L&C vs. schools in LA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
summer937

New

L&C vs. schools in LA

Post by summer937 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:27 pm

If I consider big firm jobs, is Lewis & Clark really a bad choice? How would you compare it to lower ranked schools in LA (such as Chapman, Southwestern, etc.)? What about Loyola (Los Angeles)? Loyola recently jumped up a lot in terms of ranking, but I don't know how much I can count on it.

Also, if there is a chance that I would like to work in Northeast, still L&C can be a better choice than schools in 90-100's in east coast? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

RVP11

Gold

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Forget big firm jobs. You have less than a 5% chance at getting one from any of the schools you've named.

dvcook

New

Post by dvcook » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Loyola has a great reputation in the CA/LA area...out of the schools you are looking at, you should def go there. Best chance for the best job.

summer937

New

Post by summer937 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:57 pm

OK, then knowing that none of those schools have good job prospects, how much does ranking matter? would you say it would be better off at L&C overall over 90-100 ranked schools in east coast?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 pm

summer937 wrote: Also, if there is a chance that I would like to work in Northeast, still L&C can be a better choice than schools in 90-100's in east coast? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Don't go to L&C and expect to land your first legal job in the Northeast.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

summer937 wrote:OK, then knowing that none of those schools have good job prospects, how much does ranking matter? would you say it would be better off at L&C overall over 90-100 ranked schools in east coast?

why does no biglaw = no good job prospects? there are other good attorney jobs besides biglaw.

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:03 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:
summer937 wrote:OK, then knowing that none of those schools have good job prospects, how much does ranking matter? would you say it would be better off at L&C overall over 90-100 ranked schools in east coast?

why does no biglaw = no good job prospects? there are other good attorney jobs besides biglaw.
Because 22 year-olds think $150k and an office on the 50th floor = good job

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:41 pm

i mean, biglaw is a good job, but its represented as a much larger part of being an attorney on this board than it really is. I mean, 95%+ lawyers do not work in biglaw.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:22 pm

With these schools, location is more important. L&C gives you the best shot at the Northwest - other than that, of your choices I would go to Loyola, which has the best job prospects of the schools you've listed by a fair gap. No one in LA would recommend you go to Southwestern or Chapmen over Loyola absent some unique circumstances.

None of the schools you mentioned have strength in the Northeast. That doesn't mean you couldn't network on your own and make it happen, what it means is these schools will not make it happen for you or make it easier for you to find a job. I know Danteshek got an SEC internship on the east coast out of southwestern last summer for example. For federal gov. sometimes they like the geographic diversity you bring as a west coast school student to an east coast job, but the vast majority of employers will not be interested in you nor even heard of the law school you go to, when your talking about going from west coast to east coast w/ the schools yo've listed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:50 am

The Valkyrie wrote:

...says the person laid off by her non-BigLaw firm because one partner had to bounce out.

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 am

RVP11 wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:

...says the person laid off by her non-BigLaw firm because one partner had to bounce out.

You may have a point, but the firm I was at was really a glorified solo operation, and it was a good job nevertheless.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:16 am

fragged wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:

Because 22 year-olds think $150k and an office on the 50th floor = good job
While that may be true for many 22 year olds, biglaw is coveted because it is one way to service debt totals which can easily exceed 180k. Now, if you want public interest, debt levels matter less, but you better get PI, because if you don't, and if you also don't get biglaw, you will be neck deep in debt.

With that being said, IBR does make sticker at any school feasible, but still not a recommended course of action.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”