Debt not an Issue - Go to highest ranked school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What to do?

Go to highest ranked school I get into - pay sticker, graduate with no debt/possibly some leftover
51%
Go to lower ranked school with $$ - graduate with some leftover
6%
Aim for T14 JD/MBA - graduate debt free with two degrees
28%
Take the $ and run - do something better with the money besides Law school
16%

Total votes: 83

Magnolia

Silver

Re: $$$ Not an Issue - Go to highest ranked school?

Post by Magnolia » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm

ElmoHope wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just because you have money doesn't mean money shouldn't be an issue. Unless you have so much money that 250K isn't worth a though. In that case why are you trying to be a lawyer anyway?

But with a 171ish/3.15ish you aren't going to get amazing schollies.
I don't really understand why you're saying this. When did I say money isn't an issue? It clearly is an issue and thats why I'm seeking advice about what to do with it.
Isn't the title of this thread "$$$ Not an Issue"? Kinda implies that you think money is, ya know, not an issue.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm

If debt was not an issue for me

Go to Princeton MSF --> Goldman 5-8yrs --> start hedge fund --> Buy large Yacht name it F^&k BIG LAW

or

Go to LA work for free for casting director (assuming you did well in UG) --> william morris/CAA mail room(sh&t salary) --> agent --> buy big yacht name it Famous Lays

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm

ED to UVA, enjoy softball for 3 years, get job with 10-4 MIDRICHMONDLAW.

There is no foreseeable problem with this plan of attack.

ElmoHope

New

Post by ElmoHope » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Magnolia wrote:
ElmoHope wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just because you have money doesn't mean money shouldn't be an issue. Unless you have so much money that 250K isn't worth a though. In that case why are you trying to be a lawyer anyway?

But with a 171ish/3.15ish you aren't going to get amazing schollies.
I don't really understand why you're saying this. When did I say money isn't an issue? It clearly is an issue and thats why I'm seeking advice about what to do with it.
Isn't the title of this thread "$$$ Not an Issue"? Kinda implies that you think money is, ya know, not an issue.
Fair enough, but what that should say (and what comes through if you read my original post) is that DEBT is not (necessarily) an issue. I will change that.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 pm

ElmoHope wrote:
ahduth wrote:As far as the JD/MBA goes, people say it's a bad idea, because it shows a lack of commitment to the law. Firms look at you and say, why did you get this degree? That being said, if you're going into M&A or something along those lines, it could very possibly be an asset. Just make sure you have your story straight before you interview.

I'll admit that it definitely raises the question in my mind. What type of work experience do you have? If the whole profile paints you as a flight risk, the MBA may very well not be worth it.
Yea, i've heard this, and I guess it makes sense. But then why do some firms offer hiring bonuses for JD/MBAs? It can't JUST be for M&A. See, my reasoning for being interested is just because I was a social sciences major at a liberal arts college, i've had very little exposure to economics/business, and I want to broaden my knowledge/abilities. I'm not trying to go into academia, so can't an MBA only enhance my resume in the eyes of BigLaw and maybe eventually In house counsels?
I mean, I'd look at it funny. I guess it depends on the firm. When I think big law, I think people who are looking to become slaves to the firm, working 80 hours a week doing whatever god awful paperwork our clients have assigned to us. I don't see independent thought as being an asset in that scenario most of the time. Particularly, law firms aren't trying to help train you to become a GC. If you said anything about going in-house during my interview, I'd probably just show you the door right there.

I could be entirely wrong here, however, and the MBA might actually position you to avoid exactly those slave-driving types of firms. I think as long as your background is more JD than MBA (make law review, don't do an internship at a bank or anything) it's not going to kill you. I'd just make sure the extra time is worth it to you personally, because I'm not convinced it particularly helps you land a legal job out of school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”