Is it worth waiting a year? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
droges

Bronze

Is it worth waiting a year?

Post by droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:16 pm

I applied late with a February LSAT (167, 3.65) and have narrowed it down to:
UGA: COA 55K
BC: ALOT (waiting to hear back from fin. aid office but would be atleast 150k)

I do not have a preference in terms of location, but do hope to have the ability to work for a private firm, either big law or mid size with respectable salary, or work for the government. I know BC places well in Big Law while UGA is not so fortunate. I do not have my heart set on big law, but if I did go the private practice route I would like to start with a respectable salary (90-100k). I would wait a year and reapply which I know would broaden my options, and possibly with a JUne retake open more doors, but I really want to get back into school this year.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Re: Is it worth waiting a year?

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Yes.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:21 pm

can you elaborate? my concern is that if I wait and apply early but I am left with similar options at the end of the next cycle, I spent a whole year out of school for nothing.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:45 pm

If I decided to wait a year and reapplied early with my current numbers 3.65, 167 do you think a school like BC would offer money this time around? My feeling is that, even with an early application, the amount of money I would be offered is too low to justify postponing school a year.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 pm

droges wrote:If I decided to wait a year and reapplied early with my current numbers 3.65, 167 do you think a school like BC would offer money this time around? My feeling is that, even with an early application, the amount of money I would be offered is too low to justify postponing school a year.
Yes I have a feeling an early app would get you some $ at BC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

enron123

Bronze

Post by enron123 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:51 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
droges wrote:If I decided to wait a year and reapplied early with my current numbers 3.65, 167 do you think a school like BC would offer money this time around? My feeling is that, even with an early application, the amount of money I would be offered is too low to justify postponing school a year.
Yes I have a feeling an early app would get you some $ at BC.
+1 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/tanhuoqiu/jd

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Wait & apply to Indiana among others. Non-residents with 167 LSAT scores typically received $120,000 over three years from IUB.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:02 pm

I'd wait. I am. Retake June or Oct and get in your apps by Nov 1

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:14 pm

do you like unnecessarily taking on debt? if the answer is yes, don't wait a year.

for all other answers, TCR is to wait.

EDIT FOR SRS ERROR CAUSED BY EXAM STRESS
Last edited by gwuorbust on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ajcollege

New

Post by ajcollege » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:14 pm

droges wrote:can you elaborate? my concern is that if I wait and apply early but I am left with similar options at the end of the next cycle, I spent a whole year out of school for nothing.
So what? Worst case, you're waiting an extra year to pay the same, but with the very good possibility of better job prospects on the back-end and savings from any job you can find right now. Better case, you get all that PLUS a retake in June gets you 170+ and you're looking at a whole new board of options. Think $ to $$$ in the T14.

Even if you don't retake, you applied too late. You will have as good or better cycle if you wait.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:27 pm

do you like unnecessarily taking on debt? if the answer is no, don't wait a year.

So you think I should go to UGA if I am debt averse rather than waiting a year?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:29 pm

gwuorbust wrote:do you like unnecessarily taking on debt? if the answer is no, don't wait a year.

Not sure why this is true. Especially if OP can get a job over that year and save money. Then OP would have less debt even if they ended up in the exact same position which is unlikely. Feb is very late. Applying earlier could do wonders.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Retake for T12/T13/T14/whatever or bust. If you have your heart set on a "respectable salary," at least give yourself a 50% chance of achieving it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stylishlaw

Bronze

Post by stylishlaw » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Deposit at one of the schools and retake in June?

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:35 pm

edited my post above. Basically, I think that you should wait and not unnecessarily take on debt.

TCR is wait (and retake if you think you can score higher) OR go to UGA IF you are fine working in GA small/midlaw.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:36 pm

I assumed thats what you meant

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Don't get me wrong, it fucking sucks, but if you can, waiting a year could be very profitable for you. In addition to having a year to get WE that might help your applications, you could attempt to retake the LSAT and further pay down any existing debt that you have. Having less debt, a savings, a better resume and a potentially better LSAT is all worth it even if your scholarship offers aren't dramatically different. And even if BC doesn't give you more money, you might stand a shot at getting into better schools.

edit: This is def my personal position as I have decided to delay law school several years so that I can have a baller resume, no debt and (hopefully) a baller LSAT instead of my mediocre score I got the first go round. IMO, it's a smart financial decision, but YMMV.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:41 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Wait & apply to Indiana among others. Non-residents with 167 LSAT scores typically received $120,000 over three years from IUB.
COA even with the 120k at IUB is 60k+, not sure why you would advocate that.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Sandro wrote:not sure why you would advocate that.
I'm not sure why anybody is advocating anything other than T12/T13 when the OP's goal is a 6 figure salary.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Yea its pretty difficult to decide. Im sure if I waited a year I could get better offers/ more money, especially with a higher LSAT score. But I also did really like UGA, the one main concern I have is their placement. I don't need big law but I would like to have the opportunity or the opportunity for a mid law position. If their placement stats were a little better I think I would take the money and go this year.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:50 pm

droges wrote:Yea its pretty difficult to decide. Im sure if I waited a year I could get better offers/ more money, especially with a higher LSAT score. But I also did really like UGA, the one main concern I have is their placement. I don't need big law but I would like to have the opportunity or the opportunity for a mid law position. If their placement stats were a little better I think I would take the money and go this year.
Midlaw is a very small part of the legal world (so is biglaw for that matter) and midlaw is often just as hard as biglaw to obtain.

You want a 6 figure starting salary. Since the majority of those are in biglaw, you kind of need biglaw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:51 pm

bk187 wrote:
droges wrote:Yea its pretty difficult to decide. Im sure if I waited a year I could get better offers/ more money, especially with a higher LSAT score. But I also did really like UGA, the one main concern I have is their placement. I don't need big law but I would like to have the opportunity or the opportunity for a mid law position. If their placement stats were a little better I think I would take the money and go this year.
Midlaw is a very small part of the legal world (so is biglaw for that matter) and midlaw is often just as hard as biglaw to obtain.

You want a 6 figure starting salary. Since the majority of those are in biglaw, you kind of need biglaw.
+1

I didn't notice the 90-100k. You want that money, you need to retake/reapply or suck up the BC debt and pray to do really well there. I would definitely wait a year in those shoes you got.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm not necessarily debt averse and would be willing to take on the BC debt, but dont know if it is worth the risk. They place about 33% into the NJL 250, which is a large proportion but I'm not sure how good the opportunities are outside of the top 1/3 of the class.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 pm

droges wrote:I'm not necessarily debt averse and would be willing to take on the BC debt, but dont know if it is worth the risk. They place about 33% into the NJL 250, which is a large proportion but I'm not sure how good the opportunities are outside of the top 1/3 of the class.
I doubt the rest of the class is making close to 6 figures. Plus, a majority (2/3) of the time you aren't going to get biglaw out of BC.

BC is not worth the risk. At least give yourself a 50/50 shot of being able to pay back your debt (which is why I said you should got to a T12/T13 if you really want a 6 figure salary).

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:11 pm

I've pretty much concluded that if BC doesnt offer any aid, and I don't expect them to, I will either wait a year, retake, and apply early or go to UGA, not really have to worry about debt and hope to do exceptionally well, and if I don't I atleast wouldnt be burdened with debt the rest of my life.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”