Temple Instate Question Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Justathought

Silver

Temple Instate Question

Post by Justathought » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 am

So I just got into Temple this morning. My family has a summer home in PA. I'm wondering if I could make use of that for residency purposes. I'm not on the home's deed at the moment, but easily could be.

Wholigan

Silver

Re: Temple Instate Question

Post by Wholigan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:34 am

I don't think they look at a summer home. In-state tuition is sometimes negotiable though, just like stips and scholarship amounts.

http://www.temple.edu/registrar/documen ... cation.pdf
Generally speaking, a student who has resided in Pennsylvania for at least twelve (12) continuous months immediately prior to enrollment at Temple University or any other institution of higher education in Pennsylvania is presumed to be a resident for tuition purposes.
The following factors may be considered by the University in determining whether a student is domiciled in Pennsylvania:
1. lease or purchase of a permanent, independent residence in Pennsylvania;
2. payment of applicable state and local taxes and the filing of appropriate returns for such taxes;
3. transfer of bank accounts, stock, automobile and other registered property to Pennsylvania;
4. a Pennsylvania driver's license;
5. registration to vote in Pennsylvania;
6. acceptance of an offer of permanent full-time employment in Pennsylvania upon graduation;
7. continuous presence in Pennsylvania during significant periods while not enrolled as a student;
8. membership in Pennsylvania, social, athletic, civic, political and/or religious organizations;
9. affidavit of intention to reside permanently in Pennsylvania after completion of coursework; and
10. for minors or students claiming independence, evidence that the student is not a dependent.

Justathought

Silver

Re: Temple Instate Question

Post by Justathought » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks very much for the information. This could be tricky. I could probably get my name on the deed, and then get a PA drivers license. I don't know if that would be enough though. Temple is very attractive at an instate price, but for me, equally unattractive at an OOS price.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”