Preemptive Strike: ND or DU with $ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school

ND
75%
DU ($)
25%

Total votes: 4

IamAskier

Bronze

Preemptive Strike: ND or DU with $

Post by IamAskier » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:29 pm

OK, so as the title implies, this thread is my attempt to preemptively deal with a (barely) possible situation.

Situation:
ND has kept me on their WL after their first deposit, and their email said that in the event of my admission, I would most likely have less than 1 week to accept their offer. My next best offer, the one I was set on taking, is from DU, where I have an OK scholarship. I'm retaking the LSAT in June, but if I don't do considerably better (+4 or 5 points) I will be going to LS in the Fall. So I am wondering what TLS thinks; in the rare event that ND accepts me, should I take the 100k+ debt plunge over DU?

Background:
I would ultimately like to end up in the Mountain West region (UT, CO) and am interested in environmental law, but not completely set on it. I have no UG debt, so I can take maybe up to 75k, but I would have major reservations about 100k+ debt without strong employment prospects, and I will hopefully be getting 10-15K a year from my parents. Post-graduation employment is probably my most significant deciding factor. This decision is difficult since ND is somewhat of my dream school; I've always wanted to attend in some capacity.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Re: Preemptive Strike: ND or DU with $

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:02 pm

If it's your dream school, you should go. It's a very good school with a great alumni network.

If you're overstating it, you should go to DU and save money and live in a better location (for you). If you do a lot better on the LSAT, reapply or just ask DU for more money right away.

thedive

Bronze

Post by thedive » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Did you apply to either CO Law or Utah Law? If you are in-state for either of those and want to work in the area, I would give them consideration.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:18 pm

thedive wrote:Did you apply to either CO Law or Utah Law? If you are in-state for either of those and want to work in the area, I would give them consideration.
Ding at CU boulder and WL at Utah. Utah is my top choice if I get in, but the class of right now is full so it doesn't look too good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”