Michigan (with 45k) or Duke (with 60k)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan (with 45k) or Duke (with 60k)?

Michigan (45k scholarship)
70%
Duke (60k scholarship)
30%

Total votes: 33

jrose5

Silver

Michigan (with 45k) or Duke (with 60k)?

Post by jrose5 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:24 pm

I like both for different reasons. I'm afraid I'll feel lost in a school as big as UMich, but it has great transportation options and a wider class selection, I believe. I also like how busy and cultural Ann Arbor seems to be. Duke's small town atmosphere suits me a little better, but I don't have a car and living in Durham is difficult if that's the case.

Both have strong IP law programs, which is what I'm looking into.

Any comments would be appreciated.

edit: Interested in working in northeast upon graduation.
Last edited by jrose5 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Michigan (with 45k) or Duke (with 60k)?

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:25 pm

This is a draw. No wrong choice, only two right options. Congratulations !

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Pick your personal preference. I'd give a slight edge to Duke if you were interested in the southeast.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:31 pm

bk187 wrote:Pick your personal preference. I'd give a slight edge to Duke if you were interested in the southeast.
If Southeast, Duke is TCR, if Midwest Michigan is.

Otherwise it's more of a personal pref. Though I'd say tie goes to Duke because of the 15K.

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:34 pm

whatever your personal preference is. go be hapopy!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If Southeast, Duke is TCR, if Midwest Michigan is.

Otherwise it's more of a personal pref. Though I'd say tie goes to Duke because of the 15K.
This is more well put than I phrased it.

Blueridge

New

Post by Blueridge » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:36 pm

I was in this exact situation -- same schools, same money.

I found that you really aren't going to be able to find any quantifiable data to clearly swing your decision one way or the other (Unless you want Southeast, then Duke or Midwest, then Michigan). Otherwise, pick based on where you'll feel most comfortable. Best part is that there doesn't seem to be a wrong decision though.

FWIW, I'm going to Michigan -- maybe I'll see you in AA next year.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Uh.. northeast? Small town? Go to Cornell dude. Negotiate those scholarships. But yeah, it's a tough call otherwise. I guess maybe Michigan? No real right choice.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:05 pm

woeisme wrote:Uh.. northeast? Small town? Go to Cornell dude. Negotiate those scholarships. But yeah, it's a tough call otherwise. I guess maybe Michigan? No real right choice.
I wouldn't take Cornell over UMich/Duke for anywhere unless Cornell ponied up more $ than the other two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:07 pm

bk187 wrote:
woeisme wrote:Uh.. northeast? Small town? Go to Cornell dude. Negotiate those scholarships. But yeah, it's a tough call otherwise. I guess maybe Michigan? No real right choice.
I wouldn't take Cornell over UMich/Duke for anywhere unless Cornell ponied up more $ than the other two.
I know Duke has great northeast placement, which is one of my big concerns. I will have to look up Michigan placement in cities like Boston, NYC, and DC..

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:09 pm

bk187 wrote:I wouldn't take Cornell over UMich/Duke for anywhere unless Cornell ponied up more $ than the other two.
That's crazy. I mean yeah, Cornell with nothing would be stupid. But if Cornell even met UMich or Duke, there'd be a pretty good argument that it'd be better than both for the northeast. I can entertain the claim that Michigan would still edge it out, but Duke? But, anyway, maybe Cornell would give more $? It seems to align very closely with OP's criteria of: (a) small town with diverse activities and (b) strong placement in the northeast.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:10 pm

woeisme wrote:
bk187 wrote:I wouldn't take Cornell over UMich/Duke for anywhere unless Cornell ponied up more $ than the other two.
That's crazy. I mean yeah, Cornell with nothing would be stupid. But if Cornell even met UMich or Duke, there'd be a pretty good argument that it'd be better than both for the northeast. I can entertain the claim that Michigan would still edge it out, but Duke? But, anyway, maybe Cornell would give more $? It seems to align very closely with OP's criteria of: (a) small town with diverse activities and (b) strong placement in the northeast.
Cornell isn't an option for me. I think they either lost my application or are about to WL me. Might withdraw.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:11 pm

You're really gonna need a car for Durham. I suppose you can try to find someone to carpool with, but I have a strong suspicion that you're going to want to end up with your own vehicle. So depending on your preferences and what's available, you could be looking at an additional $5-10k for Duke. Not sure how things are in AA.

But the cost is definitely close enough to pick based on personal preference. Both schools will get you to the northeast.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ziggie

Bronze

Post by ziggie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Jalen, go to Michigan and bring the rest of the fab 5 with you!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:14 pm

woeisme wrote:That's crazy. I mean yeah, Cornell with nothing would be stupid. But if Cornell even met UMich or Duke, there'd be a pretty good argument that it'd be better than both for the northeast. I can entertain the claim that Michigan would still edge it out, but Duke? But, anyway, maybe Cornell would give more $? It seems to align very closely with OP's criteria of: (a) small town with diverse activities and (b) strong placement in the northeast.
Strong northeast placement? Better than Mich/Duke? I highly doubt that there is an appreciable edge for any of these schools (Mich/Duke/Cornell) in Boston. Let's also not forget that all of these schools have NYC as their primary market.

As for small town thing, I have no comment here other than to say that this should be a very secondary thing to differences in cost. But since, for OP, Mich and Duke are comparable in cost, OP should go to the one that feels right.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:06 pm

First off, I agree that this will come down to your personal preference like many posters have said.

Then, perhaps I may be ignorant, but choosing schools based on how good the local transportation is is a bit ridiculous. Even with a good bus system, imagine yourself grocery shopping and then lugging those bags on and off the bus. Now imagine doing those errands in the winter when the temperature is in single digit. Sure, there are current students who are going through this, but think it through. Imagine yourself in those situations. Be rational and pick your school based on job prospects, cost, faculty, etc. Please don't do it just because of the local/campus bus system.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 pm

tea_drinker wrote:First off, I agree that this will come down to your personal preference like many posters have said.

Then, perhaps I may be ignorant, but choosing schools based on how good the local transportation is is a bit ridiculous. Even with a good bus system, imagine yourself grocery shopping and then lugging those bags on and off the bus. Now imagine doing those errands in the winter when the temperature is in single digit. Sure, there are current students who are going through this, but think it through. Imagine yourself in those situations. Be rational and pick your school based on job prospects, cost, faculty, etc. Please don't do it just because of the local/campus bus system.
I see your point, but all else being equal, shouldn't the little things matter? I went to a college in the middle of nowhere and while it didn't affect the academic experience, I always wanted to be in an urban setting. Just a personal preference.

Ultimately I want to work in the northeast for personal reasons, and the problem is that Duke and Michigan seem to do similarly in that market. IP program wise, they are both similarly strong, I believe. It's hard for me to choose when they both offer such similar job prospects.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:02 pm

jrose5 wrote: I see your point, but all else being equal, shouldn't the little things matter? I went to a college in the middle of nowhere and while it didn't affect the academic experience, I always wanted to be in an urban setting. Just a personal preference.

Ultimately I want to work in the northeast for personal reasons, and the problem is that Duke and Michigan seem to do similarly in that market. IP program wise, they are both similarly strong, I believe. It's hard for me to choose when they both offer such similar job prospects.
Yes, little things matter. But in my mind, these little things are how friendly your classmates are (read: how willing are they to share notes/outlines with you), how helpful the career service staff people are, or how accessible the professor are. Additionally, how LRW are graded. I don't think the campus bus system is so important that it is the sole reason you choose Michigan over Duke given Duke gives you more money. To quote van winkle
van winkle wrote: You don't go to law school to enjoy yourself, you do it to build a future.
So the little things that you should consider need to, one way or another, contribute to your overall career path.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 pm

you will 100% have to have a car in Durham. Here's an opinion that is a little weird but I'll throw it out there anyway. If you are looking for a job in a small town in the north-east my guess is that you won't be looking for biglaw. You'll be shooting for something with a much more personal touch where meshing personalities are really important. I'd look for the amount of alums from each school in your area who do what you want to do. Also in this case realize that Michigan used to be the shit and many lawyers still think it is, not so much with Duke outside of Duke Alums.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:12 pm

If you want the North East- im assuming you dont despise the cold and snow and the winter dreariness. If that is true- then I agree there is no wrong choice here and you should go with your personal preference. Maybe try to get some more information about where hiring partners at the firms in the city you want to work in prefer their graduates. Also keep in mind that your mind may change about what you want to do after graduation. Congrats!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Why are people debating rural vs. urban schools in a Duke v. Michigan thread? They are both campus towns. Ann Arbor is just colders, and a whore.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks for the input, everyone.

But does anyone know how the strength of the IP program at Michigan compares to the one at Duke? I know they are both often ranked in the top 10 (for IP), and Michigan probably has a larger class selection while Duke has a smaller faculty to student ratio. I just need to decide which is ultimately more important to me.

edit: At this point, I may be leaning towards Duke. As awesome as Michigan and AA seem to be, Duke seems more resourceful in the area I'm trying to get into (IP law/patent law in the biological sciences) and the small class size is another huge attraction to me. However, if anyone knows anything about Michigan that could potentially sway me in their direction, I'd most definitely consider it still.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”