~ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sparcarc

New

~

Post by sparcarc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 am

~
Last edited by sparcarc on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: Apply again next cycle? 2.3 / 171

Post by BlueDiamond » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 am

you still have a lot of schools to hear back from this cycle.. so this seems very premature

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:55 am

you're not getting into any of those schools. sorry bro. why didn't you apply to WUSTL? basically, you have to decide whether you're happy with minnesota or not. simple as that.

sparcarc

New

~

Post by sparcarc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:58 am

~
Last edited by sparcarc on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:02 am

I'd take Minn and run. 170+ is hot but that GPA makes you a crapshoot anywhere. I don't think waiting a year and applying early will help much. GL w/ your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edinbourgh

New

Post by edinbourgh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 am

If waiting until next cycle is a possible option ( it seems so from your post), it might be better to try again in a few months. You won't end up wondering whether the reason certain schools denied or waitlisted you was because your application was late (it won't be an issue with the ones that accept you).
In the meantime, you could get a little more work experience and save some money before heading to law school. It's only a matter of months before schools start taking apps again, and you already have a nice score so you will have little else you need to do regarding application prep.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:16 am

Honestly, I don't think you have a good shot at any of the schools you listed. You're definitely out at MVDCG. BU has been WL'ing people with much better numbers right and left, so you're out there. I don't think GW will bite at your GPA, but even if they do, you won't get any scholarship money and the CoA is astronomical.

Where else did you apply? I'm a little confused as to your list of schools because you seem to have a lot of reaches, but no real safety or target schools. Maybe you have a better chance at some of the other schools to which you've applied, but based on the info in the OP, I think Minnesota is likely to be your only offer. If you're happy with that, then go to Minnesota. If not, reapply next cycle (in October, not February).

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:16 am

I'm also a big splitter and will be applying in next year's cycle. Minnesota was NOT a fluke; they are very friendly to splitters.

Not much to say beyond that. It's all premature; see what other acceptances you get, if any. All it takes is one really good one.

sparcarc

New

~

Post by sparcarc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 am

~
Last edited by sparcarc on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:41 am

ask Minn if they'll let you defer w/o losing the scholarship possibility

if yes then defer and apply ASAP next cycle

if no, then probably just go to Minn
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:46 am

You need to pick a region you want to live in and go there. If you're cool with MN then go to MInnesota this year, otherwise wait a year and apply to the region you DO want to work at. The t14 is more or less out for you with the GPA, and most schools in the 15-25 range will either reject, WL or accept @ sticker. I personally am not as debt adverse as some so sticker at something like BC or ND would be fine by me, but thats entirely up to you. The smarter play would be applying to a lower T1 or a T2 in the region you want to work in and getting a huge scholly from them.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 am

With your GPA, it's going to be next to impossible to get into a school with a strong international reputation or prestige. If you have work experience, or can get some before next year, you could try ED'ing to Northwestern at the very beginning of the cycle. They sometimes take big splitters (though 2.3 may well be too low for them). You would be locked into paying sticker, but you'd be at a school with a solid reputation.

Beyond that, I think it's a waste of your money to apply to the T14. You'd be much better served by using that money to apply to a wide range of T1 and T2 schools. It's hard to predict results for extreme splitters like you, so your best bet is to cast a really wide net. You'll likely get mixed results, even among peer schools, so try to give yourself as many options as possible.

e: You should also spend some time looking at the school graphs on lawschoolnumbers.com and figure out which schools have a hard GPA floor (meaning they won't accept anyone with a GPA below a certain point, regardless of LSAT score or other factors). You can save yourself the app fee at those schools as well.
Last edited by Magnolia on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 am

Also, predictions for your current cycle:
BC - WL/out
BU - out
UC - Davis - WL
Cornell - out
Columbia - out
Duke - out
Emory - out
GW - out
Georgetown - out
Illinois - WL
Maryland - WL
Michigan - out
Minnesota - In
Northwestern - Out
Notre Dame - WL
UPenn (yup you can start laughing) - out
Vanderbilt - out
UVA - out
Washington University - In/WL
William and Mary - WL
Last edited by Magnolia on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 pm

sparcarc wrote:Even though I agree that rankings do not mean much, considering my background as an international student, and considering the fact that I will have some affiliation in the future with businesses in my home country, I just needed a school with a name that is at least recognizable.
I didn't realize you are international and the top priority is name recognition in your home country. If they respect "U of Minnesota" in that country, wouldn't they also respect "U of Nebraska," "Michigan State," "U of Missouri," "Louisiana State," etc.? A lot of these state schools are WAY less selective than the ones you're applying to, and they might give you a big scholly. Consider these if you reapply next year.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm

Robespierre wrote:
sparcarc wrote:Even though I agree that rankings do not mean much, considering my background as an international student, and considering the fact that I will have some affiliation in the future with businesses in my home country, I just needed a school with a name that is at least recognizable.
I didn't realize you are international and the top priority is name recognition in your home country. If they respect "U of Minnesota" in that country, wouldn't they also respect "U of Nebraska," "Michigan State," "U of Missouri," "Louisiana State," etc.? A lot of these state schools are WAY less selective than the ones you're applying to, and they might give you a big scholly. Consider these if you reapply next year.
Or they could just google "law school rankings" and end up at USN and see Minn all the way up there. I'd just take Minn and run for sure.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:30 pm

Reapply next year, but you should only need to apply to NU, WUSTL, Minnesota, and maybe UIUC. The Minnesota offer is real nice, but you can probably get it next year and do better if you apply on the first day of applications. Of course, if you just want to go this year, taking the Minnesota offer is not a bad idea.

sparcarc

New

~

Post by sparcarc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:15 pm

~
Last edited by sparcarc on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:25 pm

sparcarc wrote:Hmm yea.. exactly as the poster mentioned above, I'm hoping if I do goto Minnesota, it's 20th in USNWR will matter. Although, I must say, I was hoping for Emory (despite the chances,) but considering that they just dropped 8 spots.. and considering that Minnesota has been consistently in 25 range for a while now, I don't know. Sad though, how much a mere magazine's report can matter and can be a factor in the decision for choosing schools.

Well, still hopeful though. From browsing through other threads, it seems that WUSTL has been offering acceptances to people with low GPA's - although not as low as mine. Scholly is not a huge factor for now - I'd be willing to take on debt. Does anyone think there might be a chance at WUSTL? Or no?

One thing for sure is, if I graduate law school with that kind of GPA, I'm screwed. -_-
You could have a chance at WUSTL if you put together an extremely strong application and apply very early.

You won't get into Emory. They have a hard 3.0 GPA floor. Sorry.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:53 pm

Borhas wrote:ask Minn if they'll let you defer w/o losing the scholarship possibility

if yes then defer and apply ASAP next cycle

if no, then probably just go to Minn
I doubt they would let him defer. You usually need a reason and "trying to get into a better school than you" would not be looked upon favorably

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:59 pm

But Minnesota.. and Midwest..

Just not sure. haha
If you have issues with the Midwest, they apply to WUSTL as well -- also set in a Midwestern city/context. It might have a little more national placement than UMN, but its primary market is the South and Midwest.

Anyway, I'm not sure WUSTL is worth deferring a year to go to over UMN. I guess if you're gunning for rankings/prestige it might make sense, since WUSTL seems hellbent on improving its reputation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”