. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:05 pm

Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: Convince me I'm not crazy

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:Or tell me I am. Your call.

I've pretty much decided to attend SMU with a substantial scholarship that would make tuition about $8,500 per year. Sent in the seat deposit and all. Enjoyed Dallas when I visited.

I also got offered a full ride to Kansas. It's a lower ranked school and I didn't enjoy the feel of it as much when I visited. I also got the impression that not many of their students have jobs lined up. But Kansas City is my hometown, and I would be happy living there after graduation. Though it's not necessarily the norm, I know some people who have been very successful with Kansas law degrees. And KU just sent me an e-mail asking if I've made my decision, and it has me second-guessing myself.

So am I crazy for turning down a free law degree?
at $8,500/yr at SMU, i dont think you're making the wrong decision, provided you're happy working in Dallas and maybe Houston post-graduation. Certainly better job prospects (in those cities).

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Go to SMU, excel, and you will have some solid options on the other side of graduation.

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:09 pm

I think the 25k or so tuition cost of SMU, even with interest, is worth it if you truly feel better at the school. We aren't talking 50k more or something like that.

But...what stipulations are on both of the scholarships. And what is your definition of successful.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
mpj_3050 wrote:I think the 25k or so tuition cost of SMU, even with interest, is worth it if you truly feel better at the school. We aren't talking 50k more or something like that.

But...what stipulations are on both of the scholarships. And what is your definition of successful.
Ah, forgot to mention stipulations. SMU is good standing. KU is 3.2, which is about top third. That was another thing that made me a bit nervous.

I would say "successful" is getting a job after graduation that allows me to live comfortably with my debt load. I would like to have a shot at biglaw, but I'm not dead set on it.
Go to SMU

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
mpj_3050 wrote:I think the 25k or so tuition cost of SMU, even with interest, is worth it if you truly feel better at the school. We aren't talking 50k more or something like that.

Ah, forgot to mention stipulations. SMU is good standing. KU is 3.2, which is about top third. That was another thing that made me a bit nervous.

I would say "successful" is getting a job after graduation that allows me to live comfortably with my debt load. I would like to have a shot at biglaw, but I'm not dead set on it.
You sir (ma'am?) would be completely out of your mind to not go to SMU.

Good day, sir.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:25 pm

definitely SMU with those stips

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:

A top 1/3 stip is way too steep. It's worth the extra money at SMU to have a scholarship that isn't at risk and to be at the school you prefer. Also, with your strong ties to Kansas, I doubt going to SMU will preclude you from being able to get a job there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Yes, with your goals, scholly stips, cost, etc.

SMU is TCR.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Your choice is between living in Kansas and living in Dallas?

I don't like Dallas but Dallas >>>>>>>>> Kansas

Also scholarship stipulations are for suckers. Go to SMU.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:55 pm

SMU is the obvious choice. How would you feel if you land at the top 34% mark? That's right. You will cry so hard. Go to SMU.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sun May 01, 2011 12:44 pm

I noticed on your profile that you have a 165+ 4.0. Im surprised you didnt get into UT?

Im pretty sure you can crack the t14. UVA ED next year. I know you prob want texas but it will give you a lot better chance at getting a decent job. UVA will prob give you a chance at texas anyways. UCLA, usc,UCB loves high gpa people.

lower t14/ucla/usc= 40% biglaw
SMU= 10%
KU= 5-10%

SMU and KU will be available next year. Try your hand at retaking and also ED at UVA.
Factor in your future and dont sell yourself short.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun May 01, 2011 12:51 pm

even without the stips you would be making the right choice to go to SMU. With the stips, this is an even easier decision

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sun May 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sun May 01, 2011 3:14 pm

slightly higher risk with a lot higher rewards.

SMU will seriously only give you a 10% shot at biglaw. Basically at smu you are 4x less likely to get biglaw than at UVA. you really need top 10-15% grades to be competitive at SMU for biglaw.
Think about your career, even if you do only spend 50k at SMU your salary might only be 50k. You have very little upside as compared to UVA. Your downside is very similar. No job from each school and maybe 200k from UVA. With IBR, you only have to pay back a percentage of your salary anyways, so you still wouldn't starve.

Essentially you would be comparing UVA ED at sticker which is 160k vs SMU almost full which is 50k of debt. Im pretty sure most people on the board would choose UVA.

Think about your long term career. Don't sell yourself short by going to SMU.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sun May 01, 2011 3:44 pm

I agree UVA gives you a better big law shot but it isn't 4x better. It is not worth the 110k+ to go to take a year off and maybe just maybe have the privilege of paying sticker at UVA.

That being said SMU gives you career options in TX and that's about it. Don't think it holds any cache on either coast because you'd be wrong. But within Texas it gives you pretty solid career choices. Also 50k is not insignificant but that's something you could pay off in a reasonable about of time even with a 60k job. 150-200k would be almost impossible and you'd be suffocating under it for 25 years while limping along in IBR before you finally reached the point where you are legally allowed to welch on a promise you made to pay back your loans.

Don't be an idiot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:23 pm

thexfactor wrote:slightly higher risk with a lot higher rewards.

SMU will seriously only give you a 10% shot at biglaw. Basically at smu you are 4x less likely to get biglaw than at UVA. you really need top 10-15% grades to be competitive at SMU for biglaw.
Think about your career, even if you do only spend 50k at SMU your salary might only be 50k. You have very little upside as compared to UVA. Your downside is very similar. No job from each school and maybe 200k from UVA. With IBR, you only have to pay back a percentage of your salary anyways, so you still wouldn't starve.

Essentially you would be comparing UVA ED at sticker which is 160k vs SMU almost full which is 50k of debt. Im pretty sure most people on the board would choose UVA.

Think about your long term career. Don't sell yourself short by going to SMU.
SMU placed ~16% in NLJ 250 jobs in the most recent NJL250 list. It was just behind WUSTL/Ill. and just ahead of W&M/Davis/Wake. I agree UVa would be a better shot at Biglaw but I think OP would need to be around top 25% to be competitive for Biglaw at SMU (SMU had 4% Art. III placement and there are a handful of $145k+, non-NLJ firms in Dallas that hire out of SMU).

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:24 pm

OP is being fucking absurd. 4.0/165. Apply to UVA ED beginning of Sept., and you are 80% in. Do it.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun May 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Initially voted for KU, but rescind my vote considering the scholarship stipulations.

You would be crazy to choose KU with those stipulations.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sun May 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”