LL.M. Admissions: BU (General) v. Cardozo (IP) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iwtlic

New

LL.M. Admissions: BU (General) v. Cardozo (IP)

Post by iwtlic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi,

I really need some help!!

I'm a Canadian student finishing up an LL.B.

I got into the Cardozo IP LL.M. program and the BU General LL.M. program with a concentration in Intellectual Property.

I really don't know which to choose. I know BU is probably better in terms of academics and ranked #4 for IP and also much higher than Cardozo in general, but Cardozo offers such great internship opportunities and its in NYC... Also, I wouldn't write the Mass. bar but I would write the NY bar...

Also, I'm interested in IP in terms of entertainment and media, which is probably more centered around NYC than Boston...It going to BU worth it just for the prestige of the name/the name in the specific field, or is Cardozo worth it for a slight dip in terms of reputation but better direct job hunt opportunities....I'm basically wondering what would give me better job opportunities around NYC for IP law focused on entertainment.
Ugh!

I can't decide! I need help! Please!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

iwtlic

New

Re: LL.M. Admissions: BU (General) v. Cardozo (IP)

Post by iwtlic » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:57 am

anyone?

iwtlic

New

Post by iwtlic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:22 am

Srry to be annoying, but I really need some help.

Can anyone here give me some insight!?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:30 am

I would avoid Cardozo by all means. BU's LLM program is not going to enhance your prospects in any meaningful way, but if you must attend an LLM program I would choose this one from your options. The name is simply more recognizable. If you ever have to return to Canada at least people will know where your school was located when you bring it up. They won't be familiar with Cardozo.

Why do you need an LLM? I know Canadian law student grads who have been admitted in the states without receiving LLMs.

iwtlic

New

Post by iwtlic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:42 am

MrAnon wrote:I would avoid Cardozo by all means. BU's LLM program is not going to enhance your prospects in any meaningful way, but if you must attend an LLM program I would choose this one from your options. The name is simply more recognizable. If you ever have to return to Canada at least people will know where your school was located when you bring it up. They won't be familiar with Cardozo.

Why do you need an LLM? I know Canadian law student grads who have been admitted in the states without receiving LLMs.
I'm coming from Canada, but more specifically, from Quebec (a bi-juridical province) with an LL.B. (in civil law). While I've still done some common law classes (constitutional, criminal, foundations, communication) that are of canadian federal jurisdiction, the rest have been civil law classes, specific to Quebec. (Did this since it allowed me to go to law school without a previous bachelors degree, so this law degree is my first university diploma and for that fact alone, it's worth it for me to specialize in a field I want to learn more about and hopefully practice in someday soon).

Why do you say avoid Cardozo at all costs? Even if it isn't super high in general rankings, I've heard it's great for IP (the LL.M. program I've been accepted to).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 am

LLM from UCLA/USC for entertainment...

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:14 pm

I've heard it's great for IP (the LL.M. program I've been accepted to).
It may very well be that, but the entire school placed something like 12 people in big law last year, so despite the reputation, it isn't helping the students.

IP defense work is very high level work; firms will only cherry pick the top 2 or 3 students from this program. I don't know much about IP prosecution work but I imagine it is much less selective. In that case it won't matter where you went to school.

iwtlic

New

Post by iwtlic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:46 pm

Anyone think it would be crazy to choose Cardozo for IP over BU (General with a concentration in IP) given these new rankings?

Cardozo: #50 overall / #5 in IP

BU: #22 overall / #7 in IP

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”