Any advice where I should go between Wash U and GW? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wash U-$25,000 per year vs. GW-$15,000 per year?

Wash U
63%
GW
38%

Total votes: 16

chriso175

New

Any advice where I should go between Wash U and GW?

Post by chriso175 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:11 pm

I am from Massachusetts and I think that I would like to work in New England when I graduate.

I was waitlisted to BU and BC so my choices are down to Wash U with $25,000 per year and GW with $15,000 per year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Any advice where I should go between Wash U and GW?

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:14 pm

While I'd bet GW has better northeast placement, neither of those offers are that appealing. GW will cost you at least $180,000 in debt and WUSTL has a high chance of not landing you in the northeast.

If you are okay with ending up in the midwest, take WUSTL. If not, retake/reapply.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:15 pm

chriso175 wrote:I am from Massachusetts and I think that I would like to work in New England when I graduate.

I was waitlisted to BU and BC so my choices are down to Wash U with $25,000 per year and GW with $15,000 per year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ah yea, BC/BU don't go for splitters. I'd probably just take the cheaper one. There are hardly any WUSTL or GW grads in Boston at all. It'll take some leg work to get a job here. I know the makeup of a few summer classes at the big firms and I haven't seen a single GW, Ropes seems to take 1 or so WUSTL grads a year but you have to be pretty high up in the class.

I would retake and try to hit Cornell/UVA. Those 2 tend to do very well in Boston and I don't think are splitter adverse.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Between those two options, Wash U with $25K is better than GW with $15K

enron123

Bronze

Post by enron123 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Personally I would go to WashU COA is significantly lower and job stats look the same for both. If you are truly committed to the NE then I might retake/reapply otherwise tho u have my advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Toss up. Neither seems like a great option, but Wash U will be about 15-20k cheaper/year once you factor in COL and your scholarship difference. Any interest in the Midwest?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Depends what you want to do

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

The University of Michigan is between those two schools, go there.

chriso175

New

Post by chriso175 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 pm

I am still uncertain of what type of law I want to practice. I would say international law of some sort but the liklihood of this doesn't seem all that great. I was hoping that I would hear about how at least one had descent placement in Boston, but that doesn't seem to be the case so I appreciate the honesty. I can't see myself working in the midwest or DC but I think I would take DC over the midwest.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:04 pm

chriso175 wrote:I am still uncertain of what type of law I want to practice. I would say international law of some sort but the liklihood of this doesn't seem all that great. I was hoping that I would hear about how at least one had descent placement in Boston, but that doesn't seem to be the case so I appreciate the honesty. I can't see myself working in the midwest or DC but I think I would take DC over the midwest.
Then I would seriously reconsider where you are going. While WUSTL/GW are great schools, they don't seem like a good fit for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”