FSU or bust? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Intraining

Bronze

FSU or bust?

Post by Intraining » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:47 am

In: with 24k at Miami, tuition equalizer at South Carolina, 7k at LSU, some money at Missouri, and Stetson.

Dinged: Houston, Florida

WL:William and Mary

Still waiting: Bama, FSU, Georgia State

With a 3.4 160 I would think that Bama would be an auto-reject but I'm not sure. Georgia State's lack of a college campus is a definite turn off to me, and options in Miami, the limited market in south Carolina, and LSU are underwhelming. If FSU takes a pass this year, should I retake a third time and take a year off (possibly working in Tallahassee and therefor gaining in-state)?

Intraining

Bronze

Re: FSU or bust?

Post by Intraining » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:08 pm

Bump, would really appreciate some input

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:10 pm

What was your first score?

Intraining

Bronze

Post by Intraining » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:13 pm

156, but i consistantly pt'd in the mid 160's before my latest test. Felt like both weren't indicative of what I could do.

At this rate, I'm just hesitant about being a 27 year old law graduate, and falling behind other younger jd's.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Intraining wrote:156, but i consistantly pt'd in the mid 160's before my latest test. Felt like both weren't indicative of what I could do.

At this rate, I'm just hesitant about being a 27 year old law graduate, and falling behind other younger jd's.

im going to be a 27year old 1L. you arent behind anyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 pm

The in-state status would def. help you out. I'm assuming you want to practice in FL? If so, waiting a year to gain instate status would be a major help. UM isn't bad but nor is it great. More information about your long-term goals would be helpful....

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:18 pm

What are the stipulations for the Miami scholarship? If they are reasonable, Miami doesn't seem like it would be that horrible of an option. But if you lose the scholarship, you're fucked.

EDIT: If you're PTing in the mid 160's, you should retake and get into UF and FSU.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Your Miami package isnt horrible assuming no stips. Also 27 isnt terrible. A hiring partner told me that they have red flags when they see a guy wanting to work for their firm who is over 30 because they cant get as much profit out of him since he said for the first 5 years you basically are losing the company money or breaking even at best. At 27 you would be slightly above the median at my school I would say.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:32 pm

If that's your biggest fear you have NOTHING to worry about...I can't imagine the percentage of students who finish UG in 4 years and go straight to law school is very high. I took 5 years to do undergrad and starting LS when I'm 23, and I feel like I am in the vast majority. Finishing at 27 is nothing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:36 pm

I'm turning 25 a couple months into 1L and I was under the impression that I was right around median age if not slightly below.....

Intraining

Bronze

Post by Intraining » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:38 pm

mez06 wrote:The in-state status would def. help you out. I'm assuming you want to practice in FL? If so, waiting a year to gain instate status would be a major help. UM isn't bad but nor is it great. More information about your long-term goals would be helpful....

Appreciate the info, I'd love to get into environmental law, but like most TLS'rs I also dream of biglaw and will likely mull that over. Honestly somewhere in the hazy future I would ideally pursue a political career (which makes Tally an ideal location due to networking).

Also, the Miami stip is maintaining a 3.2 GPA... not terrible (the dean said that given the stip, around 80 percent of last years recipients would have retained their scholarship).

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm

Intraining wrote:
mez06 wrote:The in-state status would def. help you out. I'm assuming you want to practice in FL? If so, waiting a year to gain instate status would be a major help. UM isn't bad but nor is it great. More information about your long-term goals would be helpful....

Appreciate the info, I'd love to get into environmental law, but like most TLS'rs I also dream of biglaw and will likely mull that over. Honestly somewhere in the hazy future I would ideally pursue a political career (which makes Tally an ideal location due to networking).

Also, the Miami stip is maintaining a 3.2 GPA... not terrible (the dean said that given the stip, around 80 percent of last years recipients would have retained their scholarship).

they all say that. Remember- once you are accepted, the job of the admissions staff is to sell the school to you. It sucks for the 20% who lost it. However, do your research on your own and see if its something you are comfortable taking on

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Is there a grade curve that requires a median GPA of the entire class?

No.

We do have rules as set forth below for the first year class for the grade distribution. These rules for first year courses require a minimum percentage of grades at B+ or A (20%), and a minimum percentage of grades at B, B+ or A(45%). The distribution rules also require a percentage of grades at C minus or below (5%-15%). Thus, a professor can satisfy the grade distribution requirements by giving 95% of the students in the class an A and 5% a C minus.
Interesting......I didn't know this about Miami's grading system.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm considering a year off, graduating at 26 and I'd still be on the young end at almost every school. Check the medians at schools, but I think that the overall average starting age is around 24 at most schools with a few above and below.

Besides, who would you rather hire, a 26 year old Stetson grad or a 27 year old UF grad?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'm considering a year off, graduating at 26 and I'd still be on the young end at almost every school. Check the medians at schools, but I think that the overall average starting age is around 24 at most schools with a few above and below.

Besides, who would you rather hire, a 26 year old Stetson grad or a 27 year old UF grad?
Preach it

Intraining

Bronze

Post by Intraining » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get the call from FSU and render this conversation moot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”