Northwestern vs. USC for Bay Area IP Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go for Bay Area IP

USC
29%
Northwestern
71%

Total votes: 34

eecs

New

Northwestern vs. USC for Bay Area IP

Post by eecs » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi everyone, looks like it's down to NU and USC for me, both at sticker. I want to practice in the Bay Area, the assumption being IP since that is what my background fits best/what seems to be the market in SF-SV. Don't want to do prosecution, so IP lit/transactions is what I'm looking at. Also interested in in-house positions, but that is more of a five year plan.

I already have strong ties to the Bay Area (where I grew up/did my UG). Not really much in the way of legal connections, but maybe 1-off given connections in tech.

Pretty much, my question: is USC's location in CA > NU's rank?

Also, if anyone can make a comparison of their visits that would be helpful. I visited NU and really liked it, but it's looking like I won't be able to make it to USC's ASD next week.

Thanks for the help.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Re: Northwestern vs. USC for Bay Area IP

Post by arhmcpo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Northwestern. Prestige gap and the benefits of a USC degree will be somewhat lessened with your bay area focus. FWIW I think you can get there with a degree from either since USC has that vaunted alumni network

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:44 am

Can you negotiate with USC for more money?

eecs

New

Post by eecs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:16 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Can you negotiate with USC for more money?
Well, my only negotiating point is that Northwestern is higher ranked. Neither gave me any money, so I can't give them an actual number to look at. Is USC liable to be swayed by rank?

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:36 pm

eecs wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Can you negotiate with USC for more money?
Well, my only negotiating point is that Northwestern is higher ranked. Neither gave me any money, so I can't give them an actual number to look at. Is USC liable to be swayed by rank?
Yes that could be sufficient leverage. Unless USC considers itself a peer of NW, you can use the fact NW accepted you as leverage for USC money. I think USC would recognize that most people, objectively, would choose NW over them so they should be willing to offer you money to sway the scales in their favor.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:47 am

I'd take NU. It seems that USC is so SoCal focused that their proximity to the Bay Area really is insignificant. Meanwhile, NU is in the magical land of T14, so they obv have national reach.
Unless you can get USC to give you a very good scholarship, go NU

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”