Marquette vs. Mizzou vs. Creighton Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bmorrison2288

New

Marquette vs. Mizzou vs. Creighton

Post by bmorrison2288 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:09 am

Got in at all three and also some higher ranked chicago schools (kent, loyola, depaul) and KU but the saturated chicago market has scared me off. Money isn't a factor for me (thanks grandpa) and i'm not taking a year off or retaking the lsat (158,3.6). Although creighton is lower ranked i have lot of family connections in omaha which helps. Any insights on which to choose, marquette, mizzou, or creighton?

bearsfan1

Bronze

Re: Marquette vs. Mizzou vs. Creighton

Post by bearsfan1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 pm

Marquette if you want Milwaukee (Marquette's behind UW). Mizzou for Missouri in general (if you want KC or STL you'll have to deal with UMKC, WashU and SLU grads). Creighton if you want Omaha (Nebraska grads will be fighting for the best Omaha jobs). If you're in-state, I'd go with Mizzou if you don't mind Missouri. A Mizzou degree could probably get you back to Omaha a few years after graduating if that's where you want to end up, but I don't know how far a Marquette degree would take you.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:46 pm

bmorrison2288 wrote:Got in at all three and also some higher ranked chicago schools (kent, loyola, depaul) and KU but the saturated chicago market has scared me off. Money isn't a factor for me (thanks grandpa) and i'm not taking a year off or retaking the lsat (158,3.6). Although creighton is lower ranked i have lot of family connections in omaha which helps. Any insights on which to choose, marquette, mizzou, or creighton?
Any idea what type of work you'd like to go into?

bmorrison2288

New

Post by bmorrison2288 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:05 pm

im leaning towards mediation-dispute resolution, so all three fair pretty well in that area...appreciate the kenny powers pic

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:53 am

bmorrison2288 wrote:im leaning towards mediation-dispute resolution, so all three fair pretty well in that area...appreciate the kenny powers pic
Well, it looks like you're in a good position either way. I haven't heard back from Marquette yet, but I'm probably going to be in the same situation with a Mizzou vs. Marquette debate.

Your issues may be a little different from mine, but maybe we could compare perspectives?

Here are a few of mine:

I personally like Milwaukee more than Columbia. The city has more attractions, the school is down the street from the courthouse, and the new building blows away most of the other law schools I've been to.

On the other hand, Mizzou seems like it may be down, but that probably won't last long. After attending their ASD it seemed that they were making some nice changes to regain their status. It's also really close to the state capital, which provides some clinical opportunities, and their (higher ranked) dispute resolution program will definitely provide some opportunities to get some experience. The issue is that, outside of government work or a handful of firms in Jefferson City, there isn't as much industry in the area to provide as many internships/externships or a part-time (bitchclerk) job to boost your resume while you're studying.

However. . .Marquette seems like it has a niche in the upper Midwest market. This is good and bad. The good aspect is that its student seem to have less competition from outside law school grads, and therefore greater access to jobs in Milwaukee. The bad aspect is that this is a real concern if your ultimate goal is to move back to Nebraska. Mizzou is super regional within Missouri, but I talked to a handful of 1Ls and 2Ls who either secured jobs outside of the state, or were in the process of utilizing their connections outside of the state. Their career services was also one of its weak spots, and from what I gathered at ASD, this was one of the areas Mizzou felt they needed to make some changes. As a result of this, they expanded their career services, so you might have additional people devoted to helping you find work back home. This last area is all speculation since they just implemented this last year and haven't had enough time to establish themselves, but I would think that if Mizzou went to the trouble of hiring additional people, they'd be particularly motivated to push career services to step their game up.

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmorrison2288

New

Post by bmorrison2288 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:17 pm

Yea, I def think Mizzou has room to grow and most likely will. I'm just scared of being stuck in Missouri. And even though I live in Illinois, I have connections in Omaha if all else fails. I like the feel of a Big Ten school, but to honest I probably won't have time to take advantage of it.

I'm kind of leaning towards a big city feel, and Milwaukee has that, although I will have to deal with being a cubs fan. Plus all my friends are moving to Chicago so I'd only be an hour away, if I could find the time. I'm a little concerned that I might be at the bottom of the barrel at that school but I guess I can handle a challenge. And their mediation program is ranked right behind Mizzou's if I'm not mistaken. Decisions, decisions.....

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:56 pm

bmorrison2288 wrote:Yea, I def think Mizzou has room to grow and most likely will. I'm just scared of being stuck in Missouri.
That about sums up all my issues.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”