Recent Clerkship Data From US News (Link) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rurik

Bronze

Re: Recent Clerkship Data From US News (Link)

Post by Rurik » Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Rurik wrote:Arizona Law just confirmed to me that the USNWR number is essentially correct (actually 12.24% instead of the reported 12.3%) for the class of '09. Also said that the number for the C/O 2010 was substantially worse (less than half of that 12.24%). So there you go.
Are they including magistrate clerkships? If so, their count needs to be revised, as those are not Art. III clerkships. If not, I am both very surprised and impressed -- and I will readily admit my mistake.
Just got an unprompted follow-up from AZ Law. Turns out the number is actually 5.5% and was reported to UNSWR incorrectly. Seems to have been a completely honest mistake and they've let US News know - who should be updating the clerkship list soon.

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Thu May 05, 2011 3:05 pm

Rurik wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Rurik wrote:Arizona Law just confirmed to me that the USNWR number is essentially correct (actually 12.24% instead of the reported 12.3%) for the class of '09. Also said that the number for the C/O 2010 was substantially worse (less than half of that 12.24%). So there you go.
Are they including magistrate clerkships? If so, their count needs to be revised, as those are not Art. III clerkships. If not, I am both very surprised and impressed -- and I will readily admit my mistake.
Just got an unprompted follow-up from AZ Law. Turns out the number is actually 5.5% and was reported to UNSWR incorrectly. Seems to have been a completely honest mistake and they've let US News know - who should be updating the clerkship list soon.
I haven't really been following this thread, but Arizona reported a number that placed them 5th when in reality the number was half that??

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Article III Judicial Clerkships Class of 2009: (Source = USNews except for Arizona correction).

1) Yale 27%
2) Stanford 24%
3) Harvard 18.1%
4) Univ. of Washington 18% (waiting for confirmation of this figure which was reported to USNews).

5) Duke 12%
6) Georgia 11%
7) Michigan 11%
8) Virginia 11%
9) Penn 10.4%
10) Charleston 10%---doubtful, but this is what was reported to & by USNews
11) Vanderbilt 10%

12) Colorado 9.5%
13) UCal-Berkeley 9%
14) Chicago 9%

15) Northwestern 8.1%
16) Columbia 8%
17) NYU 8%
18) Texas 8%
19) Notre Dame 7.6%
20) Alabama 7.5%

21) UNLV 6.8%
22) Cornell 6%
23) Memphis 6%
24) UCLA 5.9%
25) Wash. & Lee 5.9%
26) Emory 5.7%
27) Arizona 5.5% (incorrectly reported to USNews as 12.3%).
28) Georgetown 5.3%
29) Iowa 5.3%

Tied at 5% are Seton Hall, Dayton, Louisville, UNC & Richmond.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu May 05, 2011 3:29 pm

yeahhh Duke, movin on up

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Thu May 05, 2011 3:54 pm

o yea now UVA gets the 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Impressed with CU.

No way Charleston placed 10%. They have only been a school since 2003.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Thu May 05, 2011 5:51 pm

beachbum wrote:yeahhh Duke, movin on up
YSHD

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 6:06 pm

And if the University of Washington figures reported by USNews are incorrect, then the list of law schools placing above the 5% level will likely become :

1) Yale
2) Stanford
3) Harvard

4) Duke
5) Georgia
6) Michigan
7) Virginia
8) Penn
9) Vanderbilt
10) Colorado

11) UC-Berkeley
12) Chicago
13) Northwestern
14) Columbia
15) NYU
16) Texas
17) Washington
18) Notre Dame
19) Alabama

20) UNLV
21) Cornell
22) Memphis
23) UCLA
24) Wash & Lee
25) Emory
26) Arizona
27) Georgetown
28) Iowa

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu May 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Yeah, fuck UW. I'm also suspicious of those shady Harvard students. Someone should fact-check that TTT diploma mill.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Vindication regarding Arizona &, maybe, Washington. You were incorrect regarding Colorado. No reasonable person accepted Charleston's figure, but that is what was reported to USNews & that was what USNews reported to its subscribers.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 pm

The University of Washington clerkship data figures appear to be incorrect. Washington reported 18% Article III federal judicial clerkship placement as reported by USNews, but the true figure is likely to be in the 6% range. Historically Washington has reported about 16% for all clerkships including state & federal therefore suggesting that the 18% figure for the class of 2009 is for all clerkships, not just Article III clerkships.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri May 06, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 06, 2011 1:46 pm

If you would like to try to get the actual Article III placement data for the Univ. of Washington School of Law, try calling Esther Park at 206/ 616-1364.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri May 06, 2011 3:14 pm

at the rate these schools keep dropping UGA will be #1 in a weeks time. I'm calling Harvard right now to double check their #s.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Over the past two or three years, Georgia has established a stellar reputation for Article III clerk placement, including the US Supreme Court.

P.S. Don't bother calling Harvard as their numbers might rise.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Fri May 06, 2011 3:35 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Vindication w/r/t at least Arizona, Washington, and Charleston. You don't know that I am wrong about Colorado, as there is no reason to think that their otherwise "out of place" number is any more valid than those for Arizona & Washington. So I think overall, it is no stretch to say that my initial suspicions --shared by many others -- were justified.

There is a broader message here, however. Law schools are frequently at least negligent and often reckless or malicious in their data reporting. That is, they put out employment, salary, clerkship, and other data that simply are not correct, and do so regularly. In many cases, as at Seton Hall or wherever (Villanova?), the improper reporting is intentional, but in such a way that the lie is difficult to detect. In others, it is the result of understandable confusion. But with applicants making very significant life- and financial-decisions in where they go to law school, the ABA and U.S. News should not tolerate either class of mistakes -- not, at least, on such a routine basis. It is easy to check these things and spot data points that look wrong. Why aren't the de jure and de facto regulators doing that?
Exactly. Data provided by law schools is TOTAL JUNK.
The current system where the ABA and/or US News do not verify the data and/or punish law schools for mistakes creates a huge incentive to provide positive, but misleading data, and a huge disincentive to provide honest, accurate data because honest schools would be in a competitive disadvantage. Why wouldn't a school lie about their numbers? If it gets caught, no biggie, but if it doesn't get caught, then school looks better and prospective students are misled.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 06, 2011 3:45 pm

@GTL Rev: Colorado confirmed their numbers, which were not "out-of-line". If you know otherwise, then share it.

GTL Rev is prolific at being critical without offering any substance to support his negative assertions.

P.S. They were not "your suspicions" as many of us expressed surprise. But, while you criticize, others verify.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:58 pm

CanadianWolf wrote: GTL Rev is prolific at being critical without offering any substance to support his negative assertions.
No, he isn't. He pretty much only posts about his experiences in the employment forum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Fri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm

CWolf I wouldn't criticize GTL Rev. He is one of the more valuable posters here. You however often say things that make me scratch my head. But on the other hand, I thank you for putting in some work and trying to verify the numbers. Unfortunately, I am not sure that we can trust the numbers that they give you any more than the numbers that they give us news. Your AZ discovery only demonstrates this.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 06, 2011 5:22 pm

It's nice to see a first year law student with so much wisdom. Might want to check for head lice. Take care of that itch. :D

P.S. In this thread his posts have consisted of little more than complaints, misreads & bragging.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 5:24 pm

GTL is really helpful, idk what cwolf is smoking.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Maybe elsewhere, but not in this thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Fri May 06, 2011 5:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It's nice to see a first year law student with so much wisdom. Might want to check for head lice. Take care of that itch. :D

P.S. In this thread his posts have consisted of little more than complaints, misreads & bragging.
Maybe, but you are not addressing his main point at all: law schools could have lied to you just as they could have lied to USNews. So, how do you know that the data is real and reliable?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Whose main point ? As for your other question, we don't but at least one law school stated that it would be corrected with USNews. Better than complaining & making accusations without doing anything to verify.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri May 06, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 06, 2011 5:35 pm

scammedhard wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It's nice to see a first year law student with so much wisdom. Might want to check for head lice. Take care of that itch. :D

Maybe, but you are not addressing his main point at all: law schools could have lied to you just as they could have lied to USNews. So, how do you know that the data is real and reliable?
Yes, how far down does the rabbit hole go?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Exactly. The more inquiries, the more errors & misreporting & lack of fact checking (especially by USNews) is revealed. This is the main reason lawschooltransparency gets support, but some may be uncomfortable with LST's use of assumptions--even though stated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”