Opinions/Personal Experience About Which School is Best? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School?

Cincinnati- Haven't gotten scholarship yet. (35,000 Tuition)
14%
Richmond- 15,000 Scholarship. (33,000 Tuition)
21%
Oregon- 6,000 Scholarship (28,000 Tuition)
57%
Hofstra- 30,000 Scholarship (41,800 Tuition)
No votes
St. John's- 30,000 Scholarship (42,200 Tuition)
7%
Northeastern- 8,500 Scholarship (39,000 Tuition)
No votes

Total votes: 14

rgdavis2

New

Opinions/Personal Experience About Which School is Best?

Post by rgdavis2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:32 pm

No strong regional bias, looking for best combination of job prospects and lack of debt. Scholarships listed are per year.

Still waiting to hear back from Arizona and UCLA, WL at Colorado, Washington, Baylor.

Currently Cincinnati, Richmond, and Oregon are the schools I'm considering most seriously, what say you?
Last edited by rgdavis2 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Opinions/Personal Experience About Which School is Best?

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:39 pm

You probably need to develop a regional bias & then attend the law school in that geographic area.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:40 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You probably need to develop a regional bias & then attend the law school in that geographic area.
Why? as log as you can develop it/like the area that you go to school at? if you can be happy anywhere theoretically, that's what no regional bias means

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Oregon's cheerleaders are extremely attractive fwiw.

rgdavis2

New

Post by rgdavis2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:You probably need to develop a regional bias & then attend the law school in that geographic area.
Why? as log as you can develop it/like the area that you go to school at? if you can be happy anywhere theoretically, that's what no regional bias means
I genuinely do believe I could be happy anywhere, but I have a feeling that the setting of Oregon in the Pacific NW would most appeal to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:11 pm

I would go with Oregon or Richmond.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Are those scholarship figures per year or total? Also, it would be more helpful if you listed the total COA next to each school, rather than the scholarship and total tuition. You need to be considering living expenses as well. Plus, if any of us could do basic math, we wouldn't be going to law school.

rgdavis2

New

Post by rgdavis2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Magnolia wrote:Are those scholarship figures per year or total? Also, it would be more helpful if you listed the total COA next to each school, rather than the scholarship and total tuition. If any of us could do basic math, we wouldn't be going to law school.
The scholarship figures are per year. By COA do you mean just tuition minus scholarship or are you also including room, board, travel, etc?

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 pm

rgdavis2 wrote:
Magnolia wrote:Are those scholarship figures per year or total? Also, it would be more helpful if you listed the total COA next to each school, rather than the scholarship and total tuition. If any of us could do basic math, we wouldn't be going to law school.
The scholarship figures are per year. By COA do you mean just tuition minus scholarship or are you also including room, board, travel, etc?
COA includes all of your expenses, so COL + tuition - scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhiteCochran

New

Post by WhiteCochran » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 pm

FWIW, Cincinnati's COA is significantly less ($21k v $35k) if you qualify for the Graduate Metro Rate, which apparently can obtained easily (i.e. get a KY driver's license) and quickly (i.e. before 1L starts) if you move to Northern Kentucky. I think you've got the right idea putting Cincy, Oregon, and Richmond above the others. If you have the time/money, definitely make some visits and figure out where you think you'd be happiest/most productive spending 3+ years.

rgdavis2

New

Post by rgdavis2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:31 pm

WhiteCochran wrote:FWIW, Cincinnati's COA is significantly less ($21k v $35k) if you qualify for the Graduate Metro Rate, which apparently can obtained easily (i.e. get a KY driver's license) and quickly (i.e. before 1L starts) if you move to Northern Kentucky. I think you've got the right idea putting Cincy, Oregon, and Richmond above the others. If you have the time/money, definitely make some visits and figure out where you think you'd be happiest/most productive spending 3+ years.
I am from the midwest and currently attend a midwestern university so establishing residency in Kentucky may not work. Are you advocating that I take a year off to establish Kentucky residency or do I just have to move there a few weeks before 1L starts and get a license?

rgdavis2

New

Post by rgdavis2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:18 pm

-

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”