in Texas, and have more friends and connections there.

3. I'm a relatively low-stress individual, and I was really struck by the high-stress (dare I say misery) of the students at Georgetown, compared to the relative relaxation and happiness of the students at UT. Austin seems awesome

4. UT has one clinic that deals with asylum, but that is just as part of the general immigration clinic. Austin appears to have just one organization where I would be able to do pro bono work with asylum-seekers and refugees.

Georgetown has a clinic (Though difficult to get into) that solely deals with asylum-seekers, and obviously offers a wealth of pro bono opportunities. Georgetown also has a certification program for work with refugees (basically meaningless, but obviously something that would give me significant training.)

4. I am planning on using the IBR/loan forgiveness, especially if I went to Georgetown. Georgetown's LRAP program is better than UT's on the surface, although UT's does not require you to enroll in the IBR, and if I ostensibly might be able to reasonably actually pay off my loans, even with a moderate PI salary if I went to UT....giving me security if the IBR fails.

5. I am hoping to get off the waitlist at Michigan or NYU.

Anything I'm not considering?

bdubs

Gold

Re: Georgetown v. UT: Anything I am not considering?

Post by bdubs » Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 am

Re: IBR

I don't know the two systems for these schools, but most schools have an income floor. You should look into whether you would be under the income floor at most immigration jobs anyway, because in that case the LRAP differences might not matter.

ETA: I voted for UT. It sounds like it just fits you better.

ajcollege

New

Post by ajcollege » Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 am

juevonate wrote:Relevant facts:
3. I'm a relatively low-stress individual, and I was really struck by the high-stress (dare I say misery) of the students at Georgetown, compared to the relative relaxation and happiness of the students at UT.
Can you detail/explain this? What exactly made them seem high-stress?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:26 am

You aren't considering there is almost no reason for you to choose Gtown over UT with that price difference, much less if you actually like UT better.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 am

Regarding stress, I attended a class at GULC in March and the students there were laughing and talking before the beginning of class (large section torts). They seemed happy to be there. FWIW. But I would choose UT with big scholly over Gtown at sticker, especially with your career path and personal remarks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 am

Since your interest isn't in govt work, I'd say Hook em Horns

juevonate

New

Post by juevonate » Mon May 02, 2011 2:44 pm

ajcollege wrote:
3. I'm a relatively low-stress individual, and I was really struck by the high-stress (dare I say misery) of the students at Georgetown, compared to the relative relaxation and happiness of the students at UT.
It seemed like everyone had just accepted that law school was miserable...talked about studying three hours for every hour of class each week. I get intense studying, 45+ class as an average seems a bit much.
AreJay711 wrote:You aren't considering there is almost no reason for you to choose Gtown over UT with that price difference, much less if you actually like UT better.
THE reason why Georgetown is still so tempting is because in terms of connecting me with opportunities to get hands on experience and connections in the asylum law/ international refugee field, being in DC at Georgetown offers a sick number of opportunities.

Also, since I'll qualify for the IBR, and am commited to Public Interest work as a career path, the cost difference isn't as important as it would usually

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:07 pm

juevonate wrote:
ajcollege wrote:
It seemed like everyone had just accepted that law school was miserable...talked about studying three hours for every hour of class each week. I get intense studying, 45+ class as an average seems a bit much.
AreJay711 wrote:You aren't considering there is almost no reason for you to choose Gtown over UT with that price difference, much less if you actually like UT better.
THE reason why Georgetown is still so tempting is because in terms of connecting me with opportunities to get hands on experience and connections in the asylum law/ international refugee field, being in DC at Georgetown offers a sick number of opportunities.

Also, since I'll qualify for the IBR, and am commited to Public Interest work as a career path, the cost difference isn't as important as it would usually
More opportunites than Texas? With drug lords tearing shit up and all the people comming from Mexico? Maybe but it isn't like there is no work in that field in TX. I'd also be wary orf saying "I'm not worried about the money I take in debt" when things might change over the next 5 - 10 years and you might opt for more pay or something.

juevonate

New

Post by juevonate » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:39 pm

Georgetown it is! (No, seriously, I officially turned down Texas and am going to Georgetown)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:20 am

Go to the higher ranked law school. :D

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:05 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Go to the higher ranked law school. :D
lulz

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”