Northwestern $$ v Michigan $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nwprspktive

New

Northwestern $$ v Michigan $$

Post by nwprspktive » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:42 pm

I have two days to decide. Pros and Cons of each??? Possible interest in public interest/policy in Midwest or East coast. Life in Chicago would be great but Northwestern at ASW seemed to be trying to stay afloat.

tome

Bronze

Re: Northwestern $$ v Michigan $$

Post by tome » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:20 am

nwprspktive wrote:I have two days to decide. Pros and Cons of each??? Possible interest in public interest/policy in Midwest or East coast. Life in Chicago would be great but Northwestern at ASW seemed to be trying to stay afloat.
No idea what the bolded means. Curious to hear though if you can elaborate.

The two schools are very different. Was this not apparent at the ASWs? For what it is worth, I think NW is pretty average for PI, and from what I understand Mich is decent. What are you looking for in a law school?

nwprspktive

New

Post by nwprspktive » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm not speaking about the endowment or the size of the actual law school.
During ASW a lot of questions were answered with "oh we plan to implement that" or "we just started a program for that" and "so and so couldn't be here today, so just email them." (PI interest mtg/$ mtg)
I found it odd that there was no human available to present for an hour about financial aid, but instead someone recorded their message in advanced.
When I asked about the 'concentrations' that were listed on the website I was told, "oh they just started that, no one really does that."
The career services presentation was similar...questions about OCI and being hired outside of Chicago weren't really answered.
I thought the professors were great in the mock classes and the PI professor seemed knowledgeable.
It was my dream school but ASW led to reservations. I just want to make sure I'm not misjudging the law school based on ASW.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:23 pm

They're relative peers. It seems like Michigan is the right choice for you because:

1. More PI focused than NU.

2. Probably cheaper due to lower CoL.

3. You dislike NU.

So go to Michigan.

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Post by D-ROCCA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Why don't you make another thread about your decision, that should help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 pm

nwprspktive wrote:Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:25 pm
During ASW a lot of questions were answered with "oh we plan to implement that" or "we just started a program for that" and "so and so couldn't be here today, so just email them." (PI interest mtg/$ mtg)
I found it odd that there was no human available to present for an hour about financial aid, but instead someone recorded their message in advanced.
When I asked about the 'concentrations' that were listed on the website I was told, "oh they just started that, no one really does that."
The career services presentation was similar...questions about OCI and being hired outside of Chicago weren't really answered.
I thought the professors were great in the mock classes and the PI professor seemed knowledgeable.
It was my dream school but ASW led to reservations. I just want to make sure I'm not misjudging the law school based on ASW.
1) I'm pretty sure financial aid at NU is entirely merit aid. The LRAP is actually pretty fucking good if you make a traditional PI salary. They'll give you more than it takes to pay your IBR payments.

2) I don't think anyone does do concentrations. Though I don't think they are new either, I think they are old.

3) My interactions with career services has been good, and I've heard michigans is awful. Hearsay, and I'm not sure about PI career advice, but there is a PI only career adviser.

Overall the administration is kinda clunky, but they are really focused on getting us jobs. To the point it pisses off academic law schools and academic faculty.

Like Tome said, Northwestern isn't any sort of PI powerhouse. But I love the school. The students are more adult, and it doesn't have a high school feel. I know a a couple Mich 1L's and they all eat together at their dorm and all sit at their unofficial lunch tables like kids did in middle school.

If it's your dream school I think you should attend. But if you like Michigan more, go there. It's pretty much up to personal choice.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
nwprspktive wrote:Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:25 pm
1) I'm pretty sure financial aid at NU is entirely merit aid. The LRAP is actually pretty fucking good if you make a traditional PI salary. They'll give you more than it takes to pay your IBR payments.

2) I don't think anyone does do concentrations. Though I don't think they are new either, I think they are old.

3) My interactions with career services has been good, and I've heard michigans is awful. Hearsay, and I'm not sure about PI career advice, but there is a PI only career adviser.

Overall the administration is kinda clunky, but they are really focused on getting us jobs. To the point it pisses off academic law schools and academic faculty.

Like Tome said, Northwestern isn't any sort of PI powerhouse. But I love the school. The students are more adult, and it doesn't have a high school feel. I know a a couple Mich 1L's and they all eat together at their dorm and all sit at their unofficial lunch tables like kids did in middle school.

If it's your dream school I think you should attend. But if you like Michigan more, go there. It's pretty much up to personal choice.
Michigan's isn't awful, and I've personally had nothing but great interactions with our CS office. That said, I'm sure it's like any school - the students who are getting jobs don't mind, and those who haven't yet probably wish the administration were doing more. I highly doubt NU is any different.

As for the second bolded point, the fact that students eat together and sit at tables while doing so makes it like "middle school"? That's one of the more stupid criticisms I've heard in awhile, so let me turn it around for you: Students at Michigan actually get to know each other because it's not a commuter school and because the students here actually enjoy each others' company. I've heard that NU students are much more competitive and treat law school relationships like b-school meet-and-greets. See how I can make equally ridiculous accusations about another school's student body?

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:44 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:As for the second bolded point, the fact that students eat together and sit at tables while doing so makes it like "middle school"? That's one of the more stupid criticisms I've heard in awhile, so let me turn it around for you: Students at Michigan actually get to know each other because it's not a commuter school and because the students here actually enjoy each others' company. I've heard that NU students are much more competitive and treat law school relationships like b-school meet-and-greets. See how I can make equally ridiculous accusations about another school's student body?
This is probably a good test. If you think the above comment is worthwhile or interesting, Michigan might be the place for you. If not, come to Northwestern.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:50 am

D-ROCCA wrote:Why don't you make another thread about your decision, that should help.
No shit. Obvious troll is quickly becoming obvious.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Michigan's isn't awful, and I've personally had nothing but great interactions with our CS office. That said, I'm sure it's like any school - the students who are getting jobs don't mind, and those who haven't yet probably wish the administration were doing more. I highly doubt NU is any different.

As for the second bolded point, the fact that students eat together and sit at tables while doing so makes it like "middle school"? That's one of the more stupid criticisms I've heard in awhile, so let me turn it around for you: Students at Michigan actually get to know each other because it's not a commuter school and because the students here actually enjoy each others' company. I've heard that NU students are much more competitive and treat law school relationships like b-school meet-and-greets. See how I can make equally ridiculous accusations about another school's student body?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”