SMU (full) v. Columbia v. Berkeley (@ sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

SMU (full) vs. Columbia (sticker) vs. Berkeley (sticker)?

SMU (full ride)
21%
Columbia at sticker
71%
Berkeley at sticker
7%

Total votes: 28

flepper

New

SMU (full) v. Columbia v. Berkeley (@ sticker)

Post by flepper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope to end up in Texas for my legal career - anywhere but Houston. My options are the above - full ride at SMU, or sticker at two amazing T14 schools. I just received word of the scholarship today and am pinging everyone I know about this; any TLS input would help.

I know Columbia could get me back to TX, Biglaw possibly if I want to go there (and I probably do, provided I bust my ass). Berkeley, same thing, though it has less cachet than CLS. SMU could provide the opportunity in Dallas for it if I REALLY bust my ass and end up at the top of the class, but a free ride is incredibly hard to turn down. Plus, I have no idea how I'll perform in law school.

Any pearls of wisdom?

mbusch22

Bronze

Re: SMU (full) v. Columbia v. Berkeley (@ sticker)

Post by mbusch22 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:54 pm

flepper wrote:Plus, I have no idea how I'll perform in law school.
exactly. work your ass off at columbia instead of smu.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:55 pm

Berkeley is out.

Take CLS if you are okay with working biglaw or want PI. Take SMU if you want neither biglaw nor PI.

AC1984

New

Post by AC1984 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:06 pm

I definitely think Berkeley is out given what you said. Between CLS and SMU is tough...I think you need to honestly consider how well you might do at each school. CLS will be a much higher caliber of student and likely more competitive (meaning rising to the top will be more difficult). Given you want to end up in Texas and SMU seems to have a pretty good reputation there I would say take SMU and work hard to be at the very top of the class to ensure job prospects. If you are at all thinking about going outside Texas then CLS is by far the better choice.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Did you apply to UT?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:12 pm

AC1984 wrote:I would say take SMU and work hard to be at the very top of the class to ensure job prospects. If you are at all thinking about going outside Texas then CLS is by far the better choice.
:lol: at the bold.

OP, go to Columbia. T14 + Texas ties has been win the past few years.

flepper

New

Post by flepper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:13 pm

bk187, seeing your posts around here, I always appreciate your usual brevity and frankness :)

To whom it may concern, I'd like to focus on health law. I'd also like to help people in the future (not necessarily patient advocacy - regulatory law, business law, etc. are all interests of mine). However, I have no immediate plans for, say, the two years after school - Biglaw, PI, or otherwise. Anything that opens up doors is a valid option, though Biglaw is obviously a very attractive option. Nutty choice...

flepper

New

Post by flepper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:14 pm

src42 wrote:Did you apply to UT?
I did apply to UT, but they haven't given me a decision yet. I'm out-of-state, though originally from TX. Competition is always tougher at that level for us OOSers, I guess.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm a 1L at SMU, but I think you shouldn't think twice about going to Columbia. You have Texas ties, so you shouldn't encounter problems finding a job out here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Columbia. Berkeley isn't as good placement-wise (especially for TX) and its more expensive (probably even with in-state tuition by the time you graduate). Yes, SMU is free, but unless you do extremely well, you won't get those three years of your life back. That said, if you do get into UT, make sure they know about your acceptances from CLS/Berkeley. If they cough up even a little bit of money, I would take it in a heartbeat.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:24 pm

SMU 1L. Absolutely take CLS. I would in a second.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”