Davis/Hastings v. W&M/W&L tag-team. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Battle?

William and Mary
25%
Washington and Lee
5%
Davis
55%
Hastings
15%

Total votes: 20

lhlee

Bronze

Davis/Hastings v. W&M/W&L tag-team.

Post by lhlee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:43 pm

First, a little about myself. I want to go to a law school that will eventually get me a very good life. Biglaw is not necessarily what I want at this moment, but I do not want to rule it out. However, I see myself happy at a mid-size firm (making a decent salary) and having time for family. I grew up in LA and I am very comfortable in a big city (even if it is a sprawl). If i moved to a very small town, it might be a little difficult to adjust.

My top two targeted markets are California and then DC with a little more preference for CA, but only marginally. Davis/Hastings both feed into the California market and are remarkably similar, even if the US News rankings says otherwise. W&M/W&L are very similar as well and both feed into DC and Virginia. I have no intention of working in the South, however. If i go to W&M/W&L...it's going to be DC or bust. I'm not sure if that would be a risky move.

These are the offers I have gotten, and some notes:

Davis (have not received any yet, just got accepted)
Pros: SO currently works in Sacramento--we told each other that we will not make decision based on what we will do, but being near her would be a BIG plus; close to CA govnt jobs; good faculty and community...but have access to major cities with a short drive

Cons: The cost of attendance, though I am anticipating at least some merit or need-based aid.

Hastings (have not received any yet, just got accepted)
Pros: City, SANFRAN; Good Program; Really close to the actions; won't have to move in the summer for internships/jobs.
Cons: Housing is a leg and an arm for a glorified room.

W&M (10k/yr with a 3.0 stip. If I become a VA resident, the 10k/yr is gone)
Pros: Good campus, seems like a great community; currently cheapest option if I can get the restrictions removed on the scholly
ConS: Tiny town with very little of the amenities that I am used to; not much diversity in the student body; nightlife=delis

W&L (20k/yr with 3.2 gpa..but costs come out the same as W&M)
Pros: Traveler's (Robert E. Lee's?) grave is there; Gorgeous campus w/ great people
Con: It's a tiny town and I think adjusting would be hard. The diversity statistics are kind of scary.

Thanks for the input, guys.

lhlee

Bronze

Re: Davis/Hastings v. W&M/W&L tag-team.

Post by lhlee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:01 pm

No one? Oh well. Thanks for everyone that voted! I'll do more research, I guess.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:05 pm

I feel like you are underestimating how bad things are. I'm not sure I could recommend going to any of these schools, esp at sticker or close to it, if someone wants a "very good life."

That being said, if I were you I would choose UCD considering you will be near your SO and CoL will be cheaper than Hastings. Plus you seem to have at least a marginal preference for CA over DC.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:14 pm

I understand the ITE comment by the above poster. But seeing as how they are all good schools and there does exist is the ability to have a "nice life" from them, I'd go with Hastings/Davis. Also, I doubt you'd consider retaking or sitting out so whats the point of even mentioning it.

The DC or bust is probably the more riskier preferences that you have. DC really isn't that big of a town for everyone to want to go there. And with the option of not even considering parts of VA, that becomes a deal breaker in my eyes.

I think Hastings locale makes it ideal as far as networking and internship opportunities, but that COL is a b*tch. Tenderloin district perhaps? Still at that, you're paying out the ass. I voted for Davis. Worst case scenario, if you become broke at least you'll have love :lol: 8) :lol:

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:16 pm

mez06 wrote:I understand the ITE comment by the above poster. But seeing as how they are all good schools and there does exist is the ability to have a "nice life" from them, I'd go with Hastings/Davis. Also, I doubt you'd consider retaking or sitting out so whats the point of even mentioning it.
I mean it's possible, but unlikely. I definitely think retaking/reapplying and aiming for a large scholly or a better school is ideal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 pm

bk187 wrote:
mez06 wrote:I understand the ITE comment by the above poster. But seeing as how they are all good schools and there does exist is the ability to have a "nice life" from them, I'd go with Hastings/Davis. Also, I doubt you'd consider retaking or sitting out so whats the point of even mentioning it.
I mean it's possible, but unlikely. I definitely think retaking/reapplying and aiming for a large scholly or a better school is ideal.

Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from, but I won't be able to retake unfortunately. I will try to renegotiate a better deal once they actually give me the scholarship/need based aid information.

I think my idea of a "nice life" is different from other people. I came from a very poor background and I'll be happy just to break into the middle class and have manageable debt by my late 30s. It's not an extravagant goal at all, but hopefully a top30 school can give me some stability.

BUT, I definitely will take your advise into consideration and reevaluate. Thanks!

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 pm

mez06 wrote: I voted for Davis. Worst case scenario, if you become broke at least you'll have love :lol: 8) :lol:
I hope it doesn't come close to that. I hope her med prospects are much better than my legal ones. AND, t'loin district isn't too bad...but definitely wouldn't pay the prices to live there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”