Boston University vs UC Davis vs Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school would be best?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:21 am

BU ($45k scholly, $165k COA)
69%
Davis (no scholly, $210k COA)
14%
Emory ($45k scholly, $165k COA)
11%
McGeorge, lotsa $$, finish top 10% and get a good job anyway near the GF
6%

Total votes: 36

pelkin000

New

Boston University vs UC Davis vs Emory

Post by pelkin000 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:21 am

I started a thread once before on this particular topic and I have since gathered quite a bit of info on these different schools and visited their preview days. However, all that info has not made my choice any easier, because it is so dang hard to compare schools in such different geographic areas.

Here's the break down:

BU: $45k scholarship, best job prospects, cold (im from cali, don't like the cold), good faculty, ugly law building, right in the middle of a big city (noisy, expensive, etc), very vibrant city with a great vibe and intellectual culture, far from girlfriend

Davis: No scholarship, most expensive option, close to home (prob a negative), close to current girlfriend (def a positive), solid rank, questionable job prospects if not in top 25% of class, not in a big city (a good thing, i like nature, but a bad thing, hence the questionable job prospects), part of the UC system (california has serious money issues)

Emory: $45k scholarship, affordable housing, decent job prospects near atlanta, good weather if a bit humid (doesn't bother me much), gorgeous campus, southern accents, not directly in a downtown city (good and bad, see reasons above), far from girlfriend

Anyway, I would love people's input on the subject, whatever it may be. I DO plan on coming back to California at some point in my life, though not necessarily right away (may depend on if the GF and I try to do long distance). Being able to pay down loans without trouble is a major consideration. I have no idea what type of law I want to work in (big law or otherwise). I could honestly see myself at any of these locations right now.

I would absolutely LOVE a fresh perspective on this situation!!!

coldshoulder

Silver

Re: Boston University vs UC Davis vs Emory

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 am

If you want the best education and deal, which should be your top concerns, choose BU. If you do want to go back to Cali at some point, I've heard of people going back, either after work experience or through connections. Don't worry about the ugly building, the interior is nice and appearance should be the least of your concerns.
And you'll get used to the cold :D

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:27 am

Easily BU, it's cheaper/as cheap and has more mobility than the other two T30 options.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonillson

New

Post by jonillson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:25 pm

you've listed COAs before scholarships, right? typically COAs are calculated to include financial aid awards.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lucky277

New

Post by lucky277 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Given the difference in price, I say BU. I just chose Hastings over BU at equal cost though due to wanting to stay in CA, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:48 am

The best option for you as a law school is BU. Excellent job prospects, decent financial aid, it's not in California but you can always return to California for the winter break. :)

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:49 pm

IF you are 100% sure about practicing in CA, Davis is the easy choice here. If you just want a firm job period, I'd go to BU. Emory is out based on your stated preferences, and don't even think about a festering TTT like McGeorge. Even top-10% there doesn't guarantee you a crappy firm job in Sacramento ITE.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Go to BU and accept that you will be working on the east coast for a while before you transition back to CA (if you end up wanting to).

If you want CA immediately after graduation then I would honestly retake/reapply as all these options are pretty poor for that.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:22 pm

SBL wrote:IF you are 100% sure about practicing in CA, Davis is the easy choice here. If you just want a firm job period, I'd go to BU. Emory is out based on your stated preferences, and don't even think about a festering TTT like McGeorge. Even top-10% there doesn't guarantee you a crappy firm job in Sacramento ITE.
+1 to bk187

It might take a little less legwork at Davis compared to BU, but 210K in debt is INSANE. BU does have the most national sway out of all your options...perhaps not at the level that a T14 would, however about 10ish % of BU grads end up on the west coast, which is pretty damn impressive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”