Loyola vs WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stolli

New

Loyola vs WUSTL

Post by stolli » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:37 am

so I got no money from Loyola, and 70k from WUSTL. However, i want to eventually work in LA. I hear WUSTL doesnt carry much recognition on the west coast, but its ranked significantly higher then loyola and is giving me some money. Thoughts?

RockyIII

Bronze

Re: Loyola vs WUSTL

Post by RockyIII » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 am

Try negotiating with Loyola? Neither of those are great options for LA.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Could you deal with the midwest? If so, go to WUSTL. If not, retake and get into USC or UCLA.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 pm

rebexness wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Could you deal with the midwest? If so, go to WUSTL. If not, retake and get into USC or UCLA.
TITCR

Also, I'm guessing you are a splitter?
I've been reading this forum since the Fall and have been a member since February, but I still have no idea what TITCR means, even though I always randomly see it lol. So what does it mean so that I'm not out of the loop anymore?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:14 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
rebexness wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Could you deal with the midwest? If so, go to WUSTL. If not, retake and get into USC or UCLA.
TITCR

Also, I'm guessing you are a splitter?
I've been reading this forum since the Fall and have been a member since February, but I still have no idea what TITCR means, even though I always randomly see it lol. So what does it mean so that I'm not out of the loop anymore?
This is the credited response.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Clearly OP already has a high LSAT otherwise he wouldn't have gotten $$ at WUSTL so not sure retake is TCR here. Try to get $ at Loyola otherwise you have a very hard and personal choice ahead of you. If you have an unwavering dedication to LA, I would prolly go Loyola unless you have connections that can get you back from StL.

stolli

New

Post by stolli » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 am

i am a splitter...3.0 GPA 169 LSAT....

what about non-biglaw jobs...would i have a heard time coming back to California if im just looking for a regular placement?

Thanks for the response!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:49 am

stolli wrote:i am a splitter...3.0 GPA 169 LSAT....

what about non-biglaw jobs...would i have a heard time coming back to California if im just looking for a regular placement?

Thanks for the response!
Lot of west coast kids at WUSTL. Maybe look at the regional placement numbers for the school? If nothing else, that 70k (tuition's a tad bit lower at Loyola, but cost of living is lower in St. Louis and will make up at least some of the difference) will give you more flexibility as to what type of job you can reasonably take while still servicing your loans after graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 am

Thanks for the response!
Yes it will be hard.

It won't be impossible, but it won't be as assured as working in CA from Loyola. If you go to WUSTL, you should be okay with the possibility that you do end up in the midwest.

Retake/reapply seems like a better option considering 1 point higher could net you something like UVa/NU/GULC (assuming work exp for NU) or any of the other splitter friendly schools.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 am

Don't go to WUSTL if you want to practice in LA. I would reapply and apply to all the top 30 Cali schools.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:48 am

OP I am in the exact same situation as you, except I got decent $$ to Loyola (I have a higher GPA, same LSAT). You're not getting into USC/UCLA w/ that GPA. You would be very lucky to get Hastings or Davis. I'm WL at Hastings and pending at Daivs, but not feeling too optimistic (obvi).

You have a few options. You can either take Loyola/USD/Pepperdine/Santa Clara and sacrifice a decently ranked school, OR you can try and WUSTL your way back West via summer SA positions, etc. Won't be easy, though.

The only way I see a retake helping is (like above poster pointed out) if you can get into a T14 school like NU. Won't be on West coast, but will have more national mobility than WUSTL and moving back West becomes more feasible.

I'm not retaking...will either take a lower ranked school out West or a higher ranked school somewhere else, but that's just me. GL.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:50 am

Have you toured WUSTL? Maybe worth a last minute trip before the deposit deadline.

WUSTL has a very good rep.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stolli

New

Post by stolli » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:24 pm

Reapplying is really not an option for me - its now or never

i think im going to try to negotiate with loyola for some money...if not..then take my chances at WUSTL and try to finish in the top 10%. I feel like the difference in ranking (and money) overshadows the fact that it doesnt place in LA....i dunno:/

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm

stolli wrote:Reapplying is really not an option for me - its now or never

i think im going to try to negotiate with loyola for some money...if not..then take my chances at WUSTL and try to finish in the top 10%. I feel like the difference in ranking (and money) overshadows the fact that it doesnt place in LA....i dunno:/
This sounds like a solid plan. I don't think you can go wrong with a relatively inexpensive education from WUSTL. Also, just as an aside, I believe if you do well and make it your mission to get back to LA, it will happen. My cousin graduated from GW a few years back, and she made it home to LA. I get the feeling GW, for whatever reason, is slightly more national in reach, but I bet you can make it happen from WUSTL too. You have ties to the region already.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:09 pm

lol @ all the splitters settling for WUSTL who actually want to be on the coasts. We can all sit around at WUSTL and talk about how we wish we were in LA/SF/NY/Seattle/wherever.

On a serious note, maybe our determination to end up on the coasts (and our hopeful success at doing so) will turn WUSTL into a more national school.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:55 am

A baller is a baller, regardless of school. If you are a baller, you will succeed at Loyola. If not, you are going to have problems at either school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Danteshek wrote:A baller is a baller, regardless of school. If you are a baller, you will succeed at Loyola. If not, you are going to have problems at either school.
fo sho mo fo

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Danteshek wrote:A baller is a baller, regardless of school. If you are a baller, you will succeed at Loyola. If not, you are going to have problems at either school.
You never fail to offer exceedingly bad advice.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Never, ever pay sticker for Loyola.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

bk187 wrote:

Thanks for the response!
Yes it will be hard.

It won't be impossible, but it won't be as assured as working in CA from Loyola. If you go to WUSTL, you should be okay with the possibility that you do end up in the midwest.

Retake/reapply seems like a better option considering 1 point higher could net you something like UVa/NU/GULC (assuming work exp for NU) or any of the other splitter friendly schools.

When NU says its incoming class has WE, do they mean any kind of work or a specific sector? I've been working in a kitchen past four years.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 pm

nshapkar wrote:When NU says its incoming class has WE, do they mean any kind of work or a specific sector? I've been working in a kitchen past four years.
They generally mean full time post graduate work. Some people think that it applies to office jobs (even entry level) or management blue collar positions, making the argument that something like Starbucks barista may not cut it. I'm not so sure about that. They prefer 2+ (though they let in a chunk of 1 year work exp).

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:35 pm

Attorney wrote:Never, ever pay sticker for Loyola.
Says a 0L from Sidney, Australia.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Attorney wrote:Never, ever pay sticker for Loyola.
Says a 0L from Sidney, Australia.
I bet many of the current students on TLS would say the same thing, but nice ad hom.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Lots of unemployed Loyola grads in LA. Wustl is the better option given cost and overall quality of institution. Despite what some TLSers will tell you, you can make it back West with a degree from a strong regional school not in California (the Wustl, BU, GW, ND types). This is especially true if you are willing to work in the school's home market for a couple of years before coming back West. This will require you to take & pass multiple bar exams of course, but admission to multiple state bars is an asset in the long run. Do yourself a favor and take the $ at Wustl.

Also, yes USC and UCLA would be better options. Davis/Hastings might be better as well. But you aren't getting in to SC/UCLA with your numbers and your other Cali options come with significantly higher cost of attendance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”