Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Oblivion_08

Bronze

Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Post by Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:27 am

Before I post this, I want every jerk on this site to know there is no need to bash me because I've decided to go to Tier 3 or 4 schools. I have a job waiting for me once I complete law school, one that has a very high salary, so don't give me crap about "you're going to be poor".

Now I need help please!

I was accepted into
Thomas Jefferson Law with money
Western State Law with money

Wait list
Whittier

Waiting on
Chapman
Southwestern
Loyola(longshot)
USC(LONGSHOT)
Pepperdine(longshot)

How is Thomas Jefferson in comparison to Whittier, Southwestern and Western State Law?

Which one of those should I avoid? And which one would be the best choice(if we don't include money in the mix)

Zabini

Bronze

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Post by Zabini » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:03 am

If you have a good job lined up already, then just go wherever your debt will be the least significant. Or maybe take on some extra debt if it means living someplace beautiful, idk.

edit: I'd probably go to Thomas Jefferson out of all those...San Diego is awesome plus you might get some lay prestige from the name.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:29 am

I hear Southwestern is a pretty sweet spot.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:33 am

Lowest cost best location and don't stress about grades if you've got a big money job lined up.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Before I post this, I want every jerk on this site to know there is no need to bash me because I've decided to go to Tier 3 or 4 schools. I have a job waiting for me once I complete law school, one that has a very high salary, so don't give me crap about "you're going to be poor".

Now I need help please!

I was accepted into
Thomas Jefferson Law with money
Western State Law with money

Wait list
Whittier

Waiting on
Chapman
Southwestern
Loyola(longshot)
USC(LONGSHOT)
Pepperdine(longshot)

How is Thomas Jefferson in comparison to Whittier, Southwestern and Western State Law?

Which one of those should I avoid? And which one would be the best choice(if we don't include money in the mix)
Have you been to the area of Fullerton that Western State is at? It's Shitty. Compare this to TJ's new facility in downtown San Diego. If you're not concerned about job prospects, then I'd definitely go with TJ. The cost of living might be a little higher, but you could always find a place a little outside downtown San Diego, say Clairemont or Mission Hills, and take the trolley to the school, which would shave between 100-250 dollars a month off your rent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Cheapest possible school since you already have a job lined up.

The differences between these schools is negligible so take the money and run.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Has no one thought of the possibility that he stated that he has "big money" lined up so that we'd actually tell him where to go instead of telling him to retake?

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07 am

Check attrition rates and avoid schools that'll flunk you out (i.e Whittier)

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 am

I'm not sure which of these schools is best, but from what I've heard (only from a few people so take it with a grain of salt..), Whittier and Western did not sound like good places to go to. If you already have job security, go to TJ and enjoy SD!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waitlisteddd

New

Post by waitlisteddd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:45 am

any stips on the schollies? make sure you consider that before going solely based on $.

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:48 pm

I have a job lined up for me to work with my cousin in Beverly Hills(if I don't get a better opportunity that is). My fiancee is going to live in LA will that be a big problem?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:51 pm

YourCaptain wrote:Has no one thought of the possibility that he stated that he has "big money" lined up so that we'd actually tell him where to go instead of telling him to retake?
that is probably what is going on. if he was really wealthy and well-connected, he'd buy his way into Loyola or USD.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:58 pm

General Tso wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:Has no one thought of the possibility that he stated that he has "big money" lined up so that we'd actually tell him where to go instead of telling him to retake?
that is probably what is going on. if he was really wealthy and well-connected, he'd buy his way into Loyola or USD.
+1

and retake

From now on we need screenshots of "wealthy parents" bank accounts, pics of pay stubs from cousins and screenshots of all TTT and TTTT scholarship offers.
Last edited by drmguy on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Retake or don't go. You're going to be poor.

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:06 pm

I can't retake, and if you consider 70,000 a year very wealthy..then fine. My cousin is an attorney, and he is offering me a job once I am completed if I can't find one.

The reason I can't retake is because I took it twice and I don't want to go through it again. This test is not for me. I studied for 4 months and never hit the 160's. I don't think that makes me stupid, but the test is a tough test for me.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:07 pm

if your rich cousin doesn't care what shit hole school his attorneys attended, why do you care?

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:09 pm

My "rich cousin" went to a "shithole"(Southwestern TTT) and he is now "rich". Why must you label everything, I am just asking a question, you don't have to butt in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:10 pm

you better get that job offer in writing, or else you might end up like Scott's Tots

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 pm

I think that generally Thomas Jefferson has a terrible reputation, I think of it as the worst of the worst... just based on stuff I have read about it. That said, I would go to the place that you will have the least debt/ and be happiest attending.

You may have a great job line up now, but, God forbid something happens to your cousin or your cousin's firm, what would you do then? Make sure you have a debt burden that you can handle.

Good luck!!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:23 pm

What happens if the job isn't there when you graduate? It's one thing if your dad is a senior partner firm at a solid firm, but trusting your cousin with a 100k investment??? That seems too risky.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Ret....damn it, can't do it.

Go with a combination of minimizing debt and are you enjoy the most, adjusting the proportion as you see fit.

Some of you guys are coming across as bitter. Not sure if its a fair assessment or not, but the guy is in a good spot, just bid him well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm not banking on my cousin, but he does tell me that he will offer me a position. I'm not worried about finding a job, I never am, I am confident enough to know that I will have a job, and the money is not a problem(I had an account from when I was 3 to save up for grad/med/law school). Not because i'm "rich". So someone please answer the question I asked without trying to ridicule me. Thanks.

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Ret....damn it, can't do it.

Go with a combination of minimizing debt and are you enjoy the most, adjusting the proportion as you see fit.

Some of you guys are coming across as bitter. Not sure if its a fair assessment or not, but the guy is in a good spot, just bid him well.
I'll never retake. And I'm a Lakers fan man, good luck to your boys I'm gonna sign off and watch this game.

And thank you for wishing me well, I wish you and everyone here well as well.

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Having a job lined up won't matter if you don't pass the bar, and both Thomas Jefferson and Whittier have pretty bad bar passage rates. Go to Southwestern or Chapman if you can.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Is it just me or did the rich parents/job lined up/don't worry about debt because i have an excuse threads increase exponentially recently.

I am not saying that OP is doing the same thing, but it seems that people have realized if they make an excuse it will quell the retake hoards.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”