UCLA VS. BU(75k Scholly) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
frijoles99

New

UCLA VS. BU(75k Scholly)

Post by frijoles99 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:50 am

Born and raised in CA, but don't mind Boston GF is in Yale nursing. I want more than anything to work for DOJ, I know it's tough but I think I have the drive and ability to do it. Would UCLA be better for this though? I don't mind money as much because I am definitely doing some sort of PI and I can do the IBR in combination with Federal Reimbursement program. So 15% a year of income and after 10 years loan forgiveness, but it is still scary to have a lot of money hanging over your head. I am trying to be reasonable by considering my options if I don't make it into the PI I want. I would prefer to stay in CA long run, but wouldn't mind moving at all for DOJ. Thoughts anyone?

fakemoney

Bronze

Re: UCLA VS. BU(75k Scholly)

Post by fakemoney » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:33 am

Antecdotally, I've heard (you probably have too) that BU actually has hubs of alumni in California. So going there might not necessarily shut you out of the left coast. But if you're going to do the whole IBR + loan forgiveness thing, I'd go to UCLA if it gave me a reasonably better chance at the DOJ. I have no idea about either school's relative success at availing that sort of opportunity though.
Last edited by fakemoney on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 am

Sticker at UCLA hurts, even with discounts. I'd recommend BU so long as you are ok with Boston and/or NY placement rather than CA. (Also, don't expect to get much time with your GF during law school, regardless of whether you choose UCLA or BU.)

nepomuk

New

Post by nepomuk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat, except I only got 45K from BU and I'm not interested in PI. I'm leaning heavily towards BU though. UCLA sticker plus increases in tuition over the next years, plus higher COL, make it less appealing for me. I'm in SF now and I would love to practice in the Bay Area, but so would a lot of other people. I think I'll take my chances with BU, and see where I end up.

frijoles99

New

Post by frijoles99 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:26 pm

I believe written into graduate student contracts in CA is a clause stating that tuition cannot be increased once a student has commenced their graduate studies. I know because the UC system was sued for millions over this and had to return a large amount of tuition. I want to go to the Bay area too that's why I am leaning UCLA despite cost differences.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:34 pm

frijoles99 wrote:I believe written into graduate student contracts in CA is a clause stating that tuition cannot be increased once a student has commenced their graduate studies. I know because the UC system was sued for millions over this and had to return a large amount of tuition. I want to go to the Bay area too that's why I am leaning UCLA despite cost differences.
Here is a summary of the case
http://chronicle.com/article/U-of-Calif ... und/64667/

A specific group of students who went to school several years ago were refunded fees because the university supposedly made a binding promise that fees would not increase. This does not mean they cannot increase the tuition now once you commence your studies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”