Davis/Hastings at sticker vs. USF/SCU/McGeorge scholly? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Davis/Hastings at sticker vs. USF/SCU/McGeorge scholly?

Davis at sticker
47%
Hastings at sticker
41%
Santa Clara $10k renewable
No votes
USF $35k non-renewable
No votes
McGeorge $90k
12%

Total votes: 17

Daisy16

New

Davis/Hastings at sticker vs. USF/SCU/McGeorge scholly?

Post by Daisy16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Are Davis and Hastings worth sticker compared to scholarships at USF, SCU, and McGeorge? I have visited all of them except Davis and feel like I could be happy at any of them. Santa Clara has a unique clinic that I am interested in, but not sure if that is worth passing on the other options. I would appreciate any advice!! Thanks :)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Davis/Hastings at sticker vs. USF/SCU/McGeorge scholly?

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 am

Any school outside of the T14 is scary to pay sticker for, but when compared to your other options, I would say you have to go Davis. McGeorge isn't a very good school and the price difference for the others is not significant enough.
This is all, of course, if retake/reapply is not an option.

BTW, are you an in-state resident? Davis at OOS is way too much at sticker

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:12 am

If instate, Davis or Hastings depending on your preference.

WhiteCochran

New

Post by WhiteCochran » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:12 am

Are there stipulations on your offers from McGeorge/SCU/USF? And do you have any strong location preference?

If you can deal with the idea of working in Stockton/Modesto/Fresno/other smaller CA markets, McGeorge might be a decent option. McGeorge has traditionally placed grads in these areas more so than SCU or USF, so while all three are roughly peer schools (in terms of bar passage and employment at graduation) I'd say McGeorge>SCU>USF based merely on the concentration of alumni in these places. Also, assuming you don't have a free place to live in one of these locations, Sacramento COL is cheaper than SF and the South Bay.

If you want biglaw (still a relative longshot)/public interest/anything in a major CA city, Davis and Hastings have significantly better prospects. Do you want an "urban" environment (Hastings) or a "rural-ish/college town" environment (Davis)?

Daisy16

New

Post by Daisy16 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks for the input!

My McGeorge scholarship has no stipulations, but SCU is top 25%. USF is $35k just for the first year only.

I have been a legal resident of CA for 4.5 years. I believe I would qualify as in-state, but I'm confused by UC's residency forms because it looks like you have to be a legal resident for 5 years to qualify for in-state tuition your first year. Do you guys know? Thanks! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:51 pm

I voted Davis. Go with Davis or Hastings, but I picked Davis because the COA will be less living in Davis than it will be living in SF during school.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:54 pm

WhiteCochran wrote: If you can deal with the idea of working in Stockton/Modesto/Fresno/other smaller CA markets, McGeorge might be a decent option. McGeorge has traditionally placed grads in these areas more so than SCU or USF, so while all three are roughly peer schools (in terms of bar passage and employment at graduation) I'd say McGeorge>SCU>USF based merely on the concentration of alumni in these places. Also, assuming you don't have a free place to live in one of these locations, Sacramento COL is cheaper than SF and the South Bay.
+1. I personally was pretty impressed by McGeorge after going to their Legal Scholar's Day with some pretty low expectations (I wrote a blog entry about it, the link is in my profile). Being from a small, Central California market, I can say that a lot of the grads at the mid-law firm where I worked were McGeorge grads making a comfortable salary ($75k - $90k in a pretty inexpensive area for California).

If you're looking at a bigger market (LA, SF, etc.) or want a biglaw job, go to Davis and gun for the top 10%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”