NYU v Cornell v BU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU v BU v Cornell

NYU (sticker)
68%
BU (105k)
9%
Cornell (who knows)
24%

Total votes: 34

spacepenguin

Silver

NYU v Cornell v BU

Post by spacepenguin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Hey everyone,
So I come here to seek TLS's sage wisdom in helping me choose which school I'll attend in the fall.

My preference list:

1. Biglaw, Judicial clerkship
2. Debt aversion
3. The option of one day returning to Texas
4. Law school experience (location, social experience,quality of life, weather, bro levels, hipster levels, diversity, unhealthy obsession with Mexican food, etc)

Financial aid:

BU -105K (no stipulations)
NYU - sticker (hypothetical)
Cornell - 0 to 75k (hypothetical)

I'll put up a poll, but I would really appreciate any feedback on the reason you chose the given school. Also, I realize that there is a huge difference between 0 and 75k and I could very well receive something from NYU (however unlikely), so I expect varied answers, but appreciate responses none-the-less.

Thanks everyone!

PedroHierro

New

Re: NYU v Cornell v BU

Post by PedroHierro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 pm

That's a tough one, and I'm in a similar position with NYU and Cornell. I'm interested in biglaw, and I know that both NYU and Cornell can get me there. Also considering a 60k scholly from Cornell, and $0 from NYU (which, coupled with high COL would make it about twice as expensive as Cornell).

If you haven't visited Ithaca, you should probably go before making any big decisions. I know Cornell gets a lot of hate, but I thought the city and campus were beautiful. NYU opens up a lot of doors, however, so if you're interested in Academia or even PI, you might want to give it more consideration.

Congrats on all three schools, though. You're have great options, and you can't go wrong either way!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Unless Cornell gives you significant $$$ then NYU.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 pm

PedroHierro wrote:That's a tough one, and I'm in a similar position with NYU and Cornell. I'm interested in biglaw, and I know that both NYU and Cornell can get me there. Also considering a 60k scholly from Cornell, and $0 from NYU (which, coupled with high COL would make it about twice as expensive as Cornell).

If you haven't visited Ithaca, you should probably go before making any big decisions. I know Cornell gets a lot of hate, but I thought the city and campus were beautiful. NYU opens up a lot of doors, however, so if you're interested in Academia or even PI, you might want to give it more consideration.

Congrats on all three schools, though. You're have great options, and you can't go wrong either way!

I appreciate the response. While I'm very interested in academia (more so than biglaw), I understand how unlikely it is to succeed in that field, even from NYU. I'll be visiting Cornell in April, but I'm more than positive that I'll like it, so it'll probably just make this decision even harder.

PedroHierro

New

Post by PedroHierro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Also, I called Cornell this morning and asked for my scholarship information. They sent it to me via email in about 10 minutes. Knowing how much money they'll give you may make your decision much easier...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:38 pm

dpk711 wrote:Unless Cornell gives you significant $$$ then NYU.

What would you consider significant $$$? If both are at sticker, would BU be a viable option?

elm84dr

Bronze

Post by elm84dr » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:40 pm

The BU Full ride should get consideration if you think you can get out debt free (for the most part). Couple things, BOSTON is a great city to go to school in, law school included. If you want to return to Texas I think NYU and Cornell may make that more possible, but BU has a lot of name recognition nationwide.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:37 am

shameless bump for more input

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Because you seem like a cool guy for saying I seemed like a cool guy in my thread, here's my 2 cents: Depends how much Cornell gives you. If they give you 75k, I think you'd be silly not to take it. I highly doubt BU will get you back to Texas. While NYU is obviously superior (and hell, hypothetically I could still get in and for personal reasons I'd go there), the smart move is to take the ~50% scholarship at a school that's only marginal less prestigious. Not to mention Cornell law is badass, and NYU is in the heart of hipster central.

See what Cornell offers- if it's $60k, I'd take it. If its lower, probably NYU, but you have to pick where you'll be happy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”