Duke????? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
craygar

New

Duke?????

Post by craygar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:25 am

Now, I just recently got into GULC and Duke, and I have been reading these boards for quite a while, though this is the first time im posting on this concern exactly.

I got money at Duke (like 1/3rd), waiting on it at GULC, and I have simply been worried about reputation and placement. Are these good schools? I want to work either in DC or New York later in life, which I realize GULC feeds well into DC. Most of what I've read on these boards about top law schools/t14 has not been positive on these topics, prefering schools like NU even though its lower than Duke.

Bottom line: If im set on going to a top law school, do I put it off a year and try during next years cycle and try to boost my resume? Or are these good institutions that people at TLS feel will set one up well for a life in law.

Any ideas, good or bad, are much appreciated.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Re: Duke?????

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:27 am

Duke is on par with NU, and both are better than Georgetown. Avoid Georgetown.

stylishlaw

Bronze

Post by stylishlaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 am

Go to Duke. I don't really foresee Gtown giving more money than Duke and Duke is better for BigLaw prospects.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 am

Stop worrying, you're fine.

Sure, these boards are a little pessimistic about GULC's job prospects and may have a negative thing or two to say about Duke, and rightfully so, but at the end of the day, 90% of applicants would lose a limb to go a school like Duke or GULC. They are great schools. Period.

Unless you truly believe that you seriously underperformed on the LSAT, there's not much you can do in one year to boost your resume anyway (peace corp? form a multi-million dollar corporation? win a pulitzer? I don't know). My advice would be to visit each and see what you like more. Personally, Duke seems like the better option (both for employment prospects and because it costs less). Do your part, work hard, and get decent grades, and the rest will eventually follow.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:03 am

craygar wrote:Now, I just recently got into GULC and Duke, and I have been reading these boards for quite a while, though this is the first time im posting on this concern exactly.

I got money at Duke (like 1/3rd), waiting on it at GULC, and I have simply been worried about reputation and placement. Are these good schools? I want to work either in DC or New York later in life, which I realize GULC feeds well into DC. Most of what I've read on these boards about top law schools/t14 has not been positive on these topics, prefering schools like NU even though its lower than Duke.

Bottom line: If im set on going to a top law school, do I put it off a year and try during next years cycle and try to boost my resume? Or are these good institutions that people at TLS feel will set one up well for a life in law.

Any ideas, good or bad, are much appreciated.
Go to Duke unless you have great numbers and applied late in the cycle. That'd keep you out of any schools you might have gotten into otherwise. I wouldn't do GTown over Duke w/ 1/3 unless I got 1/2 or more at Gtown.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dukey

New

Post by dukey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:30 am

NorCalBruin wrote:Stop worrying, you're fine.

Sure, these boards are a little pessimistic about GULC's job prospects and may have a negative thing or two to say about Duke, and rightfully so, but at the end of the day, 90% of applicants would lose a limb to go a school like Duke or GULC. They are great schools. Period.
If you really want DC, negotiate $ (shouldn't have a huge problem with this) --> then go to GULC. If GULC doesn't give you anything, it wouldn't make sense to go there, given your 1/3 @ Duke.

TLS seriously overstates the negatives of GULC; the school definitely has many strengths.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

NorCalBruin wrote: Sure, these boards are a little pessimistic about GULC's job prospects and may have a negative thing or two to say about Duke, and rightfully so
Oh come on. 95% of everything anyone on here says based more on their personal prejudices and ignorance than on fact. And while there are legitimate complaints to make about EVERY school in the T14, not just these two, 95% of the legitimate complaints never get brought up here. Most of the ones that do stem from sports rivalries, or people's insecurity in their own self worth. They are all great schools, and you should be fine coming from any of them.

I know you likely agree with me, and you were likely including that statement to be political. But I still felt I had to point that out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”