Vanderbilt (60K) vs. IU-B (120K) vs. Iowa (120K) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Vanderbilt (60K)
81%
Indiana (120K)
11%
Iowa (120K)
8%

Total votes: 36

Keats

New

Vanderbilt (60K) vs. IU-B (120K) vs. Iowa (120K)

Post by Keats » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Just got the letter from Vandy, and I think it’s a game-changer. I went there for undergrad, and I love the campus, I love Nashville, I love it all. I’d love to spend three more years there but I wasn’t getting my hopes up because I’m pretty averse to debt and I wasn’t expecting this kind of money from them. I’ll be visiting Indiana and Iowa for their ASDs (I’ve never been to either campus), but in the meantime I need to decide whether Vanderbilt’s offer will be feasible for me. I have very little saved up, so I’ll have to rely on loans more than I’d like to, but essentially what it comes down to is whether the hole I’ll be digging myself into is one I’ll be able to dig out of within 4-5 years. If it isn’t, I don’t know how much it matters that I love Nashville, because I don’t want to deprive myself of financial flexibility in the long run. Any advice will be appreciated.

JCougar

Gold

Re: Vanderbilt (60K) vs. IU-B (120K) vs. Iowa (120K)

Post by JCougar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:04 am

Keats wrote:Just got the letter from Vandy, and I think it’s a game-changer. I went there for undergrad, and I love the campus, I love Nashville, I love it all. I’d love to spend three more years there but I wasn’t getting my hopes up because I’m pretty averse to debt and I wasn’t expecting this kind of money from them. I’ll be visiting Indiana and Iowa for their ASDs (I’ve never been to either campus), but in the meantime I need to decide whether Vanderbilt’s offer will be feasible for me. I have very little saved up, so I’ll have to rely on loans more than I’d like to, but essentially what it comes down to is whether the hole I’ll be digging myself into is one I’ll be able to dig out of within 4-5 years. If it isn’t, I don’t know how much it matters that I love Nashville, because I don’t want to deprive myself of financial flexibility in the long run. Any advice will be appreciated.
I'd stay away from Indiana unless 1) you want to work in Indiana, and 2) you have zero aspirations for biglaw.

ITE, I'd say Vandy is the right choice. Iowa's not a bad school, but it's OCI really got hammered by the recession. Vandy's numbers are down too, but they're still fairly strong, and my guess is that they're more poised for a quick rebound.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:24 am

Vandy.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:27 am

Vanderbilt, then Iowa, then indiana.

Keats

New

Post by Keats » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Appreciate the feedback. Looks like TLS has spoken.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”