Wait a year vs. Idaho
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:37 pm
I'm really trying to decide whether or not to attend the University of Idaho (for in-state price) or whether to wait a year, work, and retake the LSAT (for those curious, my stats are in my profile, and I have an LSN page under the same moniker).
My situation is a little more complicated than most. My wife wants to either start a dental assisting program or beauty school next fall too. The Moscow-Pullman area appears to only have a beauty school, so that limits her choice.
Also, with her being in school too, we'll be doubling up on our debt next year with neither of us being able to work much. End result= going to Idaho next year will cost me more than paying the full out of state cost when my wife's schooling cost is taken into account. (I'm assuming about 10k total for her schooling).
The real cost to me, is in opportunity cost. We'd both be missing out on wages while accruing debt to cover both of our tuition and living costs during that year. I think it may be smarter for me to wait a year, retake the LSAT, work to put her through her program, volunteer, etc. and let her finish whatever it is she decides to go into (they're both only one year programs).
Worst case scenario is that I'd end up at Idaho in a year in a situation where much less debt will be taken on, and my wife will be able to work while I'm in school. Best case, I knock the LSAT out of the park and go somewhere higher ranked (I PTed as high as 159, and averaged about a 156 on 3.5 weeks of study, I was still REALLY struggling with LG games on test day, and I also didn't finish the RC section during the test..ended up with a 154, though I did really well on the LR and RC (the ones I finished at least)
I'm only 22, so I've got options.
My question is, is it at all financially justifiable to take on that much debt for Idaho this year? I'll be visiting the campus next week.. should I bring this up? Would any amount of merit or need-based aid justify it?
I'm thinking no, but wondering if I'm missing something that should be factored into the equation..
My situation is a little more complicated than most. My wife wants to either start a dental assisting program or beauty school next fall too. The Moscow-Pullman area appears to only have a beauty school, so that limits her choice.
Also, with her being in school too, we'll be doubling up on our debt next year with neither of us being able to work much. End result= going to Idaho next year will cost me more than paying the full out of state cost when my wife's schooling cost is taken into account. (I'm assuming about 10k total for her schooling).
The real cost to me, is in opportunity cost. We'd both be missing out on wages while accruing debt to cover both of our tuition and living costs during that year. I think it may be smarter for me to wait a year, retake the LSAT, work to put her through her program, volunteer, etc. and let her finish whatever it is she decides to go into (they're both only one year programs).
Worst case scenario is that I'd end up at Idaho in a year in a situation where much less debt will be taken on, and my wife will be able to work while I'm in school. Best case, I knock the LSAT out of the park and go somewhere higher ranked (I PTed as high as 159, and averaged about a 156 on 3.5 weeks of study, I was still REALLY struggling with LG games on test day, and I also didn't finish the RC section during the test..ended up with a 154, though I did really well on the LR and RC (the ones I finished at least)
I'm only 22, so I've got options.
My question is, is it at all financially justifiable to take on that much debt for Idaho this year? I'll be visiting the campus next week.. should I bring this up? Would any amount of merit or need-based aid justify it?
I'm thinking no, but wondering if I'm missing something that should be factored into the equation..