Overapplied... Help me choose among T14 schools!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Please help!!

UT Austin ($90,000)
8%
Virginia ($130,000)
10%
Penn ($150,000)
5%
Michigan ($160,000)
12%
Chicago ($160,000)
51%
NYU ($210,000)
14%

Total votes: 203

texaskk

Bronze

Overapplied... Help me choose among T14 schools!!

Post by texaskk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:26 am

So I have been avoiding making a thread like this thinking I could narrow down the options on my own, but with only a few weeks left to go I am starting to panic and need your help!

The amounts listed next to each school are the approximate total debt I would finish with after 3 years. Here are some other factors to take into consideration:

I think I would like to do private international law (transactions, international tax, something in that realm) at a big firm, and there's a (pretty slight) chance that I'd be interested in academia as an alternative.

I have grown up in Austin, spent 4 yrs at UT undergrad, and am interested in having a new experience/moving to a new city. I've always wanted to live in a big city, but this isn't a paramount concern for law school as I could always do this after graduation.

My SO is currently a 1L at Michigan. He is open to the possibility of long distance, and if we stay together we would likely live in Houston after graduating.

I am fairly outgoing and like to go out/be social, and while I am not looking to replicate my UT undergrad social experience in law school, I would like to go somewhere where the student body is at least relatively "socially aware."

Thanks so much!!
Last edited by texaskk on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Overapplied... Help me choose among T14 schools!!

Post by Knock » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 am

Chicago.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:28 am

Uchi, it is a solid balance, though you should go to all of the ASWs because that would be sweet (also, you can pick the one that fits you best)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:42 am

Knock wrote:Chicago.
Can't believe I voted Chicago twice today. Quick, start a poll, I will vote it again too :)

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:43 am

The mention of tax screams NYU, although it probably isn't worth $50k over Chicago. The mention of academia scream Chicago. Then again, if you want to be in Houston a few years from now UT might be the best choice (though I realize you said you wanted a new experience). If I were you it would probably come down to Chicago vs. Texas, but picking between those two would be tough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 am

You're going to get a lot of Chicago votes because you mentioned Academia, but keep in mind that Chicago's formerly sizable placement gap over CNMVPBDCG has decreased somewhat in recent years (see http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... a#p4188514).

Chicago's firm placement power is still going to be somewhat stronger than Michigan's, but I don't know how tough it is to break into the Houston market from one school vs. the other. You'll have to weigh whether giving up those two years with your SO is worth whatever benefit Chicago will provide that Michigan won't. For some people it will, for others it won't - that's going to come down to personal preference and how serious the relationship is. Good luck with your decision!

shortporch

New

Post by shortporch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:41 pm

texaskk wrote:there's a (pretty slight) chance that I'd be interested in academia as an alternative.
The way you've described this factor means it should be absolutely irrelevant in your law school choice, for what it's worth.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:47 pm

If you're positive you want to be in Houston/TX post-graduation, then go UT.

Otherwise, Uchi.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Chicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Chicago - your SO will be accessible in Ann Arbor (4 hr. drive, 1 hr. flight, 5ish hr. train) and you'll have enough space between each other to really bury yourself in the books during 1L

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:23 pm

Expensive options, much?

I vote UT solely on the basis of price and where you want to end up. If price were not a factor, Chicago

As a side note, Baker Botts (texas offices) OCI's at UT, U of Chicago, and Harvard.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:40 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:The mention of tax screams NYU, although it probably isn't worth $50k over Chicago. The mention of academia scream Chicago. Then again, if you want to be in Houston a few years from now UT might be the best choice (though I realize you said you wanted a new experience). If I were you it would probably come down to Chicago vs. Texas, but picking between those two would be tough.
I agree that NYU's tax program isn't worth $50k over Chi. Also, I know somebody who visited NYU during her 3rd year to take advantage of the tax offerings, and she both got her degree elsewhere and now works in a Biglaw tax department. That's a possibility to consider. In sum, Chicago.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:12 pm

I think this should really be a choice between Chicago and Michigan. I'd personally pick Chicago because of the better career prospects and chance at academia, but I could understand choosing Michigan depending on how serious your relationship is.

Good luck with the decision, you have some amazing choices!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:20 pm

I vote Chicago as well just because it fits most things the best (even ignoring your slight interest in academia).

UT is strong in TX and Houston, but you can 'get away with more' grade-wise at a higher ranked school and still place well in TX pretty easily from what I have seen (given you clearly have ties to the state).

UT is also not giving you enough money for it to be the best choice imo...maybe if it were cheaper. Mich and UChicago cost the same, so probably Chicago unless you really want to be with your SO. I don't believe it would hurt your TX chances by too much.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Other than NYU (because of cost), any option is fine since you can earn an LLM in Taxation later at NYU. The savings from attending any option besides NYU can almost pay for your one year LLM in Taxation at NYU.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:38 pm

clintonius wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:The mention of tax screams NYU, although it probably isn't worth $50k over Chicago. The mention of academia scream Chicago. Then again, if you want to be in Houston a few years from now UT might be the best choice (though I realize you said you wanted a new experience). If I were you it would probably come down to Chicago vs. Texas, but picking between those two would be tough.
I agree that NYU's tax program isn't worth $50k over Chi. Also, I know somebody who visited NYU during her 3rd year to take advantage of the tax offerings, and she both got her degree elsewhere and now works in a Biglaw tax department. That's a possibility to consider. In sum, Chicago.
It's tax LLMs that you're both thinking of.

...or what CW said.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
clintonius wrote:

...or what CW said.
The classes are the same and the professors are the same. Plus, the joint degree that let's you get the LLM in 3 years. You have more tax options at NYU, but like I said... It's not worth 50k

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:12 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
clintonius wrote:

...or what CW said.
No, I was talking about a visiting student who spent the 3rd year of her JD program at NYU. But yeah, they're know for the LLM, too.

texaskk

Bronze

Post by texaskk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks for all the responses so far guys!

I'm actually pretty surprised so many people are voting NYU; I understand they have a great tax program but I had kind of ruled it out since its the only school where I'd be paying sticker and is thus significantly more expensive than the others (plus COL in New York, yikes)...

I agree with what seems to be the general consensus that U Chicago is a strong choice on many fronts. I guess the only thing that is holding me back is a fear that I wouldn't fit in very well with the student body/culture there. Does anyone know if the rumors are true? (cough *rigor* cough)
Last edited by texaskk on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 am

texaskk wrote:Thanks for all the responses so far guys!

I'm actually pretty surprised so many people are voting NYU; I understand the have a great tax program but I had kind of ruled it out since its the only school where I'd be paying sticker and is thus significantly more expensive than the others...

I agree with what seems to be the general consensus that U Chicago is a strong choice on many fronts. I guess the only thing that is holding me back is a fear that I wouldn't fit in very well with the student body/culture there. Does anyone know if the rumors are true? (cough *rigor* cough)
I was only half-joking when I said you should go to all of the ASWs, for your top three, probably NYU, Uchi and Mich, you really should and then pick the one you like the best, you really can't go too far wrong at this point.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 am

Too bad you don't have options...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 am

texaskk wrote:Thanks for all the responses so far guys!

I'm actually pretty surprised so many people are voting NYU; I understand they have a great tax program but I had kind of ruled it out since its the only school where I'd be paying sticker and is thus significantly more expensive than the others (plus COL in New York, yikes)...

I've heard that both the "rigor" and aspergers-heavy student body reputations at UC are exaggerated, but I don't speak from experience.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:44 am

Michigan or Chicago, depending on which school you like more/if you want to be with your SO.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 am

Fresh wrote:Chicago - your SO will be accessible in Ann Arbor (4 hr. drive, 1 hr. flight, 5ish hr. train) and you'll have enough space between each other to really bury yourself in the books during 1L
This, and OP's desire to live outside of Austin for a little while, are why I voted Chicago.

SO: Chicago is close enough to visit but far enough that you won't get in each others' hair. I really strongly second this point from the poster above. If this is someone you're serious about, I think you want both for the next couple years. Otherwise the distance might be too much.

Academia: It does place better than the other schools, and you're not paying substantially more than you would at MVP. (Chicago at $160 > UVA at $130).

Job prospects: Texas ties, a UT degree, and a Chicago degree? I think you'd have strong chances of finding work in Houston, all right.

Debt: The top firms in Texas pay $145-160K to start, and while their pay scales don't ramp up as fast as NYC/DC/etc., the lower COL and reduced taxes in Texas will make it easier to pay that debt off.

kid charlemagne

New

Post by kid charlemagne » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:17 pm

If your "S.O." goes to Michigan, why wouldn't you go there....?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”