BC vs Emory vs Fordham?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ls24

New

BC vs Emory vs Fordham??

Post by ls24 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:36 pm

My goal is to do corporate law for a few years and then switch to government work- and as of now I would like that to be in the DC/NYC region. I got $60K at Emory and have not gotten scholarship info from the other two yet, but I'm not very debt averse. I would ideally have liked to stay in DC where I work now and went to undergrad, but i'm on the waitlist at GW and Georgetown, both of which I plan on riding out. Living in NYC would be great too, though. I've never been to either Boston or Atlanta, and I've heard good things about both cities, but I kind of hate the thought of living so far from home and unless I end up really liking them, I dont think I would want to work in those cities. What do you guys think??

dpk711

Silver

Re: BC vs Emory vs Fordham??

Post by dpk711 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:08 am

I would say if you're certain that you want to work in NY then Fordham might be the school to go to.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:31 am

dpk711 wrote:I would say if you're certain that you want to work in NY then Fordham might be the school to go to.
+1

also, feel comfortable asking fordham if they can offer some money in light of the 60 from Emory.

ls24

New

Post by ls24 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:51 am

tourdeforcex wrote:
dpk711 wrote:I would say if you're certain that you want to work in NY then Fordham might be the school to go to.
+1

also, feel comfortable asking fordham if they can offer some money in light of the 60 from Emory.
Thanks for the responses! I definitely prefer the NYC location, because the other two are so far away, and I love nyc, but both BC and Emory are ranked a little better- as far as job prospects and reputation do you think the rankings matter enough for me to seriously consider BC or Emory over Fordham?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:11 am

ls24 wrote:Thanks for the responses! I definitely prefer the NYC location, because the other two are so far away, and I love nyc, but both BC and Emory are ranked a little better- as far as job prospects and reputation do you think the rankings matter enough for me to seriously consider BC or Emory over Fordham?
Rankings are meaningless at these schools - they're all peer schools, each with an emphasis on a different region. Go to the one that is the best fit, is the cheapest, and places the best in the region you want to work in. If the answer to those three questions diverge, then you'll have a tough choice to make, but whatever you do, don't go by rankings between these schools.

Also, Fordham and Emory are tied at 30.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Employment prospects generally (and probably in DC) go like this: BC > Fordham >> Emory.
Employment prospects in NYC, specifically, go more like: Fordham > BC >> Emory.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:12 pm

If you could see yourself living in Boston at all, I would go to BC. Otherwise, Fordham.

ELS2010

New

Post by ELS2010 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 am

Attorney wrote:Employment prospects generally (and probably in DC) go like this: BC > Fordham >> Emory.
Employment prospects in NYC, specifically, go more like: Fordham > BC >> Emory.
That's absurd.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:19 am

What makes it absurd? It does seem really simplistic though. Law school selection is rarely formulaic, especially with regard to employment prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Metaread wrote:What makes it absurd? It does seem really simplistic though. Law school selection is rarely formulaic, especially with regard to employment prospects.
True... really it all depends on what one wants to do and where they want to do it.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Metaread wrote:What makes it absurd? It does seem really simplistic though. Law school selection is rarely formulaic, especially with regard to employment prospects.
absurd in that the "xx > xx >> xx" graph is based completely off of TLS "wisdom" and not on reality

DC: # of lawyers
Emory - 375
Fordham - 326
BU - 742

Martindale shows BU ahead by a wide margin, with Emory slightly ahead of Fordham
The DC market is notoriously hard to break into, though, and I would think long and hard before committing to any of these schools if your goal is to get there

ls24

New

Post by ls24 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:59 pm

f0bolous wrote:
absurd in that the "xx > xx >> xx" graph is based completely off of TLS "wisdom" and not on reality

Emory - 375
Fordham - 326
BU - 742

Martindale shows BU ahead by a wide margin, with Emory slightly ahead of Fordham
The DC market is notoriously hard to break into, though, and I would think long and hard before committing to any of these schools if your goal is to get there

Where did you get the DC # of lawyers from? I got into BC not BU by the way.. I'm not the waitlist at BU :/

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:04 pm

ls24 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Emory - 375
Fordham - 326
BU - 742

Where did you get the DC # of lawyers from? I got into BC not BU by the way.. I'm not the waitlist at BU :/
I'll trade you my BU for your BC

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 am

ls24 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Emory - 375
Fordham - 326
BU - 742

Martindale

BC is at 476
which really goes to show how much crap gets passed around as fact on tls

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 am

f0bolous wrote:
ls24 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Emory - 375
Fordham - 326
BU - 742

Martindale

BC is at 476
which really goes to show how much crap gets passed around as fact on tls
Where on Martindale? I'm new to the site and don't know my way around it too well... or are those numbers just from data mining all the firms in the directory?

Also - As far as a prospects and the actual ability to get a job in DC if one wants go, I think there is truth in Fordham >> Emory. Fordham just has a much more desirable home market so many more self-select to stay in NYC whereas Emory grads are more anxious to get out of GA, therefore it is more competitive to actually get those DC jobs.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:11 am

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers- ... Firms.aspx
just do a search on attorneys by school in DC

Although I disagree with your assessment, the fact is that none of these schools place well in DC, and if DC is the target market, I would think long and hard before committing to any of these schools.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:34 pm

f0bolous wrote:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers- ... Firms.aspx
just do a search on attorneys by school in DC

Although I disagree with your assessment, the fact is that none of these schools place well in DC, and if DC is the target market, I would think long and hard before committing to any of these schools.
Thanks.

And the second part is true, none of these schools would be a good choice for someone who is DC or bust. Even GW and GULC grads are having a tough time in the DC market right now. But OP seems pretty open minded to living somewhere else (which is most likely going to happen). Don't be afraid to branch out and leave the nest when it comes to launching a successful career. If you have the time and money then visit Boston and Atlanta to see how you like the cities and determine whether or not you would be satisfied spending the next 5-10 years there. I personally would pick Fordham, it has the strongest market overall, it's still fairly close to DC, and would probably give you the greatest overall opportunities which would at least allow you to later lateral to DC if you don't get it right out of the gate. Plus NYC is just awesome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:41 pm

That's a pretty lofty goal. Do you have a backup plan or any preference as to your fallback? The answer here matters a fair amount, as none of these schools offer rosy odds of achieving your stated goal (BigLaw or government) at the moment.

For what it's worth, you mentioned that you're pretty sure you wouldn't want to live in Boston or Atlanta. That means you should either go to Fordham or find something else to do--neither BC nor Emory can reliably offer you the kind of mobility you're looking for.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Schools are different sizes, and some of the lawyers you are finding on martindale are single practices that don't/won't really matter.

If what you want is biglaw, use the NLJ250 stats (http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1) and use your geographic preferences.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”