Too many schools, too little time Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is the best choice?

Indiana (60k)
1%
Minnesota (75k)
2%
Illinois (90k)
No votes
UT-Austin (100k)
15%
Duke (200k)
7%
NYU (200k)
60%
Reapply
11%
Hold out for one of the other schools.
4%

Total votes: 85

waitlisteddd

New

Too many schools, too little time

Post by waitlisteddd » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Listed above are schools that are still in the running along with the three year COA.
I haven't heard about schollys at Duke or NYU, but I doubt I will get much.
I am also WL at Mich and UVa, and waiting to hear back from BU, Chicago, and Cornell.

I am looking to go into IP as my UG is in engineering, but I am also interested in environmental law. My main motivation behind choosing a school was initially going to a school that had strong programs in both of these areas of law.

I have no debt from UG, but since I am going straight to law school, enormous debt is scary because I have never had the opportunity to save $.

I have no location preferences, but I think NYC is slightly intimidating and the SO wants to be in North Carolina.

I also applied late this cycle (january) and am considering reapplying next cycle so I will have time to save money and possibly have a better shot at scholly $.

Any input, whether through the poll or comments, would be incredibly helpful!

Teoeo

Silver

Re: Too many schools, too little time

Post by Teoeo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:40 pm

NYU....

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:41 pm

NYU

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:46 pm

UT, but only if you're ok with working in Texas.

Edit: Also, get rid of the three Midwestern schools and Duke.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:08 pm

I think this comes down to NYU and UT unless Duke ends up offering you money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Duke will likely offer you around 54-72k over three years... but NYU unless you're seriously debt-averse.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

People on this board don't read very well. If your SO wants to be in North Carolina and you do too, go to Duke. As for the UT people...it is not a national school. just sayin.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:21 pm

tallboone wrote:People on this board don't read very well. If your SO wants to be in North Carolina and you do too, go to Duke. As for the UT people...it is not a national school. just sayin.
+1 but only if OP gets money... SO is not enough to justify Duke at sticker in my book... unless there are other financial considerations that may be taken into account (i.e., shared living could save money equal to small scholarship, etc.). But the heart will have what it will.

carrier

New

Post by carrier » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:36 pm

You're young and you have a degree that can earn you some decent money right now. Waiting a year isn't a big deal; if you applied in January and have these options they will only be better next cycle if you apply October 1. The cost of applying again is less than pennies in the grand scheme here.

Working in engineering/enviro science will only help you down the road in those more technical fields of law. It's probably too late to get into a leadership program (from GE, J&J, etc) that will get you into an engineering masters program right away, but there are corporations that will foot the bill for one. If you work 2-3 years and get a technical Master's and then reapply, you'll be in better shape as a law school applicant and in markedly better shape as a lawyer in IP or enviro. The top IP attorneys have work and/or grad school experience in highly technical fields, not just a science degree.

Another idea for next cycle is to apply to GWU's early decision full scholarship program (possibly called Presidential Scholarship? I forget). Best-ranked IP program on the East Coast and probably has good connections in the NC Triangle area. Duke of course also makes a lot of sense for NC, but you have a better chance at $$$ from GWU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:39 pm

tallboone wrote:People on this board don't read very well. If your SO wants to be in North Carolina and you do too, go to Duke. As for the UT people...it is not a national school. just sayin.
I'm assuming that "wants to be in North Carolina" means "wants to be in North Carolina post-law school," in which case Duke would still be a poor choice over NYU. Also not sure why UT needs to be a national school to be relevant. The main distinction here is great school with a lot of debt vs. good school with much less debt.

If the OP doesn't have ties to NC, Charlotte (or Raleigh, or anywhere else in NC) is going to be very tough regardless of school. And since the OP hasn't expressed any other location preferences, I'm not sure what you're trying to argue.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:50 pm

I'd go to NYU, unless Duke offers something like 90k, in which case I'd probably go to Duke, especially if you'd like to end up in North Carolina.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Suprised no one here mentioned the JD/MSEE at duke (along with the other dual degree options they have) OP what engineering specifically? If its petro or something that may make my point moot. Also, don't be so debt averse, IP makes the risk of LS a lot less than it otherwise would be. (unless you majored in IE, but still coming from NYU would be bank)

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:16 pm

And some people on this board don't think very well.
First, it is very sweet that someone considers their SO when applying to law schools, but I would not take on $200k debt for Duke when I could do the same for NYU for anyone. Is the SO going to be paying the debt back? No, the OP is.
Second, there aren't very many jobs in NC that would allow the OP to pay his $200k debt back if he stayed, making her preference of living there post-law school irrelevant.
Third, I agree that UT isn't a national school. UT being regarded as a national school has absolutely nothing to do with this. Your anti-UT trolling is both unnecessary and unwarranted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:17 pm

I know it's not super highly ranked, but why didn't you apply to Carolina if you want to be in NC? They're wonderful with PI and you'd probably have gotten a full ride.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Duke with money, hopefully. I might just wait a year and reapply to Duke on the first day of applications, hope for some more money.

chicubs88

New

Post by chicubs88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:29 pm

If you are willing/able to wait a year I would suggest reapplying earlier next year. With your numbers you should have little trouble getting a full-tuition offer from at least one, if not all, of the three Big Ten schools you listed (IL, IU, MN), and its possible you could get more out of the other schools listed. Keep in mind as well that despite the gloom and doom attitude some people may express on here when discussing where your degree can place you geographically, you can still end up in NC no matter which school you choose, some will just get you there much quicker with less effort(i.e. Duke).

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 pm

innernetp wrote:I know it's not super highly ranked, but why didn't you apply to Carolina if you want to be in NC? They're wonderful with PI and you'd probably have gotten a full ride.
Honestly, I think this might be TCR if you both want to stay in NC. Duke is not going to do you any favors with local employers (other than possible networking events); minimal (or no) debt at a very good regional school combined with your IP-eligibility could just be the way to go if you're looking to stay in NC long-term.

Of course, you might not win many (/any) basketball games against your superior in-state rival, but that's just something that comes with the territory. (Go Devils).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

waitlisteddd

New

Post by waitlisteddd » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:05 pm

location really isn't all that important.

it is more of a NC is warm, but i'm not specifically looking to live there long-term.

also, i am from the midwest, so although many people disregard the midwest, i actually enjoy it! :)

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:17 pm

waitlisteddd wrote:I have no location preferences, but I think NYC is slightly intimidating and the SO wants to be in North Carolina.
NYC isn't intimidating once you've been there a month. You'll love it. Choose NYU.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:57 pm

If you like the midwest, why not reapply and try Chicago, Northwestern, Michigan?

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:03 pm

If you want to be in the south go to Duke!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ashleyre

New

Post by ashleyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Out of curiosity, why do you all seem to regard NYU so much more highly than Duke?? (minus the fact that living in NYC is clearly better than living in Durham)

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:46 pm

ashleyre wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you all seem to regard NYU so much more highly than Duke?? (minus the fact that living in NYC is clearly better than living in Durham)
Better placement in basically all fields and all regions.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Attorney wrote:
waitlisteddd wrote:I have no location preferences, but I think NYC is slightly intimidating and the SO wants to be in North Carolina.
NYC isn't intimidating once you've been there a month. You'll love it. Choose NYU.
Ya, NYC is a little intimidating, then after awhile you realize everywhere else is just boring. :)

ashleyre

New

Post by ashleyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:54 pm

ahduth wrote:
ashleyre wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you all seem to regard NYU so much more highly than Duke?? (minus the fact that living in NYC is clearly better than living in Durham)
Better placement in basically all fields and all regions.
Is it really THAT much better though? Or is the difference really minimal?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”