Seriously considering attending T4...help?! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
puravidamae

New

Re: Seriously considering attending T4...help?!

Post by puravidamae » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:05 am

awahoya wrote:
northwood wrote:OP There is something very wrong with your application. Your GPA should help you out a bit- but in all honesty you need to raise your LSAT at least 5 points. Study hard- and work on your essays for a while. Send out your applications early ( before Thanksgiving) and see how the cycle goes. Just because you are unemployed now doesnt mean you should go to law school this upcoming school year. Taking another year off wont hurt anything in the long run- and doing better on the test will help you a ton. Especially if you send in your applications super early. You may think its just your lsat- but chances are its more than just that. Contact at least one of the schools that rejected you in late May/June and have them go over your application with you either in person or over the phone. The admissions person will let you know which parts of your application need the most work. Take that information and use the time from June to October to work on those sections. Having to be in the top 20% of anyschool is very very hard to do. IN fact- you would be better off planning on losing hte scholarship. Would you attend Cal Western at full tuition plus living expenses for 2 years plus living expenses for the first year?

You may not like what people are saying- but this is a huge decision. Taking a year off and working at any job and studying for that test is a great idea. Think of it not as studying for admissions- but giving yourself the better oppotunity at lowering the cost of attendance- and being rewarded with a sholarship for your efforts. If someone were to offer you $25,000 to study for the test and wait a year- would you? How about $50,000 or even$ 81,000+? Because every dollar that you earn from a scholarship is a dollar ( plus interest) that you dont have to pay bak. You can either pay a lot of money now- or wait a year and increase your chances at getting paid ( by a big scholarship) after a few more months of studying for the test. By waiting another 6 months- and fixing your application and lsat score you will be eligible for possibly more scholarship money. That is a financial offer that you should not pass up

After reading this thread, I think this is the best response; it encapsulates a lot of what other people are trying to tell you (a la retake), but also gives you the most solid reason to do so: “every dollar that you earn from a scholarship is a dollar (plus interest) that you don’t have to pay back.” You seem earnest and like you’re willing to work hard to see your dream of heading to law school through to the end (you do realize that it will be a ton of hard work once you DO enter, right?)- your GPA is great (no matter the institution), and I’m sure with work on your PS and application (there are usually people on this site willing to help) you’ll be able to see things through. If you need any tips on good ways to prepare for the LSAT given a lot of time on your hands, just let me know. I’m not unemployed, but living abroad in a rural area- which also meant that I didn’t take a class and had to travel a good distance to take the test.
I agree with you and all the others that have suggested I re-take the LSAT, I knew that this was the best option the whole time, I guess I was just in denial. All of these responses have made it crystal clear what the right decsion is...study hard and re-take the test. I do realize that law school is a ton of work and I am up for the challenge. I would be very grateful for any tips you could give me in good ways to prepare for the LSAT. Out of curiosity, where abroad are you living? Anyway, congrats on your success, a 177 on the LSAT is amazing. You are obviously very bright. Thank you.
Pura Vida

NotImportant

New

Post by NotImportant » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:56 am

orm518 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:A poster on collegeconfidential's law school section posted a thread titled "The Truth About Law Schools". He is a May magna cum laude graduate from an Ivy (Penn), had a very high GPA & scored a 151 on the LSAT.
Confused as to high this applies here but I didn't read the entire thread.
I think you answered your own question.

Awesome! 180.

livelovelaugh49

New

Post by livelovelaugh49 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:50 am

Phoenix School of Law – accepted w/ 15,000 year scholarship
California Western – accepted w/ full tuition and books for first year, ½ tuition for 2nd and 3rd year if I maintain an 80% or better.
Seattle University – accepted at sticker
University of Denver – accepted at sticker
University of Arizona – waitlisted
University of San Diego – waitlisted
University of Oregon – waitlisted
University of Miami – waitlisted/alternate applicant
Lewis and Clark – rejected
Arizona State – pending

Ok, so I was raised in a single-parent household along with my three siblings. To make a long sob story short, let’s just say we have always struggled to get by and I would describe my family as poor. I have been out of undergrad for nearly 5 years and my work experience since has consisted of working for several different non profit organizations, mainly dealing with youth advocacy and juvenile delinquency. I have never earned a salary of over 30k per year and currently I am unemployed.

I know that the majority of people on this forum have very strong credentials and would advise me to avoid Cal Western like the plague, but I am seriously considering attending (obviously due to the scholarship offer). I have always wanted to attend law school and busted my ass to get a great GPA (3.9) to help me achieve my goal. Obviously the LSAT has been a lot of trouble for me. I have taken it twice, the first time I took it was in 2007. One score I cancelled and the other a 155 (I know not great). I am an Arizona resident and would love to attend UofA or ASU but it doesn’t look too promising at this point. I have definitely considered re-taking the lsat and waiting yet another year but I really would like to start this fall, especially since I have been basically putting off attending for 4-5 years now and I am currently unemployed. So, what do you all think? Am I crazy/stupid for considering attending Cal Western? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Pura Vida[/quote]

30k is more than you can expect to make even if you keep that scholarship. Add in debt from COL expenses. . .

Also, what kind of mickey mouse undergrad gives out 3.9's to people that can't crack a 155 on the LSAT?[/quote]

haha you are funny. Where did you go to undergrad? I didn't have many choices as I had to stay in-state. I went to one of the 3 public universities in AZ. I'm sure that answers your question of how I was given a 3.9. I mean everyone knows that if you go to school in Arizona, you are given a 3.9. I got a 3.9 in high school too and I am too embarassed to even talk about my SAT score. Anyway, good luck in life. I'm familiar with you from lurking around here so I will not take anything you say too seriously. I mean dude, you are smarter than me....you want a cookie?[/quote]

No, I want Arizona schools to have real academic standards and I want the unqualified to stop tarnishing my profession.[/quote]
and where did you attend undergrad again, I missed that part. Obviously it wasn't an Ivy school becasue I am sure you would be throwing that in everybody's faces. What state did you go to undergrad?[/quote]

Wow, Pura Vida I just wanted to apologize to you for what an irrogant person that Veyron character is for goodness sake. This forum is supposed to be a tool for people to use to get advice from others...not to get mocked. Also, don't let anyone tell you different, a 3.9 GPA is a wonderful achievement especially from Arizona colleges (I'd know... I went to U of A!!) So more power to you! Best of luck! P.S. I know SOO many people have heard awful things about California Western, but I know a few students there that love it and have said it is really respected in the professional community in California. I hope that helps some!

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:56 am

Ignore the taunters and retake. A 3.9 GPA is a terrible thing to waste on Phoenix School of Law.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:16 am

Are you a URM?

People may seem rude because it's hard to believe how your cycle went.

LSP gives you "considers" at Oregon and Seattle with (% at or below) of 59 and 62 percents respectively. In fact, you have "admits" at places in the top 100. That is assuming you are a non-urm. It is kind of baffling to imagine your cycle with your WE, socio-economic background etc unless we're missing some kind of pertinent information. Especially since you didn't apply late in the cycle.

Is the 3.9 the LSDAS GPA? Are we missing something?

Even if you end up not retaking it's probably in your best interest to apply with an improved strategy next cycle. At least think really really really long and hard about it. Run your essays and stuff by people and put together a better application. You probably put together what you consider a solid application but judging from your cycle, there might be something you are overlooking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:15 am

esq wrote:Retake and reapply early.

3.9/155 at a 4t would get you full schollies. I call flame. But just in case it isn't a flame, you would be wasting your GPA by attending this year. There's no hurry, because law jobs are scarce. Take your time. Study the LSAT for a good six months and re-take in December...or study longer and take in June...or take in December and retake in June if your score isn't high enough. Apply in September 2012. Spend the next year getting some community service in, getting new LOR's, writing, re-writing, re-writing, editing, re-editing, and re-editing your essays, writing addenda, and shaping up your resume.

When you get your 160+, let me know what top-40 schools you're considering. When you get 165, tell me about your top-25's. If you get to 170+, let me know what top-20's and top-10's you're considering. If you get over 175, send me a postcard from Cambridge, Palo Alto or New Haven...

BTW, a 155 still puts you in the top 1/3 of all test-takers, which is very respectable. It isn't a "weak" score by any means. It just isn't competitive for the top and elite schools if you aren't URM, and that's only because there are so many non-URM's applying to law school. Don't let anyone belittle your score.

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:57 am

You could have gotten into Loyola with those numbers, my friend got in with a 153 and 3.6..don't know how but he did. it seems like you applied to the wrong places, I would reapply in September, you could probably get into a lot of schools in California with full scholarships.

Bobeo

Bronze

Post by Bobeo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:31 am

Like others have said, you should give the LSAT one more shot with that GPA. I scored a diag of 152 and now I'm PTing in the 170s preparing for my third LSAT. Large jumps are possible, even after considerable studying. Maybe you weren't studying the best way before...

Feel free to PM if you would like some study tips. Also, do you now or dis you live in Costa Rica? I studied there as an exchange student and loved it. So beautiful.

mom2law

New

Post by mom2law » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:17 am

I'm confused about how you were rejected from Rutgers, since it has a special application option (at least at Newark) where they don't look at your LSAT, but rather, on a more global evaluation of your background and strengths. Did you take advantage of this pathway? (not limited to URM's, in case you are wondering)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

livelovelaugh49

New

Post by livelovelaugh49 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:43 am

Bobeo wrote:Like others have said, you should give the LSAT one more shot with that GPA. I scored a diag of 152 and now I'm PTing in the 170s preparing for my third LSAT. Large jumps are possible, even after considerable studying. Maybe you weren't studying the best way before...

Feel free to PM if you would like some study tips. Also, do you now or dis you live in Costa Rica? I studied there as an exchange student and loved it. So beautiful.
Saw that you raised your score from a 152 to a 170. Would you mind sharing your studying tips as I am preparing for my third LSAT too. Any advice would be great! Happy 4th!

puravidamae

New

Post by puravidamae » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:03 am

Just an update: I ended up getting into the University of Arizona and I will be attending in the fall

puravidamae

New

Post by puravidamae » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:14 am

mom2law wrote:I'm confused about how you were rejected from Rutgers, since it has a special application option (at least at Newark) where they don't look at your LSAT, but rather, on a more global evaluation of your background and strengths. Did you take advantage of this pathway? (not limited to URM's, in case you are wondering)
I didn't apply to Rutgers, I have no idea where you got that info.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 am

puravidamae wrote:Just an update: I ended up getting into the University of Arizona and I will be attending in the fall
Well done. Good luck to you. Get another 3.9 and transfer to GULC. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

puravidamae

New

Post by puravidamae » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:20 am

kublaikahn wrote:
puravidamae wrote:Just an update: I ended up getting into the University of Arizona and I will be attending in the fall
Well done. Good luck to you. Get another 3.9 and transfer to GULC. :wink:
Thanks! Do you go to GULC? Good luck to you also. :wink:

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:30 am

Edited

livelovelaugh49

New

Post by livelovelaugh49 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:29 am

Congrads to you!! A great program and you get to stay in Arizona, see it all worked out!! Best of luck :)

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:40 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

puravidamae

New

Post by puravidamae » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:52 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:
Congrads to you!! A great program and you get to stay in Arizona, see it all worked out!! Best of luck :)
Thank you!

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:18 pm

puravidamae wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:
Thank you!
I just finished reading the whole thread, and first of all, I want to say congratulations!

More importantly, I hope you crush in law school, so you can shove it in the face of people like Veyron.

GNW

New

Post by GNW » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:26 pm

Congrats Pura Vida! University of Arizona class of 2014 all the way!!

puravidamae

New

Post by puravidamae » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:54 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
puravidamae wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:
Thank you!
I just finished reading the whole thread, and first of all, I want to say congratulations!

More importantly, I hope you crush in law school, so you can shove it in the face of people like Veyron.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the support. People like Veyron don't phase me, that dude couldn't walk in my shoes for ten minutes.
GNW wrote:
Congrats Pura Vida! University of Arizona class of 2014 all the way!!
Thanks! See ya in August?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

puravidamae

New

Post by puravidamae » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:56 pm

I just got accepted to USD too, so turns out my cycle wasn't that bad after all. 6 accpetances out of 10 apps and I got into 2 of my top 3 choices.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:18 pm

puravidamae wrote:I just got accepted to USD too, so turns out my cycle wasn't that bad after all. 6 accpetances out of 10 apps and I got into 2 of my top 3 choices.
Congrats! USD isn't worth it though. UofA FTW.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Good luck. I'm so glad you aren't going to a T4. ( I still kinda wish you would retake and let people here on TLS help you polish your application and apply the first day applications are due.) You seem like a good person and I hope for everything for the best for you.

puravidamae

New

Post by puravidamae » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:33 pm

sunynp wrote:Good luck. I'm so glad you aren't going to a T4. ( I still kinda wish you would retake and let people here on TLS help you polish your application and apply the first day applications are due.) You seem like a good person and I hope for everything for the best for you.
Thanks! I was studying hard and planning on re-taking up until I got into UofA but, I am 27 years old and I feel its time my time to go now. I appreciate the support.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”