. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thelaststraw05

Silver

Re: Choosing a law school made easy

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 pm

There isn't a better way to do the geographic placement (as we don't know % trying for a region that gets that region), but the statistics in this area can be particularly misleading.

For instance, if one was angling for the East North Central region and was choosing between UIUC, Northwestern and Michigan, this tool will nearly always recommend UIUC.

Almost twice as many UIUC students (as a percentage) remain in the East North Central region compared to Michigan. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they are truly more employable in the region.

Again, I hate to pose a problem that I don't have a solution to... but I'm not sure that the regional information is that useful as it currently stands.

nightman09

Bronze

Post by nightman09 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:38 pm

I think this is fantastic!!! But, for geographic location could you add international? I'm not sure how difficult that would be though...

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:47 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:There isn't a better way to do the geographic placement (as we don't know % trying for a region that gets that region), but the statistics in this area can be particularly misleading.

For instance, if one was angling for the East North Central region and was choosing between UIUC, Northwestern and Michigan, this tool will nearly always recommend UIUC.

Almost twice as many UIUC students (as a percentage) remain in the East North Central region compared to Michigan. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they are truly more employable in the region.

Again, I hate to pose a problem that I don't have a solution to... but I'm not sure that the regional information is that useful as it currently stands.
I've thought about that. I haven't really come up with a solution other than hoping people have the sense to rate prestige higher than geography if there's a T14 in the mix.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:54 pm

this should definitely be stickied! Such a helpful tool -- even though I've already decided where to go, I like having that decision validated! I wrote up a blog entry about the site, you can check it out in the link in my profile. Well done, aliarrow!

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Thank you for this tool!

Some fixes:

- BYU "in state" function should have the lower tuition for LDS Church members factored in. 50% off basically.
- Also, on the results page it says: "Cost of Attendnace"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:08 pm

swilson215 wrote:this should definitely be stickied! Such a helpful tool -- even though I've already decided where to go, I like having that decision validated! I wrote up a blog entry about the site, you can check it out in the link in my profile. Well done, aliarrow!
Thanks! Glad you liked it :D

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:08 pm

zonto wrote:Thank you for this tool!

Some fixes:

- BYU "in state" function should have the lower tuition for LDS Church members factored in. 50% off basically.
Thanks, I had no idea about the lower LDS tuition.
Also, thanks for pointing out the typo :oops:

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:15 pm

zonto wrote:Thank you for this tool!

Some fixes:

Fixed the typo. I'm not entirely sure how to handle the LDS tuition though, and I don't know if I want to make a new checkbox for a factor that affects one school. For now I think I'll just leave it up to the individual to factor that in as a scholarship on their own, but I might add in a school option of "BYU (LDS)".

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Well, there really isn't "in-state" tuition so you could just pretend that clicking the in-state means "Mormon" and have it drop tuition by 50%. That seems like the easiest fix for the only school that's the case for I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:18 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:There isn't a better way to do the geographic placement (as we don't know % trying for a region that gets that region), but the statistics in this area can be particularly misleading.

The more I think about it, the more I realize this issue corrects itself thanks to the other factors.
If you don't care about biglaw or an A3 clerkship, dont care about prestige, you're cost conscious, and you know you want to be in Illinois, it'll say UIUC as it should - but if you give employment or prestige any weight it'll correct for it and most likely come up with U Chicago or Northwestern.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:18 pm

zonto wrote:Well, there really isn't "in-state" tuition so you could just pretend that clicking the in-state means "Mormon" and have it drop tuition by 50%. That seems like the easiest fix for the only school that's the case for I think.
Gotcha, I'll do that

ETA: It's been added.

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 pm

It told me I should be going to medical school. WTF?

Seriously though, thanks for putting the time in - it's nice to see tools like this created by applicants for applicants.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

aliarrow wrote:
swilson215 wrote:this should definitely be stickied! Such a helpful tool -- even though I've already decided where to go, I like having that decision validated! I wrote up a blog entry about the site, you can check it out in the link in my profile. Well done, aliarrow!
It's included in the Useful Links sticky in the admissions forum.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Knock wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
It's included in the Useful Links sticky in the admissions forum.
I'm up to 3 links in that thread now :lol:

ETA: Maybe I can hit 4 once I start and finish my loan/IBR/Tuition/all-in-one calculator I have in mind. Its been started and posted before as a spreadsheet, but it has lots of room for improvement (especially if I make it a webpage and link it up with my school database).

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Just alphabetized the schools to make school selection a little easier, looking back US News rank wasn't the best way to organize them.

Thanks for the great suggestions and comments everyone! Especially everyone reporting bugs and typos.

rolandgill

New

Post by rolandgill » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:18 am

It depends.

First you have to realize that until you get into lawschool, you are not sure what kind of law you want to practice. I know you think you have a pretty good idea, and you may be right, but most people change their mind in law school. This is so because you find out how big the field of law is, and you also find out the reality of the practice. A lot can change in the first two years of law school.

Having said that, the practice of law is regional. If you want to practice in a particular region, you should think about attending school there because you will have the most resources for getting your first law job. This isn't an absolute, but I promise you it would be easier to go to school near where you want to work.. I didn't, and it was a tough climb.

As far as school ranking/discipline ranking. It isn't that big of a deal, really. It certainly isn't as important as location. Of course if you are given the opportunity of a 10 ranked school and a tier 3, the 10 ranked is the easy choice.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:37 am

Form validation added! Commas no longer break the script

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:03 pm

It told me to go to Boston College. Now, I do want to work in New England, but I still feel like that is NOT TCR.

Edit: I think part of the issue was that I listed "other firm" as my preference, but that's because there aren't a lot of NJ 250 firms in NH/VT/ME (and even when you include MA/RI/CT, it's still like...15). A greater percentage of BC grads might work in "Other firms" than Michigan grads, but I don't think it's because Michigan grads are unable to get work at smaller firms.

At least I hope so :P
Last edited by Entchen on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:12 pm

move over lsp. this site was extremely accurate.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:16 pm

What would you guys think of a feature where you put in your lsat/gpa and it suggests 5 or so schools based on your interests? Just a thought, but it'd be like a LSP v2.0.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:22 pm

aliarrow wrote:What would you guys think of a feature where you put in your lsat/gpa and it suggests 5 or so schools based on your interests? Just a thought, but it'd be like a LSP v2.0.
That'd be awesome!

Very helpful tool - its funny though... as I played with the settings for what was important to me (prestige vs location etc), just as I am doing in real life, the outcome changed. I guess it can't completely choose for you :? ...still very cool.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:22 pm

do it.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:24 pm

aliarrow wrote:What would you guys think of a feature where you put in your lsat/gpa and it suggests 5 or so schools based on your interests? Just a thought, but it'd be like a LSP v2.0.
I think it would be a good feature- especially for those who want to go to a school but need to score a bit higher on the LSAT- and get whiney about the re-take response from TLS. Scholarships are more difficult to predict- so the more vadue you are- the better.

If you do this- then maybe you could add another feature for negative things on your appliication? Arrested and convicted for different crimes- repeat offenses, etc. Then weigh those into the chances portion.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:26 pm

I was thinking that would make this truly useful. I mean the picker is tough because people have a hard time assigning values to how important things are to them, or at least close enough to make a distinction between peer schools. Giving suggestions at which schools to look at and visit and get the facts on and even a pre-visit priority list would be incredibly useful though.

To make the calculator even better maybe you could also add what region you have lived in or something because choosing between UC Davis and Duke for CA is a lot different if you have lived in CA or not. That might just introduce too many possible errors though and make it too complicated.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Maybe I can just have it fill out apps and send them in for you too :) hehe jk jk.

I've updated it a bit, it now specifies the best school for employment, location, and cost.

I'm really proud of fixing the comma thing, it was driving me crazy when I first built the site because I couldn't find the php function to fix it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”