. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
glewz

Silver

Re: Choosing a School for California? (CLS v. Mich v. UCLA)

Post by glewz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:57 pm

tallboone wrote:The fact that you want to do N. Cal. seals the deal for Columbia or Michigan. If you wanted to be in LA, UCLA could make a stronger argument. But the Bay Area market is already flooded (Stanford, Boalt, Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, etc. all place better in N. Cal. than UCLA).
+1

Andrzej

New

Post by Andrzej » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:57 pm

yes believe that is correct.

michigan_man

New

Post by michigan_man » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:05 pm

tallboone wrote:The fact that you want to do N. Cal. seals the deal for Columbia or Michigan. If you wanted to be in LA, UCLA could make a stronger argument. But the Bay Area market is already flooded (Stanford, Boalt, Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, etc. all place better in N. Cal. than UCLA).

I understand wanting to do biglaw to pay down debt. But if you really have a calling to be a prosecutor or to do other public interest work, Columbia and Michigan have great LRAP programs (MUCH better than UCLA). If you found that you did well enough at Columbia or Michigan and could get an Art. III clerkship or a DOJ Honors position, it would be silly to pass those up to do biglaw for a few years just to pay down debt. Both Columbia and Michigan have good enough LRAPs to justify taking the less lucrative job that you love.
Another big problem with UCLA is the fact that it weds you to the CA market pretty exclusively. California's economy being what it is, you would be better off with non-CA options in case OCI didn't work out with the CA firms.

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:17 pm

Have you attended admitted students' weekends? Between Columbia and Mich I'm not sure there's a wrong choice (would not really pick UCLA because of poorer placement in SF and because the price difference is weirdly not that large) so imo it would be down to fit.

Also, I'm originally from CA and have some leanings towards going to NorCal, and I noticed at the Mich ASW there was a pretty significant chunk of current students from California and from what they said to me, they had no difficulty working the Michigan alumni network and name in California in getting jobs for 1L and 2L summers. You still have to have ties to break into SF, which I would gather is true almost regardless of where you go, but I was pleasantly surprised at the reach. Apparently, Dean Z also personally wrote letters to alums for students wanting to be in that region as well.

*edit* I also want you to attend Michigan because your 'tar is amazing.

camelcrema

Bronze

Post by camelcrema » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:40 pm

TheStrand wrote:Have you attended admitted students' weekends? Between Columbia and Mich I'm not sure there's a wrong choice (would not really pick UCLA because of poorer placement in SF and because the price difference is weirdly not that large) so imo it would be down to fit.

Also, I'm originally from CA and have some leanings towards going to NorCal, and I noticed at the Mich ASW there was a pretty significant chunk of current students from California and from what they said to me, they had no difficulty working the Michigan alumni network and name in California in getting jobs for 1L and 2L summers. You still have to have ties to break into SF, which I would gather is true almost regardless of where you go, but I was pleasantly surprised at the reach. Apparently, Dean Z also personally wrote letters to alums for students wanting to be in that region as well.

*edit* I also want you to attend Michigan because your 'tar is amazing.

Yea, I visited Columbia for ASW I, and I'll be at Michigan's ASW II. Both schools seem to have a sizable chunk of the student body interested in working in California, and the consensus seems to be that with a 54k scholly at Mich, the difference comes down to which school I like better. Does that seem about right?

Edit: I appreciate the comments alot :mrgreen:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S ... /ALOT4.png

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Haha my eye twitched at your edit until it hit me. That picture is pure win. Please come?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:27 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
kwais wrote:I'm not necessarily disagreeing with those who are debt averse, but, let's say the 74k turns into 100k with interest. In a 20 year career, are you really saying that you wouldn't pay 5k a year to give yourself a better shot at the career you want? This seems incredibly foolish. Not to say that job options aren't awesome out of Mich. But how much do you expect to make over your career? 1mil, 2mil? Is 74k really a dealbreaker?
lol you're joking with this line of logic right?

that being said, i think UCLA may be the wrong answer here (even more surprised it'd cost you that much still...if not NorCal, id say negotiate for better scholarship $$)...CLS vs. Mich +$$ is the real question...general stats of how many CLS vs. Mich students place in Cali (or even NorCal) seems to be an easy way to know which is better...i dont see too much of a reason for selection-bias being greater at one school over another per se (relatively speaking)...

if Mich is just a little behind CLS, then i vote for the $74K Mich. if the gap is kinda large, go CLS :P
because you have a different take on the situation, I must be joking? um...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”