Last Chance to Convince Me to Not Go to Harvard Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MaxWeber

New

Last Chance to Convince Me to Not Go to Harvard

Post by MaxWeber » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:54 am

Last edited by MaxWeber on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Re: Last Chance to Convince Me to Not Go to Harvard

Post by NikaneOkie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:56 am

MaxWeber wrote:after visiting both, i've initially settled on HLS over SLS---but not necessarily for the best reasons.

i want to eventually commit myself to a career in public service and try to run for elected office in NorCal (originally from CA). even though i feel that SLS would be a more "comfortable" 3 year experience (i.e. less stressful, more friendly people, healthier lifestyle, better location, easier access to profs and elite opportunities), my impression is that HLS is where the people who run the country come from, and that is a label (and network) that stays with you forever.... i had been pro-Stanford since day 1 but the history/tradition/prestige thing really got to me, quality of life be damned. so, does anyone want to talk me down from going to HLS? remind me of what i have in store (good and bad)?
maybe true, but don't you think that if you want to run in CA that you may have an advantage demonstrating you'd gone through the CA educational system your whole life?

Adding though, that you should definitely go where feels right in this case. Go where you want to.
Last edited by NikaneOkie on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:58 am

MaxWeber wrote:after visiting both, i've initially settled on HLS over SLS---but not necessarily for the best reasons.

i want to eventually commit myself to a career in public service and try to run for elected office in NorCal (originally from CA). even though i feel that SLS would be a more "comfortable" 3 year experience (i.e. less stressful, more friendly people, healthier lifestyle, better location, easier access to profs and elite opportunities), my impression is that HLS is where the people who run the country come from, and that is a label (and network) that stays with you forever.... i had been pro-Stanford since day 1 but the history/tradition/prestige thing really got to me, quality of life be damned. so, does anyone want to talk me down from going to HLS? remind me of what i have in store (good and bad)?
I'd say trust your initial impression and go to HLS.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 am

Depends on the elected office. If you want to be a hometown hero, Stanford could help. But it's still private and Palo Altians aren't exactly your normal Californians.

If you want to be a Senator or something...Harvard is unbeatable. Also, Harvard is Harvard. Don't you like the way that sounds?
Last edited by BeenDidThat on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 am

If you want to be in California, I see no reason to cross the country and attend Harvard when you arguably have an equally wonderful opportunity to attend Stanford. If you wanted anything else but California after graduation, I personally would choose Harvard (because of many things, but including the reason that you mentioned). But if you want California, go to the most elite law school in California. But in the end, you cannot make a bad decision between the two.

The consensus on here is that SLS will provide a better quality of life than HLS. But this is probably a combination of personal preference (from those who actually attend) and groupthink (those of us who never have a chance in hell of attending).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:01 am

There is no wrong choice when deciding between H and S, imo

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:16 am

NikaneOkie wrote: maybe true, but don't you think that if you want to run in CA that you may have an advantage demonstrating you'd gone through the CA educational system your whole life?

Adding though, that you should definitely go where feels right in this case. Go where you want to.
^This.

Stanford qualifies you for a shot at running CA. Running CA qualifies you for a shot at governor. Governorship qualifies you for a shot at running the country, if that's really what you're worried about. (When I say Stanford, I really mean that and $$$$$$$)

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:17 am

To the OP, how much $ did you get from each school? If you are pretty even on them maybe you should just attend whichever one is cheaper.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:20 am

Why would we want to do that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:23 am

--ImageRemoved--

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:24 am

I ran here to convince you not to go to HLS

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:24 am

Think of Yale.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 am

sweet thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 am

This is the #1 reason to not go to HLS:

--ImageRemoved--

The difference in prestige is not worth the difference in climate.

MaxWeber

New

Post by MaxWeber » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 am

Last edited by MaxWeber on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaxWeber

New

Post by MaxWeber » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:35 am

Last edited by MaxWeber on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbasstard

New

Post by chuckbasstard » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:32 am

Had the same decision with similar career plans and recently chose Stanford. While it might be an advantage to be able to start networking in the Bay Area based on your regional goals, the decision should really come down to which school is a better fit for you. Over the past few months I spoke with a small number of students at Harvard who admitted that they decided to attend Harvard over Stanford and/or Yale based purely on the name, and it was interesting to hear that while they didn’t regret their choice, none of them seemed particularly passionate or enthusiastic about their time at Harvard. This didn’t have any impact on my decision, but it was definitely something to think about. Regardless, you’re going to have amazing opportunities at either school. I came very close to committing to Harvard, but in the end, the faculty, class size, and students at Stanford won me over. There’s no wrong choice here—decide which school you love most and send them your deposit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 am

NorCal elected office is the key here. If you're a politician, it's important to know lots of people. At the very least they'll get the word out about your campaign, and it's even better if they have money to contribute. At Stanford, you'll meet lots of corporate lawyers who'll stay in the Bay Area. At Harvard, you won't. So Stanford might help you get elected. The rest of the education, and the Harvard network in NYC biglaw/DC bureaucracy, doesn't really matter.

The people at HLS who run the country are largely getting jobs in the executive/judicial branches, not winning elections in local politics.

I live in Palo Alto, and when I vote, I've gotten a habit of looking up the law school + undergrad of each candidate (it's easy on the calbar website). Of those who are lawyers, the vast majority went to school in CA. For example, of some local representatives: Jackie Speier went to Davis + Hastings. Anna Eshoo's ex-husband went to Berkeley + Hastings. Joe Simitian went to Boalt.

And I've seen plenty of instances where local lawyers support politics around here (campaigning for/contributing to minor candidates, attending $30k fundraising dinners for Pelosi, etc.).

You have an Ivy degree already; wouldn't some diverse educational experiences would be nice? I went to grad school at Stanford and found it a vastly different experience than my undergrad.

But hey, if you decide that Washington is a more exciting destination than Sacramento (or at least slightly less dysfunctional) - see you at HLS this fall :-)
I guarantee neither one would be a bad decision.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:09 am

You can still live a healthy lifestyle in Cambridge. You even get bonus exercise shoveling your car out in the winter.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:51 am

Maybe I haven't put much thought into the substantive differences between these two because I had no shot of getting into either (I'll be slumming it at a T6), but I'd take Stanford for the climate and smaller class. Seriously, dude: Northern California versus New England...think about it.

But to be serious, it seems like attending Stanford will set you up with an excellent network and background that can act as a springboard into CA politics, assuming all the other prerequisites are there (affinity for holding babies for cameras, ability to hold your food in while meeting with unsavory lobbyists, etc.). Perhaps the Hahvahd tag would serve you better in elite East Coast circles, but I imagine Stanford has plenty of cachet in those, too.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 am

MaxWeber wrote: HLS is where the people who run the country come from
TCR is to reevaluate why you're going to law school and, when you settle on something more realistic than running the country, decide based on that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:06 am

If you were pro-Stanford for months and are coming to TLS asking for people to talk you into going to Stanford, aren't those both signs that you want Stanford deep-down?

What you're probably feeling is last-minute hesitancy over giving up an amazing option. But no matter what choice you make, you're going to have to give up an amazing option. So why not go to the school that you seem to want to go to?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:13 am

I vote you go to SLS because, as a future HLS student, this thread title makes me question your personality. :D

On a more serious note, Just pick whichever school you prefer. At the HYS level, the school isnt what holds you back. Whatever career path you want (including academia) there will be many more variables that are more important than what school you chose.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:27 am

If you want to be a politician it does not really make any difference where you go to school. Boxer has a BA from Brooklyn College, and Feinstien went to Stanford for a B.A. Brown went to Yale.....it really does not impact you a lot.

The key is getting elected to a local office or state senate or assembly and working yourself up.

I am under the impression that political office is a hell of a hard nut to crack on all levels. Great expense.

random924

New

Post by random924 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:48 am

The fact that you have mentioned twice, 100% unnecessarily, that you attended an Ivy for undergrad leads me to believe that the "prestige factor" of Harvard is and will continue to be important to you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”