serious help please :) california vs. the northeast Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
feminista

New

serious help please :) california vs. the northeast

Post by feminista » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:10 pm

I've been accepted into:

Atlanta's John Marshall
University of DC
New England
Thomas Jefferson
Whittier
California Western

I'm trying to find the 2010 bar passage rate and job placement stats upon graduation (or 6 monts therafter) but I'm finding it difficult to find accurate and up to date numbers.

I've also been waitlisted from:

American
University of Baltimore
New York Law School
Univerisity of San Francisco
Suffolk

The 6 I have been accepted into request initial seat deposits by early April. So I dont think I have time to hear back from my "waits." My GPA (Philosophy Major) was a 3.9. However, my LSAT was only a 150 (major anxiety). So this is what I ended up with. Any suggestions on which one to choose? California vs. Northeast. I appreciate any feedback.

PS- I want to get into politics. Specifically LGBT and women's issues.

Sincerely,

Anxiously Awaiting

bk1

Diamond

Re: serious help please :) california vs. the northeast

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:12 pm

If you want to get into politics I don't think a JD is necessarily the best option for you.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:14 pm

The resounding answer you will hear on this board is for you to conquer your anxiety and retake the LSAT.

feminista

New

Post by feminista » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:14 pm

i want to practice first. law school isn't up for debate at this point :)

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:15 pm

Is retaking a possibility?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:15 pm

feminista wrote:i want to practice first. law school isn't up for debate at this point :)
Then retake the LSAT and don't go to these schools as they are horrible investments considering they will cost you over $100,000 and leave you with dismal employment prospects.

feminista

New

Post by feminista » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:17 pm

I already took it twice. Retaking is not an option either. I dont mind not attending 1, 2, or even a 3 tier school. Especially since I am fairly confident to graduate at the top 5% at a 3/4th tier. I just really need some advice on the options that i do have. thank you <3

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Don't go. Get some work experience. Retake the LSAT. I was hungover taking the LSAT and it helped me to deal with anxiety. You don't have to do that, but find something that works for you. IMHO, anything below 165 is a waste of your really good GPA.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:17 pm

feminista wrote:I already took it twice. Retaking is not an option either. I dont mind not attending 1, 2, or even a 3 tier school. Especially since I am fairly confident to graduate at the top 5% at a 3/4th tier. I just really need some advice on the options that i do have. thank you <3
oooooooooh shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:18 pm

If you want a good picture of employment prospects of the schools you have listed check out
http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/.

Don't waste a 3.9 gpa. If you retook and score in the high 160's or above you would have a good shot at the best law schools in the country.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Talk to a doctor about some medications that could help with your anxiety and retake. Or pursue meditation or something. Whatever works for you. Don't go to any of those schools.

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:21 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
feminista wrote:I already took it twice. Retaking is not an option either. I dont mind not attending 1, 2, or even a 3 tier school. Especially since I am fairly confident to graduate at the top 5% at a 3/4th tier. I just really need some advice on the options that i do have. thank you <3
oooooooooh shit.
joemvoviebuff is right. You never know. Many people that go to those schools do so becaause they get a full ride. To think that you going to score on law exams better than 19 other people taking it is very risky.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:21 pm

feminista wrote:
I'm trying to find the 2010 bar passage rate and job placement stats upon graduation (or 6 monts therafter) but I'm finding it difficult to find accurate and up to date numbers.
Keep looking. The only data you will find will be made up by the schools in question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:21 pm

My advice is threefold:

1. Everybody assumes they will do well in law school, but because it is curved they won't. 100% of the class thinks they will be in the top 10% before they start, 90% of them will be wrong.

2. Have you actually put all the possible effort you can into the LSAT? If not you should retake.

3. If you are committed to going to a bad school then go to the cheapest possible one with the easiest scholarship requirements in the area you want to work.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:21 pm

feminista wrote: Especially since I am fairly confident to graduate at the top 5% at a 3/4th tier.

This should not be assumed. first of all you said it yourself you have "major anxiety" when it comes to big tests. In most cases your final law school exam is 100% of your grade. also these law schools often get "smarter" people to go to their school by giving them full rides

feminista

New

Post by feminista » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Wow. A friend found this forum and thought it may help me make a decision. But the replies I have received thus far just seem so elitist. I really just want suggestions on the options I already have. I don't believe one must attend Harvard to obtain a job post graduation. Anyone else? Thank you in advance.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:29 pm

feminista wrote:Wow. A friend found this forum and thought it may help me make a decision. But the replies I have received thus far just seem so elitist. I really just want suggestions on the options I already have. I don't believe one must attend Harvard to obtain a job post graduation. Anyone else? Thank you in advance.
We're not being elitist. The fact is that these lower tiered schools cost the same amount of money as the good schools yet their employment prospects are dramatically different. You're going to have to take $150,000 in loans out for many of these schools, how are you going to repay that if you end up in a smalllaw job that pays you 40k/year?

My serious advice is the same as before, if you absolutely must go to law school then pick the one that will leave you in the least amount of debt so that if you get a smalllaw job (which is basically the majority of jobs available at these schools) then at least you won't have a mountain of debt to pay back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:30 pm

feminista wrote:Wow. A friend found this forum and thought it may help me make a decision. But the replies I have received thus far just seem so pragmatic elitist. I really just want suggestions on the options I already have. I don't believe one must attend Harvard to obtain a job post graduation. Anyone else? Thank you in advance.
FTFY

feminista

New

Post by feminista » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:31 pm

FTFY???

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:33 pm

feminista wrote:FTFY???
It means "fixed that for you." And what he is saying is that we are being pragmatic rather than elitist (which is true).

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Listen to everyone else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:37 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Take a look at the schools you are willing to pay sticker for.

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Why not get an MPA rather than JD? GRE is considered (at least by people I know) to be a much easier test than LSAT. Besides, if you really interested in politics rather than practicing law, it might open more doors in the field you wanna get into. And it is only 2 years of school/debt.

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:39 pm

TheFactor wrote:http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/

Take a look at the schools you are willing to pay sticker for.
Bear in mind those are numbers prior to recession.

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:40 pm

feminista wrote:Wow. A friend found this forum and thought it may help me make a decision. But the replies I have received thus far just seem so elitist. I really just want suggestions on the options I already have. I don't believe one must attend Harvard to obtain a job post graduation. Anyone else? Thank you in advance.
Giving you solid advice is not being elitist. You took the test twice and "retaking is not an option" after you did not do well the second time. Retaking is your only option if you want to actually work after law school is done. Good luck, OP, but I fail to see how you'll make the top 10% anywhere when you've already given up so easily on only one learn-able test.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”