STCL vs Miami - Texas resident Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

South Texas
67%
University of Miami
33%

Total votes: 3

Kyllo

New

STCL vs Miami - Texas resident

Post by Kyllo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:20 pm

My husband and I are having trouble deciding which school is a better choice when weighing the pros and cons of each law school. He plans on eventually practicing in Texas. Feedback as well as a vote is greatly appreciated. Regardless of which school he choses, he hopes to transfer but we understand that that may not be a possibility so which school do you think will have the best return?

So here are the main pros and cons:
STCL is less expensive but not ranked. His goal would be to transfer to a ranked school but if that doesn't happen, is STCL strong enough to hold its weight here in Texas.

Miami - way more expensive but already a ranked school so if he is unable to transfer, he still has a degree from a ranked school. But Florida's job market isn't as good.

Edit: I ask that people refrain from the advice of retake. This is not an option. I am only looking for feedback on these two schools. Thanks. =)
Last edited by Kyllo on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Re: STCL vs Miami - Texas resident

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:23 pm

He needs to retake and improve his LSAT score as opposed to aiming to transfer.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:He needs to retake and improve his LSAT score as opposed to aiming to transfer.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:14 pm

I assume we're talking sticker, so "neither, study his ass off, retake" is TCR. Since that probably isn't the answer you are looking for or will follow, if you want to look at things alot more optimistically (some would say naively), South Texas is a no brainer between these two options. It's going to be extraordinarily difficult to find a good job from either school right now, but South Texas is at least quite a bit cheaper. Also, since you're from Texas it won't be as big of a deal if after a semester you guys want to take a mulligan on the dream of being a lawyer. If after the first semester he pwns then great. If he doesn't, then pulling the plug on the idea won't be as big of a deal. I'm also curious why Texas Tech isn't an option. It's not going to give great options either, but it's relatively reasonably priced in the perverse world of law school tuition.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Ranked means absolutely nothing when youre talking about Miami.

A Miami law degree wont give you many opportunties outside of South Florida. Even then, those opportunities are very limited since South Florida, and Florida as a whole, isnt exactly a large legal mecca.

If you must, go to South Texas. However, the standard "retake" advice applies here.

Good luck.

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Even though South Texas is a fourth-tier school, it's reputation in Houston is (from what I've gathered) better than that. Also, while I generally like the vibe from Houston, it's not everyone's cup of tea -- and if you go to STCL, just realize that you'll be settling in Houston for the forseeable future. Never assume transferring or finding a job elsewhere right off the bat.

Still, as I said, if he works hard I think he'll be OK -- there's a big alumni network in the city. They also have a good trial ad program if he's into that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”