Iowa and Loyola LA vs. 4 tier 3 schools with full tuition Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose

Iowa / sticker
36%
Loyola LA / 3/4 tuition
33%
Nebraska / full tuition
19%
Creighton / full tuition
3%
Quinnipiac / full tuition
No votes
Saint Louis / full tuition
8%

Total votes: 36

rippimpc

New

Iowa and Loyola LA vs. 4 tier 3 schools with full tuition

Post by rippimpc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:31 pm

I want to work in big law, but i've heard that if I go to a school outside the t-14, i have to be in the top 10 % and on the law review. Even then, my chances are still low. I am still waiting to hear back from Penn, Cornell, Duke, Emory, and WUSTL. I got rejected at UC-Berkeley and wait-listed at Virginia, Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana and so I'm not expecting to get in to any of these schools, especially since I didn't send any of my apps in until after January. If I get into one though, with the exception of maybe WUSTL, I expect my best shot at big law would be to attend one at sticker price. (top 10% and on law review at outside t-14 < middle of class at t-14?)

Right now, I think my best option is Loyola. I recently got a letter from the dean that said the top 10 largest law firms in LA have more Loyola graduates than from any other law school. I don't know if it's accurate, but I guess big law in LA is an option if I attend Loyola and graduate at the top of my class. Also, I shouldn't be more than 50,000 dollars in debt after I graduate which is a big deal since I'm not sure I will land a high paying job right out of law school.

Since it may be improbable that I land a high paying job graduating from any law school outside the t-14, I also think the Quinnipiac, St. Louis, Creighton, and Nebraska are decent options since I will graduate with little to no debt and have an excellent chance of being in the top 10% of my class and on the law review. I assume doing so would also land me a decent job within each school's respective city/region.

So that leaves Iowa w/o scholarship assistance. Iowa is currently ranked 26th by US News and is the highest ranking school I've been accepted to. I hear they place well in Chicago. Other than that, I have no idea what my employment prospects are. Would they be as bleak as Loyola and the tier 3 schools if I failed to place in the top 10% and wasn't on the law review? If yes, then why even rank schools outside the top 14?

I'm comfortable living almost anywhere in the US, so location isn't too much of a factor. Which school is the best value assuming I don't get into Penn, Duke, Cornell, Emory, or WUSTL?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: Iowa and Loyola LA vs. 4 tier 3 schools with full tuition

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:47 pm

None of those options give you a decent shot at biglaw by any means. You're right in saying that outside the t14 it is very difficult to say the least. With that said, SLU with a fullride is not a terrible option to be honest. Biglaw is almost entirely out of the picture unless law review and top 5-10% but SLU has a fighting chance in St.Louis's midlaw market. Certainly a better option than either of the other fullrides you received in my opinion.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:02 am

Loyola-Los Angeles or Iowa or Nebraska ? Don't pay full price for law school with these options. Visit Loyola & see if it fits.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:07 am

If you're cool living in Omaha or Lincoln, full ride at Nebraska doesn't sound all that bad. I bet there are a few decent sized firms there, and I bet the school does well with them.

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:59 pm

What are your numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:01 pm

You won't have an excellent chance of being top 10% at ttt schools sorry.

New

Post by 80884 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:46 pm

dont forget you can be a RA and get very cheap IA in state for L2-3.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Egregious Nebraska trolling. Nebraska is a tier 2.

total_loss

New

Post by total_loss » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:04 pm

rippimpc wrote:Also, I shouldn't be more than 50,000 dollars in debt after I graduate which is a big deal since I'm not sure I will land a high paying job right out of law school.
Minimizing debt is definitely a big deal ITE. Best value school is Nebraska or Loyola.

Nebraska probably places well within its very small region, and you'd have minimal debt upon graduation due to your full-ride and the COL being very low in Lincoln. Loyola is also not a bad option, though you're still paying for school plus very expensive COL in Los Angeles (approx. $20K per year). COL alone is greater than the $50K in debt you're expecting out of Loyola.

Don't assume you'll be in the top 10% or on Law Review at any of these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 pm

This topic is already skewed because you didn't mention that Loyola has a top 30% stip.

rippimpc

New

Post by rippimpc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:44 pm

FiveSermon wrote:You won't have an excellent chance of being top 10% at ttt schools sorry.
Why is that?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:48 pm

rippimpc wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:You won't have an excellent chance of being top 10% at ttt schools sorry.
Why is that?
I'm no mathematician, but I'd say your chances of landing in the top 10% border on roughly...10%.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jammin3218

New

Post by jammin3218 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:15 am

Just wondering--so you are saying you are one of the ten "1834 scholar" full tuition (and COL) scholarship winners at SLU? If so, congrats. I got their 2nd highest level @ $78,000 (or $26K per year). But it is still a 3rd tier school now and second fiddle to WUSL. My top picks are IA, WI and IL--will be one of those for sure. Did you apply at Indy (not Maurer)? They give good money too if the stats are right. But they place prrimarily in IN.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”