Where should I go in CA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go in CA?

USC: $0 aid
55%
UCI: 1/3rd tuition scholarship (renewable w/ good academic standing)
45%

Total votes: 66

dswimmer

Bronze

Where should I go in CA?

Post by dswimmer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:48 am

I want to work in Southern California...especially San Diego.
Last edited by dswimmer on Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Hannibal

Gold

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:07 am

You should probably specify which yearly vs. total. Also stipulations (since I know Loyola has a stip).

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 am

How debt averse are you?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 am

usc, imo.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:50 pm

cool of law wrote:How debt averse are you?
I would say I have a high debt aversion, which is why I'm having such a hard time deciding...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Hannibal wrote:You should probably specify which yearly vs. total. Also stipulations (since I know Loyola has a stip).
Davis and Hastings don't appear to have a stip other than continuing need, UCI's says good academic standing (I need to research what that means a little more), Pepperdine, Loyola, and USD are all top 1/3, and Chapman is keeping a 3.0 GPA.

I've given the amounts for the first year the Pepperdine, Loyola, USD, Chapman, and UCI schollys are all renewable for the same amounts annually. I don't know about the Hastings and Davis grants, since they are need-based and their determination of need could change...

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Hastings or Davis may be cheaper tuition wise if you are a CA resident.

I would say USC
Hastings or Davis

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Top 1/3 stip is rough considering the most likely scenario is that you lose the scholarship in years 2 and 3 so you can't really count on it for more than that.

30k at Hastings isn't enough to make it worth it over USC. Is the 13k at Davis total or per year? If Davis is offering you 40k then I would take Davis (because the savings at Davis exceed that once you factor in how cheap it is to live there compared to Hastings/USC). Otherwise I don't think any of the other offers are cheap enough to make them a valid choice over USC.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:12 pm

bk187 wrote:Top 1/3 stip is rough considering the most likely scenario is that you lose the scholarship in years 2 and 3 so you can't really count on it for more than that.

30k at Hastings isn't enough to make it worth it over USC. Is the 13k at Davis total or per year? If Davis is offering you 40k then I would take Davis (because the savings at Davis exceed that once you factor in how cheap it is to live there compared to Hastings/USC). Otherwise I don't think any of the other offers are cheap enough to make them a valid choice over USC.
Since the Davis grant is need-based, I can only guarantee that I have it for this coming year (I had to revise a lot of info on my need access form to even get Davis to consider giving me anything...they don't seem to read the special circumstance section...)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:13 pm

dswimmer wrote:Since the Davis grant is need-based, I can only guarantee that I have it for this coming year (I had to revise a lot of info on my need access form to even get Davis to consider giving me anything...they don't seem to read the special circumstance section...)
All of these options are insanely risky due to the cost and the fact that none of the scholarships are large enough or guaranteed enough, so go with the one that has the best prospects (USC).

ku1185

Bronze

Post by ku1185 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm surprised nobody is advocating for UCI. It's still not cheap (do you live in SD? You could technically commute, especially your 2nd and 3rd years to increase the debt gap from USC), but it may be a better location for you since it'd be much easier to start networking in the SD area than it would be from Hastings or Davis. I personally enjoyed my UCI visit and I would personally keep it as a viable option if I were in your shoes.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:09 pm

ku1185 wrote:I'm surprised nobody is advocating for UCI. It's still not cheap (do you live in SD? You could technically commute, especially your 2nd and 3rd years to increase the debt gap from USC), but it may be a better location for you since it'd be much easier to start networking in the SD area than it would be from Hastings or Davis. I personally enjoyed my UCI visit and I would personally keep it as a viable option if I were in your shoes.
I live in Irvine right now, so it wouldn't be a hard transition, but I'm concerned about riding my education on the star power of one man...what if he leaves? Plus, there is no data for bar passage and employment statistics...I'm definitely holding on to this option, though.

ku1185

Bronze

Post by ku1185 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm

dswimmer wrote:
ku1185 wrote:I'm surprised nobody is advocating for UCI. It's still not cheap (do you live in SD? You could technically commute, especially your 2nd and 3rd years to increase the debt gap from USC), but it may be a better location for you since it'd be much easier to start networking in the SD area than it would be from Hastings or Davis. I personally enjoyed my UCI visit and I would personally keep it as a viable option if I were in your shoes.
I live in Irvine right now, so it wouldn't be a hard transition, but I'm concerned about riding my education on the star power of one man...what if he leaves? Plus, there is no data for bar passage and employment statistics...I'm definitely holding on to this option, though.
Yeah, there is indeed a ton of risk. But I don't think the school is going to flop by any means (of course, nobody really knows for sure and you'll have to determine this for yourself).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:29 pm

usc

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:32 pm

if you are debt averse, hastings isn't a bad option. i would avoid usd because of that stipulation.
Last edited by Lasers on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:32 pm

If you want SD I would normally say USD, but the top third stip would be a deal breaker for me. I can UCI becoming pretty prestigious in CA in the next 10 years, so that's what I went with (although I understand the concerns the OP posted earlier).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Lasers wrote:if you are debt averse, hastings or usd are pretty good options for you. if you want san diego, usd might not be a bad choice, especially if it's 30k with no stipulations.
Hastings debt will be 150k+ even with the scholly. USD has top 1/3 stips so the most likely scenario is 150k debt. Neither choice is a good option for someone debt averse.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:39 pm

bk187 wrote:
Lasers wrote:if you are debt averse, hastings or usd are pretty good options for you. if you want san diego, usd might not be a bad choice, especially if it's 30k with no stipulations.
Hastings debt will be 150k+ even with the scholly. USD has top 1/3 stips so the most likely scenario is 150k debt. Neither choice is a good option for someone debt averse.
yeah, i updated. i didn't see the 1/3 stip earlier. it's definitely not a good choice.

also, there's no way you'd be in 150k debt from hastings with 20k+. 60k per year for the three years would mean 180k without any help; at most it would be 120k, likely less. i don't know the difference is big enough to choose it over usc, but it would likely be a clearly cheaper option.

imo, top 3 choices are usc, hastings, uci. they all have their strengths and weaknesses. up to OP to decide.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:46 pm

It's between Davis, UCI and USC IMO. I'd probably go with USC, but if you end up with questions about Davis feel free to shoot me a PM.

PAR12

New

Post by PAR12 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:18 pm

If your set on San Diego, I would suggest there since you have a nice size scholly there.

I went there for Undergrad and all the Law students I talked to only had good things to say and the campus is beautiful.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:38 pm

I should probably note that I will only need to cover tuition and books, as my living expenses will be covered.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Lasers wrote:yeah, i updated. i didn't see the 1/3 stip earlier. it's definitely not a good choice.

also, there's no way you'd be in 150k debt from hastings with 20k+. 60k per year for the three years would mean 180k without any help; at most it would be 120k, likely less. i don't know the difference is big enough to choose it over usc, but it would likely be a clearly cheaper option.

imo, top 3 choices are usc, hastings, uci. they all have their strengths and weaknesses. up to OP to decide.
I may have read it wrong but I saw it as Hastings scholly of 30-40k. Hastings may be 60k/year now but it is definitely going up.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 pm

bk187 wrote:
Lasers wrote:yeah, i updated. i didn't see the 1/3 stip earlier. it's definitely not a good choice.

I may have read it wrong but I saw it as Hastings scholly of 30-40k. Hastings may be 60k/year now but it is definitely going up.
For Hastings I have 21k for the first year. Assuming that they determine that I have the same need for yrs 2 and 3, I will get 21k/yr for each, which is a max of 63k for all three years (unless they want to give me more...I wouldn't complain...).

I've listed the $ I have for 1 yr in the poll. The 3-yr. savings would have to be determined based on if I have the same need and/or meet the stips. If so, the amounts will be tripled for total savings.
Last edited by dswimmer on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:01 pm

bk187 wrote:

the money is 21k total per year, i believe, meaning over 60k total. additionally, the money is renewable and based on need, which shouldn't change year to year.

usc and hastings seem like the best two options.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:03 pm

dswimmer wrote:
bk187 wrote:

For Hastings I have 20k for the first year. Assuming that they determine that I have the same need for yrs 2 and 3, I will get 20k/yr for each, which is a max of 60k for all three years (unless they want to give me more...I wouldn't complain...).

I've listed the $ I have for 1 yr in the poll. The 3-yr. savings would have to be determined based on if I have the same need and/or meet the stips. If so, the amounts will be tripled for total savings.
if you don't gain any new assets, the money should be the same based on need. from what i've read, depending on your performance in law school, you could get more next year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”