SEATTLE UNIVERSITY VS CAL WESTERN; US NEWS RANK VS LOCATION Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Seattle vs Cal Western

Seattle
76%
California Western
24%

Total votes: 17

wizard

New

SEATTLE UNIVERSITY VS CAL WESTERN; US NEWS RANK VS LOCATION

Post by wizard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 am

Here is my dilemma:

153 LSAT 3.0 GPA

Accepted at Seattle University part-time (US news rank 83), program starts in June

Accepted to Cal western, no money but I don't care because of IBR and loan forgiveness ( I want to be a PD)

Wait-listed at DU and Chapman, DU is my top choice because I would like to stay in Colorado but I wouldn't mind practicing in San Diego or Orange County. I would hate living in Seattle and would take the bar in CA or CO upon graduation.

Should I go to Seattle which is ranked high, and forgo the DU and Chapman waitlist,

or

Should I deposit at Cal Western and wait out DU and Chapman???????

I'm going crazy so advice is appreciated

Diamond

Re: SEATTLE UNIVERSITY VS CAL WESTERN; US NEWS RANK VS LOCATION

Post by 20160810 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:49 am

--ImageRemoved--

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:55 am

You need to go to DU. If you don't get in this year, retake and try again.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:57 am

Fair warning: You will get a lot of people telling you to retake, advice I completely agree with when you're stuck with T2 or below at sticker.

That said, ranks matter a whole lot less once you leave the T14(13?). Some concerns you really need to consider:

1. Attrition rates: This is a very good reason to avoid Cal Western like the plague. Leaving dismal employment prospects aside, there's a real possibility you will be forcibly kicked out and left with a nondischargable 50k+ loan

2. PI - I get the sense that you're really underestimating the difficulty to get into PI, which can be just as difficult to crack as Biglaw. Neither of these schools will give you a good chance, but Seattle has an upper hand due to it's location (less competition in Washington) . Which leads to the next point:

3. Location: Sorry to say but neither choice will give you very good chances at securing gainful employment in CA or CO. If you are dead set on going, the better choice would be to go to Seattle and find work there, but if you really want to avoid this, then you really need to consider RETAKING.

wizard

New

Post by wizard » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 pm

bhan87 wrote:Fair warning: You will get a lot of people telling you to retake, advice I completely agree with when you're stuck with T2 or below at sticker.

That said, ranks matter a whole lot less once you leave the T14(13?). Some concerns you really need to consider:

1. Attrition rates: This is a very good reason to avoid Cal Western like the plague. Leaving dismal employment prospects aside, there's a real possibility you will be forcibly kicked out and left with a nondischargable 50k+ loan

2. PI - I get the sense that you're really underestimating the difficulty to get into PI, which can be just as difficult to crack as Biglaw. Neither of these schools will give you a good chance, but Seattle has an upper hand due to it's location (less competition in Washington) . Which leads to the next point:

3. Location: Sorry to say but neither choice will give you very good chances at securing gainful employment in CA or CO. If you are dead set on going, the better choice would be to go to Seattle and find work there, but if you really want to avoid this, then you really need to consider RETAKING.
While I appreciate your feedback which is much more sound and kindly worded than most users on TLS, I would like to give everyone here on TLS some food for thought.

I have a Poli Sci Degree. My options are to A) get a Master's in something and prob be just as unemployable as I currently am, B) get a management job with a retail store or restaurant making 30-35k per year C) join the peace corp or military D) become a teacher or a cop. Becoming a cop would be the best option of all these for me. I would start out making 50,000 per year and would prob make detective eventually and would cap out making around 150k/year plus a pension. Not a bad deal. Even though I am never going to get into a top 50 school, getting into Seattle is not bad for someone who is a high school drop out with a GED, white which scores no points with the adcoms, has a 153 LSAT on the second attempt, has a criminal record.

If I make 50k/year upon graduating from SU and get a job with DA/PD which is my intent then I will be paying 500/month under IBR and my loans will be forgiven after 10 years. I will prob get a 2 percent pay raise each year for 10 years and thus my IBR payment will increase by 2 percent each year. At the end of this time I can either a) stay with the PD/DA and make more money than a cop would make and get a pensions and not get shot at and enjoy my job more OR I can go into private practice with a shit load of connections making 250k per year for the next 25 years which is WAY FUCKING MORE than I would make as a cop. Regardless of what all the inexpereinced haters say on TLS I know making this kind of money as a privte defense attorney is possible and even on the low end for some.

Case in point, I know several t4 grads on the east coast whom I currently work for who routinely charge crack dealers (who pay, albeit with cash) around $5000.00 for a 1 hour motion to suppress on gun and drug charges. I see it go down all day every day. Most of these guys graduated from Widener Law which is like the Walmart of Law schools.

So all you pussies here in TLS that are whining about not being able to get a job and how you shouldn't go to law school if you cant get into the top 20 with a full ride can go fuck yourselves. You are all a bunch of little prison-bitch pussy pieces of shit who have probably had everything handed to you your whole life. If you know how to hustle, if you have any street swagger whatsoever that you can bring with you to your law practice then you will be successful. If on the other hand, you mommy and daddy payed for undergrad, you expect to be handed a job because you "did all the right things, where is my prize" and you are used to getting banana bread care packages from your mommy when you get a B in civ pro, then you should strip naked, tuck you cock between your legs and take a look in the mirror because you are a bitch with a pussy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:31 pm

wizard wrote:
bhan87 wrote:Fair warning: You will get a lot of people telling you to retake, advice I completely agree with when you're stuck with T2 or below at sticker.

While I appreciate your feedback which is much more sound and kindly worded than most users on TLS, I would like to give everyone here on TLS some food for thought.

I have a Poli Sci Degree. My options are to A) get a Master's in something and prob be just as unemployable as I currently am, B) get a management job with a retail store or restaurant making 30-35k per year C) join the peace corp or military D) become a teacher or a cop. Becoming a cop would be the best option of all these for me. I would start out making 50,000 per year and would prob make detective eventually and would cap out making around 150k/year plus a pension. Not a bad deal. Even though I am never going to get into a top 50 school, getting into Seattle is not bad for someone who is a high school drop out with a GED, white which scores no points with the adcoms, has a 153 LSAT on the second attempt, has a criminal record.

If I make 50k/year upon graduating from SU and get a job with DA/PD which is my intent then I will be paying 500/month under IBR and my loans will be forgiven after 10 years. I will prob get a 2 percent pay raise each year for 10 years and thus my IBR payment will increase by 2 percent each year. At the end of this time I can either a) stay with the PD/DA and make more money than a cop would make and get a pensions and not get shot at and enjoy my job more OR I can go into private practice with a shit load of connections making 250k per year for the next 25 years which is WAY FUCKING MORE than I would make as a cop. Regardless of what all the inexpereinced haters say on TLS I know making this kind of money as a privte defense attorney is possible and even on the low end for some.

Case in point, I know several t4 grads on the east coast whom I currently work for who routinely charge crack dealers (who pay, albeit with cash) around $5000.00 for a 1 hour motion to suppress on gun and drug charges. I see it go down all day every day. Most of these guys graduated from Widener Law which is like the Walmart of Law schools.

So all you pussies here in TLS that are whining about not being able to get a job and how you shouldn't go to law school if you cant get into the top 20 with a full ride can go fuck yourselves. You are all a bunch of little prison-bitch pussy pieces of shit who have probably had everything handed to you your whole life. If you know how to hustle, if you have any street swagger whatsoever that you can bring with you to your law practice then you will be successful. If on the other hand, you mommy and daddy payed for undergrad, you expect to be handed a job because you "did all the right things, where is my prize" and you are used to getting banana bread care packages from your mommy when you get a B in civ pro, then you should strip naked, tuck you cock between your legs and take a look in the mirror because you are a bitch with a pussy.
You need a chill pill sir. With your attitude and anger issues, I doubt you'd be a successful cop or lawyer. Actually, outside of becoming a boxer, drug dealer, or road construction worker, I doubt you'd be able to amount to much of anything.

JCDent

New

Post by JCDent » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Oh man that was an awesome post

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:33 pm

--ImageRemoved--

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:53 pm

OP: If that was a portion of your law school application personal statement, then I think I know why you were waitlisted at DU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 pm

wizard wrote: I know several t4 grads on the east coast whom I currently work for who routinely charge crack dealers (who pay, albeit with cash) around $5000.00 for a 1 hour motion to suppress on gun and drug charges. I see it go down all day every day. Most of these guys graduated from Widener Law which is like the Walmart of Law schools.

So all you pussies here in TLS that are whining about not being able to get a job and how you shouldn't go to law school if you cant get into the top 20 with a full ride can go fuck yourselves . You are all a bunch of little prison-bitch pussy pieces of shit who have probably had everything handed to you your whole life. If you know how to hustle, if you have any street swagger whatsoever that you can bring with you to your law practice then you will be successful. If on the other hand, you mommy and daddy payed for undergrad, you expect to be handed a job because you "did all the right things, where is my prize" and you are used to getting banana bread care packages from your mommy when you get a B in civ pro, then you should strip naked, tuck you cock between your legs and take a look in the mirror because you are a bitch with a pussy.
Really sorry about this but I have to:

BIGGHETTOLAW
Last edited by Total Litigator on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:17 pm

OP please, please don't go to any of these schools especially at sticker -- retake and reapply trust me TITCR.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm bumping this thread because it has some amazing stuff in it.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:58 pm

The OP hasn't been back on. He's probably still kicking the shit out of his dog to relieve his anger after his second post on this thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:05 am

Total Litigator wrote:I'm bumping this thread because it has some amazing stuff in it.
I agree -- bump

wizard

New

Post by wizard » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:37 am

bearsfan1 wrote:The OP hasn't been back on. He's probably still kicking the shit out of his dog to relieve his anger after his second post on this thread.

HAHA, I don't really have anger issues I just figured that I should post something here on TLS to counterbalance all of the law school naysayers (pussys). I am inspired by chuck sheen to have my own torando of truth here on TLS.

I have experience working in personal injury and criminal defense so I actually know what the legal market really looks like. The fact is that the ranking of the law school you go to has no bearing on your employment prospects if biglaw is not your goal. You simply need to go to school in the region you want to practice, if possible. If you are personable, outgoing, ambitious and good-looking enough for a jury to like you (ya this matters) then you should have no problem suing the shit out of insurance companies all day on behalf of people who "slip and fell" or sustained "permanent serious injuries." The PI firm I worked for, staffed entirely by Widener Law grads plus one failure of a Villanova grad, settled about 10 cases a day at an average of 30,0000.00 per case. The contingency was 45%.

Also, If representing crack dealer's who pack heat is your bag, you can get on the court appointed counsel list in your local city and meet every scumbag low-life drug dealer in town and this will eventually lead to referrals to the other hoodlums in your town AND since to most people lawyers are jacks of all trade, these people will also call you when they "severely injure" themselves which seems to happen a lot to people who live in drug/crime infested ares.

If you are not a bitch, then this is how you make money as a lawyer in today's economy. You hustle like a crack dealer only you are slinging contingency fee agreements. If you are a bitch, you sit in your mom's basement eating frozen dinners typing furiously on thirdtierreality.com like a little prison-bitch. You think I have issues? you should check out this Jefferey-dommer like psyco's hatred of all law schools in general.

So, If you are too scared to talk to black people or to sue the fuck out of your local municipality on an hourly basis AND you do not go to Yale Law then you should prob go get your masters in art history so you can stay in your room and paint gay things while I count the scrilla I make being an attorney from a T2 or T4 law school while simultaneously screwing uncle sam by using IBR.

This, of course is the route I will be taking if I cannot get a PI gig. This might be my course in life and I have accepted that.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:03 am

wizard wrote: If on the other hand, you mommy and daddy payed for undergrad, you expect to be handed a job because you "did all the right things, where is my prize" and you are used to getting banana bread care packages from your mommy when you get a B in civ pro, then you should strip naked, tuck you cock between your legs and take a look in the mirror because you are a bitch with a pussy.
this is the greatest thing i've ever read

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:10 am

wizard wrote:
While I appreciage your feedback which is much more sound and kindly worded than most users on TLS, I would like to give everyone here on TLS some food for thought.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:16 am

rad law wrote:
wizard wrote:
While I appreciage your feedback which is much more sound and kindly worded than most users on TLS, I would like to give everyone here on TLS some food for thought.

+1. But talk about starting a TLS posting career with a bang! :lol:

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:16 am

wizard wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:The OP hasn't been back on. He's probably still kicking the shit out of his dog to relieve his anger after his second post on this thread.

HAHA, I don't really have anger issues I just figured that I should post something here on TLS to counterbalance all of the law school naysayers (pussys). I am inspired by chuck sheen to have my own torando of truth here on TLS.

I have experience working in personal injury and criminal defense so I actually know what the legal market really looks like. The fact is that the ranking of the law school you go to has no bearing on your employment prospects if biglaw is not your goal. You simply need to go to school in the region you want to practice, if possible. If you are personable, outgoing, ambitious and good-looking enough for a jury to like you (ya this matters) then you should have no problem suing the shit out of insurance companies all day on behalf of people who "slip and fell" or sustained "permanent serious injuries." The PI firm I worked for, staffed entirely by Widener Law grads plus one failure of a Villanova grad, settled about 10 cases a day at an average of 30,0000.00 per case. The contingency was 45%.

Also, If representing crack dealer's who pack heat is your bag, you can get on the court appointed counsel list in your local city and meet every scumbag low-life drug dealer in town and this will eventually lead to referrals to the other hoodlums in your town AND since to most people lawyers are jacks of all trade, these people will also call you when they "severely injure" themselves which seems to happen a lot to people who live in drug/crime infested ares.

If you are not a bitch, then this is how you make money as a lawyer in today's economy. You hustle like a crack dealer only you are slinging contingency fee agreements. If you are a bitch, you sit in your mom's basement eating frozen dinners typing furiously on thirdtierreality.com like a little prison-bitch. You think I have issues? you should check out this Jefferey-dommer like psyco's hatred of all law schools in general.

So, If you are too scared to talk to black people or to sue the fuck out of your local municipality on an hourly basis AND you do not go to Yale Law then you should prob go get your masters in art history so you can stay in your room and paint gay things while I count the scrilla I make being an attorney from a T2 or T4 law school while simultaneously screwing uncle sam by using IBR.

This, of course is the route I will be taking if I cannot get a PI gig. This might be my course in life and I have accepted that.
Aw you don't need an MFA just to do that!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:17 am

If you want Denver OP then I think DU is TCR of the options you mentioned, so hopefully you'll get off the waitlist.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:18 am

Some amazing memes in here BTW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”