Suffolk $$$ vs. Penn State & Waitlist options Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which option would you choose?

Suffolk 35k a year
No votes
Penn State sticker
13%
158+ reapply
13%
165+ reapply
75%

Total votes: 8

jaydizzle

Silver

Suffolk $$$ vs. Penn State & Waitlist options

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:50 am

Alright, so I effed up the LSAT twice and I got a 154. I have a very very high GPA from a good school. My options right now are Suffolk 35k a year or Penn State sticker. I prefer Boston to PA, so I am leaning heavily towards Suffolk. I landed some work right now with very small pay. I am not sure how secure it is.

I have a lot of undergrad loans, so I want to take advantage of IBR. I realize big law is almost impossible unless I will be the #1 Student. I want a career in state or federal government as of right now. I am looking at various fields of law due to my undergrad business background.

I will also retake once again in June as a last go since it will be my third time. I am a hard worker, but the LSAT has clearly showed that I have an average intellect. I studied hard using Blueprint and other sources. This time around I will read the bibles and try to do better. If I fail to get in the 160s, I have Suffolk as an option. I am on the waitlist at IUB, Washington and Lee, Iowa, and UConn. I feel that UConn would be a great option at sticker since I am in-state and would not mind practicing in CT. I could also drastically save on living costs. Would the other schools be worth sticker if I want to go the government route with IBR?

So, here is my plan: Go to Suffolk with the $$$ and shoot for a government career with IBR unless I get off the UConn waitlist. If I improve my LSAT in June to a 160 or better should I reapply or settle for Suffolk or UConn if they take me? I feel that unless I get a 165 or better I should take Suffolk. What does everyone think?

ran12

Silver

Re: Suffolk $$$ vs. Penn State & Waitlist options

Post by ran12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:53 am

If you get into UConn go there. If you get 160s in June, I would just reapply really early next cycle. If you have a good gpa and a 160 you'll get into better schools and with considerable money. Penn St for ex would give you 60-75k.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:06 pm

ran12 wrote:If you get into UConn go there. If you get 160s in June, I would just reapply really early next cycle. If you have a good gpa and a 160 you'll get into better schools and with considerable money. Penn St for ex would give you 60-75k.
Yeah, this is what I am thinking. I figure one last retake is worth the trouble. Say I get a 160 exactly. I want to practice in the Boston or NYC area. Where would you apply? My personal feeling is that with a 160, I wouldn't do much better than Suffolk $$$. If I do not get into UConn, I might have a shot with a 160. I think in order to have a much better opportunity I really need a 165. I am not too crazy with PA.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:22 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
ran12 wrote:If you get into UConn go there. If you get 160s in June, I would just reapply really early next cycle. If you have a good gpa and a 160 you'll get into better schools and with considerable money. Penn St for ex would give you 60-75k.
Yeah, this is what I am thinking. I figure one last retake is worth the trouble. Say I get a 160 exactly. I want to practice in the Boston or NYC area. Where would you apply? My personal feeling is that with a 160, I wouldn't do much better than Suffolk $$$. If I do not get into UConn, I might have a shot with a 160. I think in order to have a much better opportunity I really need a 165. I am not too crazy with PA.
You're right about the money for schools in that area. UConn might give you 30k for the first year but nothing more. Northeastern won't give you much. Same with Brooklyn and Cardozo. Albany would prob give you a pretty good deal but you would prob have to work in that region. It's considered a TTT but it definitely has a lot of respect in the area. Of these schools, with a 160, I would only really consider UConn and Albany. With a 165, it's a whole new ballgame. You have decent shots at Fordham, BC, BU. Fordham wouldn't be worth it though b/c it'll prob be sticker. BC and BU might be worth it sticker.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:26 pm

ran12 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
You're right about the money for schools in that area. UConn might give you 30k for the first year but nothing more. Northeastern won't give you much. Same with Brooklyn and Cardozo. Albany would prob give you a pretty good deal but you would prob have to work in that region. It's considered a TTT but it definitely has a lot of respect in the area. Of these schools, with a 160, I would only really consider UConn and Albany. With a 165, it's a whole new ballgame. You have decent shots at Fordham, BC, BU. Fordham wouldn't be worth it though b/c it'll prob be sticker. BC and BU might be worth it sticker.
I am in state at UConn so it is only 20k a year. I guess I got a pretty good deal with Suffolk then. I hated Albany. I am trying to set up so more hypotheticals to see what to do with each score. EDing at UVA might be worth it with a 165. I doubt I would have a shot at any of the top 20 or T14 unless I get a 168.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:57 pm

If you get into UConn, take it!

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:20 am

anyone else?

Want to continue reading?