UT Austin vs. Michigan State with Full Scholarship? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BeachandRun23

Bronze

Re: UT Austin vs. Michigan State with Full Scholarship?

Post by BeachandRun23 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:49 pm

lisjjen wrote:c) MSU is limited to Michigan and the immediate area. The only limit UT faces with national placement is convincing employers that their students are serious about leaving the state. No, seriously.
Yeah, UT probably places in Michigan alot better than MSU does. I talked to many people at the ASW that are chooisng UT over numerous other T10 schools. Granted most of them want texas, but I think chooisng UT over a TTT is a no brainer.

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm

UT Austin is probably a better choice even at sticker. It gives you greater flexibility and since you are from Michigan returning to Michigan with a UT degree shouldn't be a problem...
In addition, Austin is an amazing place to spend 3 years!

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 pm

beidoun wrote:
chalhou1 wrote:
beidoun wrote:Michigan State is full of students that lost their scholarship after their 1L year. The last thing you want to do is go to MSU, lose your scholarship and be wishing you went to Texas.

If you really want to stay in Michigan, you would be better of going to Wayne State then MSU.

Go to UT
link or are you just talking out of your ass?
I am from Michigan and know students who go to MSU law. They have pretty bad stipulations from what I remember.

so you're talking out of your ass...

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:42 am

chalhou1 wrote:
beidoun wrote:
chalhou1 wrote:
beidoun wrote:Michigan State is full of students that lost their scholarship after their 1L year. The last thing you want to do is go to MSU, lose your scholarship and be wishing you went to Texas.

If you really want to stay in Michigan, you would be better of going to Wayne State then MSU.

Go to UT
link or are you just talking out of your ass?
I am from Michigan and know students who go to MSU law. They have pretty bad stipulations from what I remember.

so you're talking out of your ass...
Such high standards for TLS all of a sudden. If the dude wants to share anecdotal evidence, then let him be.

Gawd.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:46 am

Mich state is rank 95! You might not even be able to get a job at top 20% grades. And chances are extremely slim for transfering to T14 schools even if you are top 1%.

Go UT. You could seriously probably get full or near full scholarships at top 30 schools. this is too big a drop

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:19 am

bro...here are some stats. Definitely choose UT or get some full schollys at T25, T30 schools.

Texas market is also Booming, and a UT law degree will probably do better than MSU's degree, since MSU is so lowly ranked... Also you will likely not have a problem convincing Michigan employers that you want to work there because you have strong ties after having lived there.

UT JOB STATS
25th percentile private sector starting salary: $145,000
Median private sector salary: $160,000
75th percentile private sector starting salary: $160,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 88%
Bar admission required/anticipated at jobs: 92.0%
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 91.2%

MSU JOB STATS
25th percentile private sector starting salary: $47,500
Median private sector salary: $65,000
75th percentile private sector starting salary: $100,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 36%
Bar admission required/anticipated at jobs: 54.0%
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: Not Reported

UT ACADEMIC STATS
Total # students: 1154
Total # part-time faculty: 55
Total # full-time faculty: 84
Total # faculty (PT & FT): 139

MSU ACADEMIC STATS
Total # students: 884
Total # part-time faculty: 63
Total # full-time faculty: 30
Total # faculty: 93

Job stats pretty much say it all, but also note the disparity in percentages b/w full-time faculty. If we follow the 884-1154 MSU to UT student ratio, MSU should have 64 FT faculty. But it has 30.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am

I am an MSU student, and I like this law school, but UT is a very good law school, and it will afford you many more opportunities than going to MSU will. IF it was a choice between MSU and a school below the top 25 or so, I may tell you go to MSU with the full ride, but that is not the case.

The thing about doing well placing in Michigan is a valid point, but if Michigan firms know you are from Michigan and have ties to the state, they will leave the door open for you much more than if you were a Texas native and went to Texas and were just looking for a job in Michigan.

So, go to UT, pay the money, and get a good job after graduation. I think you will be better off in the long run.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:31 pm

Have you thought about putting a poll up?

Flanker1127

New

Post by Flanker1127 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:45 am

Michigan State is full of students that lost their scholarship after their 1L year. The last thing you want to do is go to MSU, lose your scholarship and be wishing you went to Texas.

Go to UT[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

He's right, the stipulations make it very hard to renew at MSU. I emailed the admissions assistant and simply asked what the average 1L gpa is. The answer is a 2.8. Thus, most students will not have a 3.0 or higher meaning many won't renew. Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cabbydui

New

Post by cabbydui » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:10 pm

I honestly don't believe that the median is 2.8. I think that it is higher than 3.0

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”