UVA v NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WHERE?! (please read first!)

UVA with $90K
13%
NYU with full ride
87%

Total votes: 77

arism87

Silver

UVA v NYU

Post by arism87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:27 pm

Edit: Got some more info about NYU.. looks like NYU is TCR.

Thanks, everyone!
Last edited by arism87 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

glewz

Silver

Re: UVA v NYU

Post by glewz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:28 pm

NYU >> UVA for PI. Also > UVA for most other specializations.
Last edited by glewz on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:30 pm

In my opinion, yes, unless you think you'll legitimately be unhappy at NYU.
Last edited by ATR on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:32 pm

arism87 wrote:-
If you get a full ride at NYU, take it. If not, see how much you get. If it's close to what UVA is offering, go to NYU. If UVA is offering substantially more, then go to UVA.
Last edited by Knock on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:33 pm

IMHO, you should table your happiness (even if you think you'll be unhappy @ NYU) and save 90K debt.
Last edited by glewz on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks everyone so far- and please keep it coming! - but can you please remove my quotes? That's more detail than I care to have on here at the moment :)

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:34 pm

glewz wrote:
ATR wrote:
arism87 wrote:I know NYU is the better school and either program would provide amazing opportunities. Too much to pass up?
In my opinion, yes, unless you think you'll legitimately be unhappy at NYU.
IMHO, you should table your happiness (even if you think you'll be unhappy @ NYU) and save 90K debt.
Well the debt will probably be equal if I get a scholarship at NYU due to differences in COL- but I'm guessing you're still going with NYU?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Do you have the scholarship at NYU or not? If you do have the full ride go to NYU, if you don't go to UVA. As far as the job thing it won't make a difference unless your goal is a NYC only organization.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:36 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Do you have the scholarship at NYU or not? If you do have the full ride go to NYU, if you don't go to UVA. As far as the job thing it won't make a difference unless your goal is a NYC only organization.
I don't, I just want to be ready to make an informed decision if that time comes. The odds are decent enough to worry, I think.

So you think if costs end up being equal, it won't matter for jobs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:37 pm

You're supposed to pay back the RTK if you don't go into public interest, right? It doesn't sound like you're ready to commit to that. Given everything you've said I think UVA is a legitimate choice, at least a 50/50 option. I do think you should at least visit NYU, though, it may exceed your expectations.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:39 pm

arism87 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Do you have the scholarship at NYU or not? If you do have the full ride go to NYU, if you don't go to UVA. As far as the job thing it won't make a difference unless your goal is a NYC only organization.
I don't, I just want to be ready to make an informed decision if that time comes. The odds are decent enough to worry, I think.

So you think if costs end up being equal, it won't matter for jobs?
PI jobs/orgs will not care whether you attend UVA or NYU. They will care about (1) your grades (2) demonstrated commitment to PI. If what the above poster says about having to pay back NYU for the scholarship if you don't do PI, the answer is UVA hands down.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Last edited by arism87 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:43 pm

I just got done visiting NYU. If you don't like big cities, you are NOT going to like NYU. There is no campus at all. It feels like its 4 blocks of school buildings amidst the city. Make sure you visit before you make up your mind. That being said, NYU>UVA

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

616rewind

New

Post by 616rewind » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 pm

uva
Last edited by 616rewind on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Curry wrote:I just got done visiting NYU. If you don't like big cities, you are NOT going to like NYU. There is no campus at all. It feels like its 4 blocks of school buildings amidst the city. Make sure you visit before you make up your mind. That being said, NYU>UVA
Just so you know OP people are pulling this from 2 places: 1. US News numerical rank and 2. their ass. NYU is definitely not > UVA unless you're talking about working in a NYC law firm--which you aren't.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimraynor

New

Post by jimraynor » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:46 pm

(caveat: I'm making a similar choice, not a student at either)

If you're interested in PI, the LRAP is very very different. UVA stops paying once you hit 75k. There does not appear to be an adjustment for time in the program. If you're looking at federal government jobs, you're likely to hit 75k pretty fast. For many others, it still seems likely you'll hit 75 before 10 years are up. Also, you start paying at 55k.
For NYU's new LRAP you start paying at 75k and there's no cap.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:48 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Curry wrote:I just got done visiting NYU. If you don't like big cities, you are NOT going to like NYU. There is no campus at all. It feels like its 4 blocks of school buildings amidst the city. Make sure you visit before you make up your mind. That being said, NYU>UVA
Just so you know OP people are pulling this from 2 places: 1. US News and 2. their ass. NYU is definitely not > UVA unless you're talking about working in a NYC law firm--which you aren't.
Uh.. Its also one of the best schools in the country for PI, places better everywhere except maybe DC, has a better reputation, considerably better LRAP program, has better professors, more interdisciplinary options, and is just all around a better school :/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:52 pm

jimraynor wrote:(caveat: I'm making a similar choice, not a student at either)

If you're interested in PI, the LRAP is very very different. UVA stops paying once you hit 75k. There does not appear to be an adjustment for time in the program. If you're looking at federal government jobs, you're likely to hit 75k pretty fast. For many others, it still seems likely you'll hit 75 before 10 years are up. Also, you start paying at 55k.
The only pi jobs where you will hit 75K "pretty fast" are DOJ and SEC. If she ends up with the type of GPA that will land her that sort of position paying off her debt will no longer be of any concern regardless of which school she chooses.
Curry wrote: Uh.. Its also one of the best schools in the country for PI, places better everywhere except maybe DC, has a better reputation, considerably better LRAP program, has better professors, more interdisciplinary options, and is just all around a better school :/
Did you pull this from their brochure? PI employers aren't digging deeper into NYU's class than they are UVA's. It doesn't have a better reputation (in fact it has had a lower lawyer/judge score assessment score in US News than UVA for several years), it doesn't place better anywhere except NYC, and the professor thing is totally subjective and means nothing to a student applying for jobs. That's only relevant to things like attracting wide eyed interested applicants.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:58 pm

The one.closer to dc :wink:

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:58 pm

If you get a full ride at NYU with no strings attached, I think you'd be crazy to settle for less at UVA. If you get no money at NYU, I think you'd be crazy to turn down $90k at UVA. If the NYU full ride requires you to pay it back if you don't go PI, you shouldn't take it if you're anything less than 100% committed to PI.

The differences in employment prospects within the T-10 (outside of HYS) are not that great, so I'm an advocate of following the money, although some people disagree.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:01 pm

BruceWayne wrote: Did you pull this from their brochure? PI employers aren't digging deeper into NYU's class than they are UVA's. It doesn't have a better reputation (in fact it has had a lower lawyer/judge score assessment score in US News than UVA for several years), it doesn't place better anywhere except NYC, and the professor thing is totally subjective and means nothing to a student applying for jobs. That's only relevant to things like attracting wide eyed interested applicants.
I suspect you're wrong about this, because connections etc. are important in PI and NYU has one of the bigger PI networks around. Also, despite OP's feelings about big cities, the internship/clinical opportunities from being in NYC versus Charlottesville are a world apart. As I have no objective evidence, though, I don't imagine my opinion much matters to you, which is fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Cavalier wrote:If you get a full ride at NYU with no strings attached, I think you'd be crazy to settle for less at UVA. If you get no money at NYU, I think you'd be crazy to turn down $90k at UVA. If the NYU full ride requires you to pay it back if you don't go PI, you shouldn't take it if you're anything less than 100% committed to PI.

The differences in employment prospects within the T-10 (outside of HYS) are not that great, so I'm an advocate of following the money, although some people disagree.
I agree. I think following the money is credited here. If equal money visit both and see which one you prefer.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:05 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Curry wrote: Uh.. Its also one of the best schools in the country for PI, places better everywhere except maybe DC, has a better reputation, considerably better LRAP program, has better professors, more interdisciplinary options, and is just all around a better school :/
Did you pull this from their brochure? PI employers aren't digging deeper into NYU's class than they are UVA's. It doesn't have a better reputation (in fact it has had a lower lawyer/judge score assessment score in US News than UVA for several years), it doesn't place better anywhere except NYC, and the professor thing is totally subjective and means nothing to a student applying for jobs. That's only relevant to things like attracting wide eyed interested applicants.
lol so the basis for your argument is a lawyer/judge score assessment that has a 12% response rate and anecdotal evidence about PI, while ignoring LRAP, ignoring the fact that NYU is considered by pretty much everyone as the best PI school in the country outside of HYS, and the fact that it has much more of a national reach than UVA given its huge PI network.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:05 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
jimraynor wrote:(caveat: I'm making a similar choice, not a student at either)

The only pi jobs where you will hit 75K "pretty fast" are DOJ and SEC. If she ends up with the type of GPA that will land her that sort of position paying off her debt will no longer be of any concern regardless of which school she chooses.
This is credited. The lawyer rep is higher at UVA. The firm rank is that same

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=150780

UVA would be much more enjoyable then NYU, COL and quality of life are something to be thought of. Not just a slight difference in rankings. I would take UVA in a heartbeat (given you dont get a scholly from NYU)

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Cavalier wrote:If you get a full ride at NYU with no strings attached, I think you'd be crazy to settle for less at UVA. If you get no money at NYU, I think you'd be crazy to turn down $90k at UVA. If the NYU full ride requires you to pay it back if you don't go PI, you shouldn't take it if you're anything less than 100% committed to PI.

+1 NYU does have a great PI OCI from what I understand, but if you are really dedicated to PI it should be about $$$ within the T14.
Last edited by sundance95 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”