Temple 3L Taking Questions Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MrAnon

Gold

Re: Temple 3L Taking Questions

Post by MrAnon » Tue May 17, 2011 1:29 pm

I think the poster meant to say that they run the small law and insurance defense shops in Philly.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue May 17, 2011 1:54 pm

MrAnon wrote:I think the poster meant to say that they run the small law and insurance defense shops in Philly.
And the DA's office. And the PD's office. And the City Solicitor's office. And the plaintiff's attorney offices.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Right. Anything and everything on the low wage side. They've got it on lock-down.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue May 17, 2011 2:30 pm

MrAnon wrote:Right. Anything and everything on the low wage side. They've got it on lock-down.
And you believe that Villanova will give you a better shot at Blank Rome?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue May 17, 2011 2:54 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Right. Anything and everything on the low wage side. They've got it on lock-down.
It's a warsh, son. A warsh!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue May 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Ha! Heaven's no. Are those my only options?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue May 17, 2011 4:19 pm

MrAnon wrote:Ha! Heaven's no. Are those my only options?
We get it, you're a troll. Every once and a while the need to come online and strike down everything outside the top 30 or so law schools overtakes you, and you are compelled into action. Let's wrap it up, shall we? Temple is a losing proposition for almost all who enter. Jobs will be scarce, debt will be high, lives will be ruined. That about it, or you want to add something else before you move on to some poor sap who decided to go to Pepperdine?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue May 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Justathought wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Ha! Heaven's no. Are those my only options?
We get it, you're a troll. Every once and a while the need to come online and strike down everything outside the top 30 or so law schools overtakes you, and you are compelled into action. Let's wrap it up, shall we? Temple is a losing proposition for almost all who enter. Jobs will be scarce, debt will be high, lives will be ruined. That about it, or you want to add something else before you move on to some poor sap who decided to go to Pepperdine?
TBF: Temple >>> Pepperdine

Temple = cheap in-state tuition and feeds into a significantly less saturated (and coveted) market.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue May 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Any idea of how receptive Temple is to Nova students wanting to transfer over? I know the general requirement is you need to be top 20% for them to even consider you, and there's a very good shot I'll be in that category. Just curious if you knew any Nova - Temple transfers. I'm a Philly native, if that adds anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue May 17, 2011 4:52 pm

double post, fucking interwebs iz slow

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue May 17, 2011 9:28 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
Not really. That's like saying the University of Kentucky and Florida Coastal are a wash because they give you equal odds of being a Supreme Court clerk.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Tue May 17, 2011 9:45 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Does it bother you when Villanova students claim to attend a peer school to temple? Do you laugh right then and there or wait till they walk away?
What basis do you have for claiming they're not peer schools?
The Temple alumni network mafia runs the city of Philadelphia.
And yet job placement is practically equal.
It's true. I keep hearing people peg Temple as superior to Nova, when in reality I think they're totally identical in terms of placement.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue May 17, 2011 10:08 pm

arvcondor wrote: It's true. I keep hearing people peg Temple as superior to Nova, when in reality I think they're totally identical in terms of placement.
Don't feed the trolls.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Tue May 17, 2011 10:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:
arvcondor wrote: It's true. I keep hearing people peg Temple as superior to Nova, when in reality I think they're totally identical in terms of placement.
Don't feed the trolls.
I don't think johnny and heaven are trolls. I think they brought up some good discussion about Nova vs. Temple. Besides, OP abandoned this thread after the first page.

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Were you on a journal at Temple?

Do you have any idea how people on journals made out job wise?

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:59 pm

arvcondor wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Don't feed the trolls.
I don't think johnny and heaven are trolls. I think they brought up some good discussion about Nova vs. Temple. Besides, OP abandoned this thread after the first page.
I believe Beach Terror was talking about Mr. Anon who was trolling the hell out of this thread earlier.

The truth of the matter is, given two equally qualified candidates straight out of law school, Temple alums tend to take care of their own as do Nova grads. They've both been around long enough to have alums at all types of firms, from Big-Law to Small-Law. Where temple might be stronger in one area (trial advocacy, DA/PD's office), Nova excels in other areas (transactional/tax). Certain firms might look for one over the other simply because that's where their specialty lies.

That being said, At the end of the day, most grads are gonna become Philly lawyers and nobody really cares where you went to school past that first job. I know Widener grads who are partners at a large firm alongside UPenn grads, ditto Temple, Nova, and Rutgers-Camden. Is going to Temple over Widener gonna help you get that first job? Maybe. Is going to Temple over Nova gonna help you get that first job? Not so much.

Furthermore, after that first job it matters less and less what school you went to, and more and more what business you're bringing with you, or what friends you've made through networking.

Just my pragmatic .02

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue May 17, 2011 11:16 pm

x7227 wrote:
arvcondor wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Don't feed the trolls.
I believe Beach Terror was talking about Mr. Anon who was trolling the hell out of this thread earlier.

The truth of the matter is, given two equally qualified candidates straight out of law school, Temple alums tend to take care of their own as do Nova grads. They've both been around long enough to have alums at all types of firms, from Big-Law to Small-Law. Where temple might be stronger in one area (trial advocacy, DA/PD's office), Nova excels in other areas (transactional/tax). Certain firms might look for one over the other simply because that's where their specialty lies.

That being said, At the end of the day, most grads are gonna become Philly lawyers and nobody really cares where you went to school past that first job. I know Widener grads who are partners at a large firm alongside UPenn grads, ditto Temple, Nova, and Rutgers-Camden. Is going to Temple over Widener gonna help you get that first job? Maybe. Is going to Temple over Nova gonna help you get that first job? Not so much.

Furthermore, after that first job it matters less and less what school you went to, and more and more what business you're bringing with you, or what friends you've made through networking.

Just my pragmatic .02
Your comments are all very true, but I will add that, while school doesn't matter after your first job, it can be really fucking hard to find a first job in Philadelphia these days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue May 17, 2011 11:22 pm

johnnyutah wrote: Your comments are all very true, but I will add that, while school doesn't matter after your first job, it can be really fucking hard to find a first job in Philadelphia these days.
At least Wilmington is nearby. While many would have qualms working in worst state ever, it wouldn't bother me one bit. I'm probably going to bid heavily on DE firms for OCI, 2Ls have told me they're overlooked (at least compared to the Philly favorites).

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 pm

johnnyutah wrote: Your comments are all very true, but I will add that, while school doesn't matter after your first job, it can be really fucking hard to find a first job in Philadelphia these days.
That's very true...its certainly not like it was a few years back. That being said some of the big law firms are dipping their toes in the water again, and mid-law insurance defense firms that Mr. Anon so derided are definitely open for business again. Is it an all out roman-style party? Not by a long shot. Are things as bad as they were two years ago? Also not by a long shot.
beach_terror wrote: At least Wilmington is nearby. While many would have qualms working in worst state ever, it wouldn't bother me one bit. I'm probably going to bid heavily on DE firms for OCI, 2Ls have told me they're overlooked (at least compared to the Philly favorites).
Delaware...worst state ever? Yeah...right! They have...ummm...that screen door factory...and...ummm....tax free shopping and cheap booze? I mean...TAX FREE SHOPPING AND CHEAP BOOZE, WAAAHOOO! :lol:

JakeG3636

New

Post by JakeG3636 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:19 am

voltage88 wrote:Hey, I have a question about cross disciplinary opportunities at Temple. Are law students allowed to take courses in other departments like political science, history, anthro, etc?
Good question. I know people who do the JD/MBA program and some who do the JD/MPH. I know a few people who audited undergrad or other grad classes, but taking classes while not in a particular program is not so common.

JakeG3636

New

Post by JakeG3636 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:22 am

The top earning plaintiff's attorneys make more than any corporate transactional lawyer. Additionally, I don't see any evidence that Villanova lawyers are anymore prevalent at the large Philly firms than Temple. As has been pointed out, there is little difference in the area between the value of the degrees, it is an issue of where you want to live, and how much you want to pay.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JakeG3636

New

Post by JakeG3636 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 am

geekrocker37 wrote:Were you on a journal at Temple?

Do you have any idea how people on journals made out job wise?
Yeah I did a journal. I can't say how much it helped job wise. As I mentioned earlier, employers generally don't tell you why they hire you or why they don't. I can't say my friends on journals are doing much better or worse in terms of the job search than those who do not, with the exception of law review- pretty much all of them have something lined up.

Journal is also a ton of work, and can be pretty tedious. I can't say I give journal membership a ringing endorsement, but many people would probably strongly disagree.

JakeG3636

New

Post by JakeG3636 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:33 am

[/quote]
Your comments are all very true, but I will add that, while school doesn't matter after your first job, it can be really fucking hard to find a first job in Philadelphia these days.[/quote]

Yes it can. And that's true across the board. Even some Penn students can't find work in the area. I think the worst school to go to in the area has to be Drexel. People look down in Widener, but they have a strong alumni network, and a strong presence in both Philly and Delaware. Drexel has little reputation, and obviously no alumni network.

One thing that people overlook is the value of part-time jobs and internships. Lots of those come from career planning/Craigslist postings, adjunct professors, family friends, etc., and if you do a good job, you have a chance of getting a full-time offer. In those cases, it often doesn't matter where you go to school.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed May 18, 2011 12:33 am

x7227 wrote: Delaware...worst state ever? Yeah...right! They have...ummm...that screen door factory...and...ummm....tax free shopping and cheap booze? I mean...TAX FREE SHOPPING AND CHEAP BOOZE, WAAAHOOO! :lol:
Have you ever been to Delaware?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 am

johnnyutah wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
Not really. That's like saying the University of Kentucky and Florida Coastal are a wash because they give you equal odds of being a Supreme Court clerk.
Show me some quantitative proof, then. All the data I've seen says Temple and Villanova are peer schools, with Villanova getting a miniscule (read: statistically insignificant) edge in big law placement.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”