UT or GWU? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jdazz87

New

UT or GWU?

Post by Jdazz87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:38 am

I just got my call from UT Austin today. Time to start deciding where to go...

My only other choice is GWU (I haven't heard from Emory yet, but drop to #30 and reports of dismal OCI don't excite me). I don't know for sure in which market I want to end up or what area I want to study. GWU didn't offer a scholarship, and being 167/3.65 I'm not expecting anything from Texas either. From the (albeit limited) research I've done, UT seems to have a much more reasonable cost of living, better national reach, and better US News ranking.

Are there any reasons I should consider GWU over UT?
I'll more than likely visit both just in case I fall in love with one over the other, but based on numbers alone, I can't see me turning down UT.

Any thoughts?

Deuce

Silver

Re: UT or GWU?

Post by Deuce » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:46 am

This thread is relevant to my interests, so tagged. Sorry I can't really be of help here tho :|

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:25 am

I'm by no means an expert on this but I think it's safe to assume that, since both UT Austin and GWU are regional schools (despite UT Austin now tying with GULC for #14), your Biglaw chances from either school will be relatively similar. Then take into account the relative COA and COL and the balance swings in favor of UT Austin.

Where are you from and what environment are you most comfortable in? For me, personally, I am choosing between GWU and WUSTL ($$), and I'm still eyeing GWU despite the cost difference and rankings difference because I'm a native East Coast kid (New York, born and bred) and can't really see myself being happy in an environment as different as the Midwest. I'm still undecided but for me, culture/environment is the biggest factor holding me back from WUSTL right now. That, and I am very un-excited at the prospect of ending up in Missouri if I don't make the top 10%. I may still end up at WUSTL, but this is what I'm thinking about right now.

Can you see yourself living out your days in Texas if you don't graduate near the top of your class, with journals under your belt? Also, what kind of law do you want to practice (to help you estimate your future salary) and how much debt to you expect to come out with from either school - do you think, with your projected salary, you could pay it off relatively easily?

Good luck either way, I don't think you'll end up in a bad spot from either school!

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:16 am

Peg wrote: Where are you from and what environment are you most comfortable in? For me, personally, I am choosing between GWU and WUSTL ($$), and I'm still eyeing GWU despite the cost difference and rankings difference because I'm a native East Coast kid (New York, born and bred) and can't really see myself being happy in an environment as different as the Midwest. I'm still undecided but for me, culture/environment is the biggest factor holding me back from WUSTL right now. That, and I am very un-excited at the prospect of ending up in Missouri if I don't make the top 10%. I may still end up at WUSTL, but this is what I'm thinking about right now.
I may find myself in this situation (have the WUSTL $$ and have yet to hear from GWU) so I was poking around some of the big firms in DC and anecdotally, GWU absolutely crushed it relative to other "t40" schools. I saw a few people from WUSTL and one or two from UT and then a smattering of all-stars from other lower ranked schools, but it was definitely GWU territory.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 am

The GWU/WUSTL debate is absurd. WUSTL gives more money in general, but GWU has better biglaw placement (by several percentage points at least).

As to UT vs. GWU, its about where you want to work and how debt averse you are.

Personally, I think you should take UT and run. Much cheaper place to live in general, and its biglaw placement is comprable to GWU.

Jdazz87

New

Post by Jdazz87 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:21 am

Thanks very much to all for your replies. The more I think about it the further toward UT I'm leaning. I've heard nothing but raving excitement about Austin as a city (I haven't visited yet), and although I spent a week in DC last year and liked it, I've never been a big fan of the cold (grew up in OC, CA and went to UCLA UG). Both UT and GWU seem to be huge schools size-wise, so that can't help my decision either way.
I guess the next step is just to attend admitted student days and take tours and see :)

Good luck to you all with your GWU/WUSTL dilemma as well!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”