To Go or Not To Go?... Please Vote! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Go where you get in and cough up the cash!
8%
Wait, hit 166-170 and re-apply.
84%
Screw a re-take. Re-apply the first day apps become available!
8%

Total votes: 197

JustE

Silver

To Go or Not To Go?... Please Vote!

Post by JustE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:47 am

Hi guys,

I've had an interesting cycle and everyone I speak with who went to a T14 program is telling me to re-apply. I waited untill 2/16/2011 to apply which is flat out after most deadlines.

There were several reasons for applying so late, including a December LSAT retake and working 60-70 hour weeks at the office. So far, I've received a Preferred Waitlist offer from Georgetown, waitlists for Duke, Michigan, & Northwestern, and the only acceptance I'm seriously considering is a decent scholarship at Notre Dame.

My goal is to go to the best school possible, come out with the smallest amount of debt and work in BigLaw (wishful thinking?).

I am an AA male with strong softs, 2 years work experience at a top financial firm, 3.2 GPA and 162 LSAT score (153 first time). I studied for 30 days after getting my Oct. score back, took about 6 practice tests and am fairly certain I can pop the score up dramatically (again) in October.

Im burnt out at work and really want to start law school this Fall, but realize I would be making a largely emotional decision. Notre Dame's first $600 deposit is this Wednesday. What should I do?

minuit

Silver

Re: To Go or Not To Go?... Please Vote!

Post by minuit » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:46 am

i vote don't go... if you got on all these waitlists so late and believe you can score even higher on the lsat, you are looking at acceptances plus scholarships if you apply early next year.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 am

Since you have a decent job (even if you hate it), I say wait and retake. AA male and strong work experience are huge things to have in your corner - don't waste them on Notre Dame, especially if you're gunning for biglaw.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:10 am

Some thoughts, in no particular order:

1) If you're going to law school to avoid burnout, I'm afraid you're misguided.
2) Your w/e is killer w/r/t OCI for corporate biglaw firms. One more year will only make your résumé better.
2a) Why are you leaving your job in the financial sector for law school? Many would kill to be in your position right now.
3) Your URM status is a huge thing you've got going for you. Depending on what you're PTing, I'd say at least sit out this cycle and reapply the first day the apps become available. If you can up your score even 3 or 4 points, you're looking at mid-to-upper T14. At the very least, I think that would snag Northwestern.
4) I agree with the poster above who discourages wasting your potential on ND, especially at cost. I would only do so if ND were my dream school, and even then, I'd try to negotiate that scholarship.
5) Does the scholarship to ND have stipulations? If so, can you get the removed?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:11 am

since you think you can do better re take and send those apps in early!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 am

patrickd139 wrote:Some thoughts, in no particular order:

1) If you're going to law school to avoid burnout, I'm afraid you're misguided.
2) Your w/e is killer w/r/t OCI for corporate biglaw firms. One more year will only make your résumé better.
2a) Why are you leaving your job in the financial sector for law school? Many would kill to be in your position right now.
3) Your URM status is a huge thing you've got going for you. Depending on what you're PTing, I'd say at least sit out this cycle and reapply the first day the apps become available. If you can up your score even 3 or 4 points, you're looking at mid-to-upper T14. At the very least, I think that would snag Northwestern.
4) I agree with the poster above who discourages wasting your potential on ND, especially at cost. I would only do so if ND were my dream school, and even then, I'd try to negotiate that scholarship.
5) Does the scholarship to ND have stipulations? If so, can you get the removed?
1) I'm looking forward to the hard work of law school. It's getting me closer to my end goal and I have a degree in philosophy so I miss writing, reading and arguing.
2) True, but doing the time will be rough. You're absolutely right, though. The decision right now is largely an emotional one.
2a) I fell into this job through a close contact and never really wanted a long-term career in finance. I've reached the point where I've learned most of what I can and am spinning wheels. Outside of a another raise or another promotion, there's not much they can offer me. Also, I'm not rolling in cash. We're talking under $50k here, but it is still a fantastic opportunity.
3) Agreed
4) It's not a dream school, but after visiting I could both be successful there and would enjoy my time there.
5) No stipulations. I have $54k over three years as long as I don't flunk out.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:26 am

Also in the process of writing a statement for an outside scholarship. My original personal statement sucked and I think this new one might help a bit.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:59 am

Voted wait, retake, reapply. I'd guess you're about 8 LSAT points away from YHS, 6 points from CCN, 3 points from mid-T14 and probably in at lower T14 where you are now. As long as you're not a complete ass to the ND people in withdrawing, I don't see why they wouldn't throw at least the same amount of money at you next year, maybe even more depending on a lot of moving parts (earlier app, increased score, better PS, etc.). If nothing else, you'll have another year of savings under your belt.

If you can up the scholly to a full ride at ND, and want to work in the Midwest, I'd say take it. At half price, it's more of a risk, especially given your untapped potential to get into better schools, or get much more in the way of scholarships.

Either way, I don't think you should go this year. Don't make this an emotional decision.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:17 am

Bump.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:03 am

Wait, re-take and re-apply. Even if your score doesn't go up that much, you'll be able to apply a lot closer to day 1 (you could even apply day one and most schools will probably hold your apps for the October score).

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:08 am

OP you have work experience. Even though you hate the job, and know its not the career for you- if you can stick it out for another year or so ( or even until you find another job) you are better off. Applying earlier in the cycle is really important. Not only are there more open seats, but there is also more scholarship money available. If you score a few points higher on your re take ( even if its in october) and re work your personal statements ( spend a decent amount of time on them) you should se better results. You can let ND know that you are trying to minimize your current debts and they will understand that. Let them know that you will be reapplying next cycle and see if they increase their offer to you. Use this time to figure out where you want to be, and get those why school x essays started- so you dont have to worry about it later. Send the applications out early ( even before the october test) and see how it plays out. If you can get into ND now( with a late application) chances are they will let you in next cycle as well- as long as you withdraw in a decent manner.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:37 am

Starting to sound like the decision is clear... Thinking I'll try to defer or withdraw the ND offer... It will be a really rough decision if Duke, Michigan or Georgetown come calling this summer. There's no guarantee I'll be rolling in the dough after applying next year and anything less than a $100k scholarship offer to a lower T14 (to me) is a waste of a year.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:24 pm

.... deposit deadline quickly approaching. Another shameless bump.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:27 pm

As someone who was in a similar position last cycle (applied late, barely studied for the LSAT) and ended up retaking/reapplying: definitely retake/reapply.

Applying day 1 wouldn't be nearly as beneficial as increasing your LSAT score.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:30 pm

pm you op

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:43 pm

northwood wrote:pm you op
Got it. Thank you.

b33eazy

Bronze

Post by b33eazy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:16 pm

I wouldn't bother retaking unless I knew for a fact that I could score higher. However, if I felt I couldn't do any better, I would just apply early to all the schools I can... That's a tough decision. Personally, if I felt I pushed myself to the brink, I would see what happens. Also, um, what were your practice test scores?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 pm

b33eazy wrote:I wouldn't bother retaking unless I knew for a fact that I could score higher. However, if I felt I couldn't do any better, I would just apply early to all the schools I can... That's a tough decision. Personally, if I felt I pushed myself to the brink, I would see what happens. Also, um, what were your practice test scores?
I generally agree with this. With your LSAT and background, just applying early next year will get you some mid-T14 acceptances. Retake LSAT if you have time and have nothing to do, but it may not be necessary.

miracle2011

Bronze

Post by miracle2011 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Op, I also think you should reapply. We have similar numbers (however I applied to all my schools in September) and look at how my cycled turned out

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:42 pm

miracle2011 wrote:lawschoolnumbers profile link
UT is such a numbers whore.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:00 am

miracle2011 wrote:Op, I also think you should reapply. We have similar numbers (however I applied to all my schools in September) and look at how my cycled turned out

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011
Do you think there was anything special about your application that set it apart?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:03 am

b33eazy wrote:I wouldn't bother retaking unless I knew for a fact that I could score higher. However, if I felt I couldn't do any better, I would just apply early to all the schools I can... That's a tough decision. Personally, if I felt I pushed myself to the brink, I would see what happens. Also, um, what were your practice test scores?
My high was 166, but my average was 162. For me, the issue was my timeline. I only studied for 30 days and I think most people would agree I should have put more time into it.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:36 pm

I think re-take is TCR. It seems likely that you can bump up your LSAT. Combined with an additional year of w/e, and a better application that is submitted early, you are much more likely to get into the t14 schools you are targeting.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:19 pm

fingersxd wrote:I think re-take is TCR. It seems likely that you can bump up your LSAT. Combined with an additional year of w/e, and a better application that is submitted early, you are much more likely to get into the t14 schools you are targeting.
Sadly guys, I'm not sure I have a retake or another year of work in me. Might dive in this Fall...

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:26 pm

egirarde wrote:Hi guys,

I've had an interesting cycle and everyone I speak with who went to a T14 program is telling me to re-apply. I waited untill 2/16/2011 to apply which is flat out after most deadlines.

There were several reasons for applying so late, including a December LSAT retake and working 60-70 hour weeks at the office. So far, I've received a Preferred Waitlist offer from Georgetown, waitlists for Duke, Michigan, & Northwestern, and the only acceptance I'm seriously considering is a decent scholarship at Notre Dame.

My goal is to go to the best school possible, come out with the smallest amount of debt and work in BigLaw (wishful thinking?).

I am an AA male with strong softs, 2 years work experience at a top financial firm, 3.2 GPA and 162 LSAT score (153 first time). I studied for 30 days after getting my Oct. score back, took about 6 practice tests and am fairly certain I can pop the score up dramatically (again) in October.

Im burnt out at work and really want to start law school this Fall, but realize I would be making a largely emotional decision. Notre Dame's first $600 deposit is this Wednesday. What should I do?
Definitely don't go. A few more points will get you into a T14

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”