Gonzaga or Kansas? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jag2014

New

Re: Gonzaga or Kansas?

Post by jag2014 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:46 pm

evanvanreg wrote:
I am not worried so much about employment prospects immediately upon graduating, being that I will be serving as a Judge Advocate within the USMC.
How do you know? You have to apply and go through a rigorous interview process, as well as it being highly competitive and selective. I am a former Marine Police Officer and worked with Marine Jag's firsthand daily. They told me it's akin to getting a BigLaw job in the way the Marine Corps selects its Jag's, i.e. they look for Tier 1 grads. Not trying to burst your bubble, just wanted to give you a heads up to help you make your decision. Definitely go with the higher ranked and more specialized school you can.
Well, the Marine Corps is quite a bit different than other branches in many ways as you know. I will attend Officer Candidate School this summer with a law declaration. Following my graduation and subsequent commission, I will attend school and pass the bar. Upon passing the bar, I will be ordered to Basic school like every Marine Officer. Following Basic school, attend Naval School of Justice in Rhode Island. I think the selection process is less intense because if you're a bad lawyer, you can be ordered to do other "non-legal duties". Unlike the Navy, wheras you have a guarantee to practice law in the military. If you have other information, or dispute this, please do so, because like I said, I am still not in the Marine Corps so am still learning.

jag2014

New

Post by jag2014 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:06 am

Actually, tier school is pretty low on the priorities when being selected as a JAG in the Marine Corps. PFT, grades, and moral character are all more looked at.

"Semper Fi"

tittsburghfeelers

Bronze

Post by tittsburghfeelers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 pm

jag2014 wrote:
evanvanreg wrote:
I am not worried so much about employment prospects immediately upon graduating, being that I will be serving as a Judge Advocate within the USMC.
How do you know? You have to apply and go through a rigorous interview process, as well as it being highly competitive and selective. I am a former Marine Police Officer and worked with Marine Jag's firsthand daily. They told me it's akin to getting a BigLaw job in the way the Marine Corps selects its Jag's, i.e. they look for Tier 1 grads. Not trying to burst your bubble, just wanted to give you a heads up to help you make your decision. Definitely go with the higher ranked and more specialized school you can.
Well, the Marine Corps is quite a bit different than other branches in many ways as you know. I will attend Officer Candidate School this summer with a law declaration. Following my graduation and subsequent commission, I will attend school and pass the bar. Upon passing the bar, I will be ordered to Basic school like every Marine Officer. Following Basic school, attend Naval School of Justice in Rhode Island. I think the selection process is less intense because if you're a bad lawyer, you can be ordered to do other "non-legal duties". Unlike the Navy, wheras you have a guarantee to practice law in the military. If you have other information, or dispute this, please do so, because like I said, I am still not in the Marine Corps so am still learning.
Not attempting to discourage you at all, but what happens if you don't pass OCS? Are you still going to attend either Gonzaga or Kansas without having the Marine Corps to fall back on?

jag2014

New

Post by jag2014 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:14 pm

I would attend even if I did not pass OCS. However, I am confident I will be able to pass. I'm close to maxing the PFT and a little older(25)so prob a bit more mature and capable of coping with the emotional stress side of it.

Were you enlisted or did you attend OCS?

jag2014

New

Post by jag2014 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Kansas(o-of-s) work out to about $10,000 more than GU with some scholly. this is assuming I'm able to keep my scholarship,(upper-half of curve)which I think I would. Does anyone currently go to Gonzaga and have stats on how many 1 L's end up keeping their merit-schol?

KU's far bigger alumni network including undergrad(30,000 vs 5,000) and proximity to Denver should equate to better job prospecting, right?

I mean yes, Spokane is beautiful and yes, it's cheaper with the money, but the school is #3 in ranks for the state and has dropped into Tier 3 status while KU is still respectably ranked and the state flagship school..

Im planning to visit and decide in couple weeks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:56 pm

jag2014 wrote:Kansas(o-of-s) work out to about $10,000 more than GU with some scholly. this is assuming I'm able to keep my scholarship,(upper-half of curve)which I think I would. Does anyone currently go to Gonzaga and have stats on how many 1 L's end up keeping their merit-schol?

KU's far bigger alumni network including undergrad(30,000 vs 5,000) and proximity to Denver should equate to better job prospecting, right?

I mean yes, Spokane is beautiful and yes, it's cheaper with the money, but the school is #3 in ranks for the state and has dropped into Tier 3 status while KU is still respectably ranked and the state flagship school..

Im planning to visit and decide in couple weeks
If you are certain you've got a job lined up after graduation (sounds like you do with JAG), then it sounds like you're all set. You're in better shape for jobs than most law students at this point. But if JAG isn't a sure thing, and you're trying to figure out which school is better for employment, you should realize that you're taking a huge gamble going to either of these schools, especially if you want to be in Denver. Both are hyper-regional, you have no ties to either market (or at least it sounds like you don't), and neither school is that good for placement. Decent regional schools for students who are from the area and want to stay, but not a viable option for someone who is moving there, taking out debt, and hoping to wind up outside the region.

Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

jag2014

New

Post by jag2014 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:03 pm

Decided on GU, thanks for all the help!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”