Is Widener really that bad?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johnnysweet

New

Is Widener really that bad??

Post by johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:13 pm

So if you guys check out my other posts you can see...
Im 30, I have a 157 lsat, 2.76 gpa, and around 10 arrests (all more than 6 year ago, none serious offenses)

What I want to know is...
Is Widener really that BAD???
I know, especially at this age that I can work hard and I am a fast learner. If I come out of law school making 50k then I will be way ahead of where I am now.
I am very interested in getting involved in State Govt. in Harrisburg and my cousin works closely with the governer.
So should I go?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: Is Widener really that bad??

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:16 pm

1. Sure Widener is a great deal, especially for corporate law in Delaware!
2. No, I was just kidding. It isn't.
3. Are you going for free?
4. I'm not familiar with how much Widener charges, but more than $50,000 in debt for a degree from there is absolutely too much.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:18 pm

It might not be a bad investment, but a lot of debt would be bad if your 10 arrests meant you couldnt pass the C&F requirement for the bar.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:20 pm

With 10 arrests you'd be insanely lucky to pass the bar. On top of giving away 3 years of life to law school you better be damn sure you're going for free.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:21 pm

have you considered a life of crime?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Widener is really that bad man. I really don't know what about half their graduating class does each year.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 pm

fatduck wrote:have you considered a life of crime?
10 arrests? He doesn't appear to be very good at it.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:29 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:With 10 arrests you'd be insanely lucky to pass the bar.
TITCR
rinkrat19 wrote:
fatduck wrote:have you considered a life of crime?
10 arrests? He doesn't appear to be very good at it.
:lol: :lol:

johnnysweet

New

Post by johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Iwas just stupid when I was young, fell in with the wrong crowd, etc.
Nothing really bad or violent or anything, just a lot of stupid things. Mainly retail theft as a minor, a pot possession, a DUI(expunged), a public drunkeness that (dropped), 2 escape charges (both dropped), and a couple underage drinking and disorderly conducts.
I've been working in manual labor my whole life and just always wanted to do something different. I know at least in college i had a talent for law, as i was one of the best in my higher level law classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johnnysweet

New

Post by johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 pm

i make about 30k now, the most i can hope to make with my company in the next 10 years is around 40k. so if i can graduate law school making 40k and going up then I am ahead of the game. I am used to living poor and for me I would rather live poor and work in a law office then live poor and bust my ass everyday out in the cold.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:18 pm

I wouldn't go there at sticker...better to go to paralegal school man to be honest.

johnnysweet

New

Post by johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:27 pm

well... I don't think i would be paying sticker, but I haven't heard anything back yet
My undergrad school has a guaranteed acceptance program with them so I know I'll get in its just a matter of how much $$$

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Well depending on the money it's worth it---plus all the easy girls I know who went to LS went there. It does have a horribly strict grading curve.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Hmm there is this to consider:

http://law.widener.edu/About/TobaccoFreePolicy.aspx

I read on an advertisement that 97% of their graduates are employed after 9 months but IDK what kind of employment that is.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 am

AreJay711 wrote:Hmm there is this to consider:

I read on an advertisement that 97% of their graduates are employed after 9 months but IDK what kind of employment that is.
Pretty much all schools report 95-100% employment at 9 months. The problem is that 9 months after graduation, the students who didn't get good legal jobs have gotten desperate enough to take a job at McDonalds to pay the rent. Ta da, employment!

This thread has a graphic breakdown of employment by categories for the T80, plus a few notorious TTTT schools. Consider that Widener is likely to be on a par with Florida Coastal, Nova, Cooley et al, and significantly worse than the (already not great) numbers from the bottom of the T80.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... yment+data

And that's 2009 data. Employment went down pretty much across the board for 2010.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:53 am

AreJay711 wrote:Hmm there is this to consider:

This alone would make me not attend this school. (Well, first the fact that it is a T4 shithole. Then, this bullshit policy.)

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:57 am

The graphs are nice but the author changes the way data is represented for the lower ranked schools. He provides a thorough breakdown for the higher ranked schools but includes categories like additional education and public employment with unemployment for the lower schools. This makes them look significantly worse than they actually are (though they are by no means impressive.)

It's somewhat interesting to see Cooley be one of the better "terrible" TTTT's :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:58 am

WUSTL is tobacco free as well. I actually thought this was an up and coming trend for universities...
http://www.wustl.edu/announcements/tobaccofree/

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:39 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:WUSTL is tobacco free as well. I actually thought this was an up and coming trend for universities...
Yeah, it is but it is seriously enough to make me not go to a school that I otherwise would have and I'm not even a regular smoker. You can't even dip with some of them. Fuck that noise.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Of the people who show up at Widener on the first day of classes, fewer than 40% will get a legal job. The rest either don't graduate or graduate into unemployment or "business" employment which is often drudgery having nothing to do with law.

That fact, combined with your past troubles, makes it a poor choice.

You're obviously an enterprising guy. Start your own business and hustle. The rest of us will end up working for you.

emjay

New

Post by emjay » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:15 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:WUSTL is tobacco free as well. I actually thought this was an up and coming trend for universities...
I'm currently trying to decide on a law school. WUSTL was one of my options. It's not anymore.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:21 pm

yeah, i was there visiting...lit up a cigarette before I knew, nobody said anything, but I was thinking jesus christ, nobody smokes in ST. Louis...i also found it ridiculous how I couldn't find a place to give me matches (in Indiana and Illinois too)

wideners campus is much smaller, so it should be easier to step off the property...

both of these rules seem toothless though, for it doesn't state anywhere what the penalty is for smoking...but it is always nice to see a school of law take away the right to choose to smoke

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:25 pm

seriously???? wrote:
yeah, i was there visiting...lit up a cigarette before I knew, nobody said anything, but I was thinking jesus christ, nobody smokes in ST. Louis...i also found it ridiculous how I couldn't find a place to give me matches (in Indiana and Illinois too)

wideners campus is much smaller, so it should be easier to step off the property...

both of these rules seem toothless though, for it doesn't state anywhere what the penalty is for smoking...but it is always nice to see a school of law take away the right to choose to smoke
At my undergrad it is a $75 fine but they can only fine people with university accounts. I actually have found that smoking is very regional though.

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm

and I do think 40% getting legal work might be exaggerated. up to 30% do fail out first year...it is harsh, but then again, it does make some sense...widener accepts half of its class with an lsat under 152 (plenty people scoring in the 140's), with not even good gpas. sure, some people are lousy at standardized tests and may do much better in law school, but others really can't handle the academics. as one widener alum put it to me, the 30% who get kicked out are the ones who don't belong there in the first place...

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

emjay wrote:
I'm currently trying to decide on a law school. WUSTL was one of my options. It's not anymore.
I'm not a smoker, but do believe in freedom, especially the freedom to do what you'd like in your own car. "Smoking also is prohibited inside vehicles parked in campus parking lots." What's next, no masturbation on WUSTL grounds? Are hamburgers allowed?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”