Fordham v. Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nicole88

Bronze

Fordham v. Emory

Post by nicole88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Hey everyone, I am deciding between Fordham and Emory, as the title of the post says. I've submitted deposits to both, so I have a little bit of time to decide. Ultimately, I would like to end up as in-house counsel for a large multi-national corporation, but who knows. I'm interested in international law and corporate law. I am also somewhat interested in government work. D.C. was my target market, but I'm flexible on that, I know that I wouldn't want to live in Atlanta and I wouldn't want to live directly in NYC, but I think I could commute into NY to work eventually. If I went to Emory, my goal would be to get to DC after graduation. I feel like the two schools are pretty much peer schools, just with different market areas.

I'm thinking Big Law, but I'm not totally sold on it, I'm just sure that something like public interest is not for me. Emory gave me $15,000 a year and I just got into Fordham last week, so I haven't heard anything about money from them yet. Cost of living is obviously more in NY, but at the same time, the total cost of attendance is listed as higher for Emory than for Fordham? Not sure what's up with that.

I'm looking for a school with a great community of students and professors, where there is plenty to do, where I will have great job opportunities for things like externships during school and for employment after school, and study abroad options. Also, the smaller class size at Fordham really appeals to me. At Fordham though, everyone is so spread out living-wise and I don't know anyone and am scared everyone is more rude in NY. Ultimately though, I don't see myself wanting to work in Atlanta or Florida.

What do you guys think????

Justathought

Silver

Re: Fordham v. Emory

Post by Justathought » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:01 pm

nicole88 wrote:Hey everyone, I am deciding between Fordham and Emory, as the title of the post says. I've submitted deposits to both, so I have a little bit of time to decide. Ultimately, I would like to end up as in-house counsel for a large multi-national corporation, but who knows. I'm interested in international law and corporate law. I am also somewhat interested in government work. D.C. was my target market, but I'm flexible on that, I know that I wouldn't want to live in Atlanta and I wouldn't want to live directly in NYC, but I think I could commute into NY to work eventually. If I went to Emory, my goal would be to get to DC after graduation. I feel like the two schools are pretty much peer schools, just with different market areas.

I'm thinking Big Law, but I'm not totally sold on it, I'm just sure that something like public interest is not for me. Emory gave me $15,000 a year and I just got into Fordham last week, so I haven't heard anything about money from them yet. Cost of living is obviously more in NY, but at the same time, the total cost of attendance is listed as higher for Emory than for Fordham? Not sure what's up with that.

I'm looking for a school with a great community of students and professors, where there is plenty to do, where I will have great job opportunities for things like externships during school and for employment after school, and study abroad options. Also, the smaller class size at Fordham really appeals to me. At Fordham though, everyone is so spread out living-wise and I don't know anyone and am scared everyone is more rude in NY. Ultimately though, I don't see myself wanting to work in Atlanta or Florida.

What do you guys think????
1. First, to your career goals. Going straight from law school to in-house council at a large multinational corporation isn't something that happens too often. Your best bet would be to try for biglaw, and then look for exit options which meet your criteria. The idea would be to work for a few years as an associate, and then, if one of your clients liked the work you produced, they might be able to draw you into their organization. Fordham will probably serve you better in that regard, as NYC biglaw tends to deal with larger clients, or at least clients whose scope is more international in nature.

2. I wouldn't bank on D.C. from either school. I don't know which one would be better, but I don't think either is a great choice. If you don't want to work in Atlanta, you really need to cross Emory off the list. Attending a school with the intention of removing yourself from its primary market seems like a bad idea.

3. People in NYC are very friendly, but its a big city. Everyone has someplace to be, and they often need to be there in a hurry. To me, it often feels like I'm living in the center of civilization. Everyone is here for a reason, and making small talk with the neighbors usually isn't on the agenda. I'm sure you'll find a nice tight knit community at Fordham, making a few life long friends along the way.

4. I wouldn't worry about study abroad programs. That stuff is mostly just fluff. Unless a program offered really speaks to you and your aspirations, I would just view it as icing on the cake.

To summarize, I think based on your stated goals, Fordham is your best chance at realizing them. You should try and negotiate some money though, because it won't come cheap.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:10 pm

FWIW, commuting into the city is the most painful experience one can endure. Also, I would agree that a lot of people in the city are friendly, if you know them personally. If youre not from the city, people come off as assholes.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Fordham over Emory for sure, especially if you don't see yourself working in ATL or Florida. Fordham's probably in the nicest / quietest areas in NY. I think the extra COL and tuition difference is worth it. It isn't like living in ATL is like living at home during UG.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Fordham > Emory, but for DC neither. Did you apply to GW or WM? Either would be better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nicole88

Bronze

Post by nicole88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I know neither school is ideal for DC, but my only options there were American (basically at sticker) and George Mason, neither of which I was too interested in and Washington and Lee I guess would've been better, but I visited and Lexington wasn't for me.

If anyone has any other insight, I would really appreciate it!

nicole88

Bronze

Post by nicole88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:08 pm

I also did receive money from Brooklyn and Cardozo, but I feel like Fordham is still a better choice over those, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”