Vandy ($50k) v. G (0) v. Cornell ($30k) Penn (0) for PI/Gov Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I attend?

Vandy with 50k
40%
Penn with nada
60%

Total votes: 58

whitman

Silver

Vandy ($50k) v. G (0) v. Cornell ($30k) Penn (0) for PI/Gov

Post by whitman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Not totally sure what I want to do. I don't think I want New York big law, but of course it's possible that could change. Looking to do PI/government probably - environmental law, in particular, working for an organization like the EPA, ideally, or maybe something in human rights, public defender, etc. Target markets are DC, Seattle (some ties), Portland, San Francisco, Austin, Nashville, maybe Charlotte. I know I'll get ripped for saying target markets outside of my schools' regions with no ties, but the best school I got into on the west coast is UW. Waitlisted at USC and UCLA, denied by Berkeley, didn't bother applying to Stanford. I like the South, but wouldn't mind getting out. Visited Vandy a couple weeks ago and loved it and thought Nashville was pretty cool. Penn was cool, too, but definitely seemed more intense.

What do you think?

Edited because I narrowed it down to Penn and Vandy.
Last edited by whitman on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:54 am, edited 5 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Vandy ($$), Georgetown ($), Penn (sticker)

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:58 pm

Those price differences aren't that high (though Nashville COL is pretty cheap and you could graduate there with much less debt than the others). However, I still think Penn's worth the difference

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:00 pm

whitman wrote:Not totally sure what I want to do. I don't think I want New York big law, but of course it's possible that could change. Looking to do PI/government probably - environmental law, in particular, working for an organization like the EPA, ideally, or maybe something in human rights, public defender, etc. Target markets are DC, Seattle (some ties), Portland, Austin, Nashville, maybe Charlotte. I know I'll get ripped for saying target markets outside of my schools' regions with no ties, but the best school I got into on the west coast is UW. Waitlisted at USC and UCLA, denied by Berkeley, didn't bother applying to Stanford. I like the South, but wouldn't mind getting out. Visited Vandy a couple weeks ago and loved it and thought Nashville was pretty cool.

What do you think?
What's total cost of attendance for each school? Are the above numbers recurring scholarships?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:44 pm

I don't want to post the schools' estimated costs of attendance because I don't think they're accurate. Instead, I'll post total tuition for each and you guys can extrapolate from that. Obviously, Nashville is lower COL than Philly, which is lower in turn than DC.

Vanderbilt: $84,700
Georgetown: $135,315
UPenn: $145,086

Plus cost of living for each. So it's really more like Vandy at $30,000 less than Georgetown and $70,000 less than Penn.

Listed scholarships are totals over the course of three years with no GPA requirements.

stylishlaw

Bronze

Post by stylishlaw » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Vandy places as well as, if not better, than GTown

Penn is a great school and 50K from Vandy is good, but not great. It's a toss up between the two. I think if you go to Vandy you get better QOL and a more enjoyable experience overall at a lower cost. Penn gives you better odds of placement in the northeast. Depends what is important to you, but I don't think GTown is viable given these two options. Especially since you didn't say you are only looking for DC and nothing else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:05 pm

whitman wrote: Vanderbilt: $84,700
Georgetown: $135,315
UPenn: $145,086

Plus cost of living for each. So it's really more like Vandy at $30,000 less than Georgetown and $70,000 less than Penn.

Listed scholarships are totals over the course of three years with no GPA requirements.
Sorry, but are these number after or before scholarship?

Regardless, I think Vandy is a contender here because it can place students in most of markets that you listed (DC,Austin, Nashville, and Charlotte). Have you tried negotiate money from Vandy using the Penn admission?

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:14 am

whitman wrote:Not totally sure what I want to do. I don't think I want New York big law, but of course it's possible that could change. Looking to do PI/government probably - environmental law, in particular, working for an organization like the EPA, ideally, or maybe something in human rights, public defender, etc. Target markets are DC, Seattle (some ties), Portland, San Francisco, Austin, Nashville, maybe Charlotte. I know I'll get ripped for saying target markets outside of my schools' regions with no ties, but the best school I got into on the west coast is UW. Waitlisted at USC and UCLA, denied by Berkeley, didn't bother applying to Stanford. I like the South, but wouldn't mind getting out. Visited Vandy a couple weeks ago and loved it and thought Nashville was pretty cool.

What do you think?
Why isn't Cornell an option here? [See OP's profile]

I picked Penn. $50K from Vandy isn't that much, Georgetown is too big, and its placement sucks, and Penn is the best positioned of its cousins to get you a job. Too bad you didn't get into Berkeley, though. That would've been perfect for you! Why did you get WLed at UCLA when you got into all these other (much better) schools? YP?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:21 am

niederbomb wrote:
whitman wrote:Not totally sure what I want to do. I don't think I want New York big law, but of course it's possible that could change. Looking to do PI/government probably - environmental law, in particular, working for an organization like the EPA, ideally, or maybe something in human rights, public defender, etc. Target markets are DC, Seattle (some ties), Portland, San Francisco, Austin, Nashville, maybe Charlotte. I know I'll get ripped for saying target markets outside of my schools' regions with no ties, but the best school I got into on the west coast is UW. Waitlisted at USC and UCLA, denied by Berkeley, didn't bother applying to Stanford. I like the South, but wouldn't mind getting out. Visited Vandy a couple weeks ago and loved it and thought Nashville was pretty cool.

What do you think?
Why isn't Cornell an option here? [See OP's profile]

I picked Penn. $50K from Vandy isn't that much, Georgetown is too big, and its placement sucks, and Penn is the best positioned of its cousins to get you a job. Too bad you didn't get into Berkeley, though. That would've been perfect for you! Why did you get WLed at UCLA when you got into all these other (much better) schools? YP?
I decided Northwestern and Cornell were too expensive and didn't bring anything new to the table that I couldn't get from Penn, Vandy or Georgetown. I wish I hadn't had a couple bum semesters that made me a 3.5/172 splitter because, yeah, Berkeley would have been perfect.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am

Vandy is still going to cost nearly 150k, right? If so, I'd vote Penn. If the difference were 100k, then I'd definitely go the other way, but Penn has significantly better employment opportunities than Vandy (and to a lesser extent GULC)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bornforlaw

New

Post by bornforlaw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:35 am

If you want to work for a law firm you should go to georgetown because it is in washington (dc) and thus it can help you get into one because washington is where most law firms are

handlesthetruth

Bronze

Post by handlesthetruth » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:36 am

bornforlaw wrote:If you want to work for a law firm you should go to georgetown because it is in washington (dc) and thus it can help you get into one because washington is where most law firms are
?

if this is real, you're an idiot.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 am

bornforlaw wrote:If you want to work for a law firm you should go to georgetown because it is in washington (dc) and thus it can help you get into one because washington is where most law firms are
handlesthetruth wrote:?

if this is real, you're an idiot.
Banned for being the same person.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:47 am

Wait, what? Those two posters are the same person?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:48 am

whitman wrote:Wait, what? Those two posters are the same person?
Yep, but one of them won't be rejoining us.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Is it crazy that I'm leaning toward Vandy? Not really interested in NYC, though I suppose that could change, and that seems like Penn's main advantage.

whitman

Silver

Re: Vandy ($$) vs. Penn (sticker)

Post by whitman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:55 pm

I guess that's a yes?

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:18 am

whitman wrote:I guess that's a yes?
Lol... no--not crazy. I'm a big believer in thinking about your personal priorities and gut feelings and making what is almost always going to be a difficult judgment call. There is no right answer. So, no, it's not crazy. (And you definitely wouldn't be the only person at Vandy who made such a choice.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cucullu

Bronze

Post by cucullu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:52 am

drylo wrote:
Lol... no--not crazy. I'm a big believer in thinking about your personal priorities and gut feelings and making what is almost always going to be a difficult judgment call. There is no right answer. So, no, it's not crazy. (And you definitely wouldn't be the only person at Vandy who made such a choice.)
I have friends at Penn who tell me it's bitterly competitive (and these are kids who came out on top of class and still looked miserable when telling the tale) whereas Vandy has the exact opposite reputation. The Vandy "collegial and friendly" reputation has been confirmed, at least for me, by the experiences of my friends there and what I observed on my visit. I haven't had a chance to visit Penn, so no first hand experience there, but no, I don't think you'd be crazy.

whitman

Silver

Re: Vandy ($$) vs. Penn (sticker) for Environmental/PI

Post by whitman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Can someone confirm Penn's more competitive atmosphere?

Also, for PI and environmental law, how do the two schools compare?

kellyg1234

New

Post by kellyg1234 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:27 pm

It may be more competitive because it's a higher ranked school.. but the people I met were incredibly friendly and said that other than the people trying to get in the top x% of the class to get an automatic spot on the Penn Law Journal, it's not competitive at all.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:29 pm

cucullu wrote:
drylo wrote:
I have friends at Penn who tell me it's bitterly competitive (and these are kids who came out on top of class and still looked miserable when telling the tale) whereas Vandy has the exact opposite reputation. The Vandy "collegial and friendly" reputation has been confirmed, at least for me, by the experiences of my friends there and what I observed on my visit. I haven't had a chance to visit Penn, so no first hand experience there, but no, I don't think you'd be crazy.
IBVeyron

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Come on Veyron, don't let us down.

whitman

Silver

Re: Vandy ($$) vs. Penn (sticker) for PI/Gov/environmental law

Post by whitman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Lame.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:35 am

For PI GULC wins out due to both Penn and Vandy having not great Lraps. But since it is between penn and vandy i'd probably go with vandy. They absolutely destroy their market and it definitely seems like you want to be at a school with a lot of local sway if you're interested in what you're interested in. Penn doesn't dominate its market so much.

DAisaka09

New

Post by DAisaka09 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm from the Seattle area and from what i understand any T14 degree is going to go pretty far in the PNW. I think that this is how it breaks down.

1. HYS
2. All other T14
3. UW
4. Seattle U/L&C/UofO

If i were in your shoes i would go with Penn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”